Chromebook- good for WoW?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-14-Pavi...me-OS/33120738

I saw this in Walmart today and I'm really keen on getting it....but the deal breaker for me is if it:

A) Can't play WoW.
    B) Won't be good at writing scripts on the go.

Anyone else have experience with gaming on Chromebooks to let me know how it went?

SUPER MEAT BOY!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely can't play wow... as it's Chrome OS and not Windows/Mac/Linux. Even if it was, it would be too weak, and have too small a drive.

There are $300 laptops that can play WoW, though. Not amazingly, but can play.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Is the OP serious? Chromebooks are really only meant for mobile computing. They do not run Windows or Mac applications.

Edit.
    Should have seen the Walmart link... They were serious.

You'd run out of hard drive space before you finish installing wow

Quote Originally Posted by Moondance View Post
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-14-Pavi...me-OS/33120738

I saw this in Walmart today and I'm really keen on getting it....but the deal breaker for me is if it:

A) Can't play WoW.
    B) Won't be good at writing scripts on the go.

Anyone else have experience with gaming on Chromebooks to let me know how it went?
    The specs are decent enough to play WoW, on low, prob sub 30FPS. And i wouldnt raid with it.

Problem is the OS isnt a supported OS, and you only have 16GB of SSD space. You COULD shell out the cash for a bigger SSD, but at that point you might as well just buy a real laptop with a HDD.

TL;DR No.

No, you can't play Warcraft on it.

If you want a tablet, if I may suggest, buy an iPad.

Does Chrome OS have some equivalent of Wine? Could emulate it, you'd need an external HDD, no idea what kind of performance you'd get though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Does Chrome OS have some equivalent of Wine? Could emulate it, you'd need an external HDD, no idea what kind of performance you'd get though.
    You can install Linux on them and in theory run it that way, but performance would be terrible. Also depends on the processor. Some of them are ARM based and wouldn't run it at all.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Chromebooks aren't really good for anything anymore, their purpose have practically been eclipsed by tablets and ultrabooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Skayaq View Post
    Chromebooks aren't really good for anything anymore, their purpose have practically been eclipsed by tablets and ultrabooks.
    Depends, like I said a post up you could get one of those dual core Intel machines with a 320GB HDD and plop Ubuntu on it. Can't beat that for 200 bucks.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Depends, like I said a post up you could get one of those dual core Intel machines with a 320GB HDD and plop Ubuntu on it. Can't beat that for 200 bucks.
    assuming it has a sata drive and not soldered on flash

but there are a few linux distros for the samsumg chromebook, the first one that comes to mind for me is Kali, but thats not a distro for normal people

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why one would go through the work of swapping drives.. installing linux.. blah blah blah... When you can just get a laptop. With windows. Thats plays wow out of the box. For the same price >.>
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Definitely can't play wow... as it's Chrome OS and not Windows/Mac/Linux. Even if it was, it would be too weak, and have too small a drive.

There are $300 laptops that can play WoW, though. Not amazingly, but can play.
    Awesome! Good to hear. Had NO idea it was this "Chrome OS" you guys are telling me about.
    Even so, I was so keen on buying it just because it's aqua coloured.

Quote Originally Posted by Titheon View Post
    No, you can't play Warcraft on it.

If you want a tablet, if I may suggest, buy an iPad.
    Have one...It's weird to type on......I like keyboards :P

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    You'd run out of hard drive space before you finish installing wow
    That's what a 64GB flash drive is for!!!! ^o^!

SUPER MEAT BOY!!!!

I don't see why one would go through the work of swapping drives.. installing linux.. blah blah blah... When you can just get a laptop. With windows. Thats plays wow out of the box. For the same price >.>
    For fun!

But seriously, just get a cheap windows laptop. Much less headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondance View Post
    Awesome! Good to hear. Had NO idea it was this "Chrome OS" you guys are telling me about.
    Even so, I was so keen on buying it just because it's aqua coloured.

Have one...It's weird to type on......I like keyboards :P

That's what a 64GB flash drive is for!!!! ^o^!
    Hey you, they make keyboards for IPAD's, my roommate has one, and he imports word files from his IPAD onto his laptop at home(Windows). It's awesome and much easier to carry around vs a laptop. On another note HEARTHSTONE ON IPAD released last night! Another reason to use your ipad

Quote Originally Posted by Zlebar View Post
    Hey you, they make keyboards for IPAD's, my roommate has one, and he imports word files from his IPAD onto his laptop at home(Windows). It's awesome and much easier to carry around vs a laptop. On another note HEARTHSTONE ON IPAD released last night! Another reason to use your ipad
    Hearthstone on iPad? BADASS! So gonna start multi-purposing my iPad.
    (BTW, I had a zagg keyboard for my iPad.........but it broke easily...turned off by iPad Keyboards because of it.
    Alas, I should just get a new one and not get a PC)

Thanks everyone! You guys were great help. I'm just not gonna get the chrome book.

SUPER MEAT BOY!!!!

Can't you just get any old bluetooth keyboard for ~20 bucks and pair it with your iPad instead of buying an "ipad keyboard"?

I was referring to something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C710-2055...+c7+chromebook

Used to go for $200 before it got discontinued. So a 6 hour, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM super slim notebook on the cheap if you toss Linux on it. They make unlocking the BIOS accessible as well. I'm not sure what other models use HDD over the flash memory now, though.

As far as WoW, I wasn't even referring to it, just the fact that it's one of the better deals for ultra portability on the cheap.

build pics

The C720 is a similar price with a haswell generation Celeron.

Can you put Linux on any chromebook, so long as it has a non-ARM CPU?

I'm not sure about all of them, but the C7 Acer line and the Samsung ARM based model can have their BIOS unlocked. Also, even if it's ARM there are still ARM compatible distros of Ubuntu (and many others). You just get a more limited software selection and lack of WINE support.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-04-18 at 03:29 PM.

build pics