Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Buying a video card. Need some advice on comparisons.

As the title says, I've been without a video card for a few years. They've always been too expensive. But now I'm looking to invest about $250 into one. I'm comparing the R9 270X and the GTX 760 for playing WoW, D3 and perhaps some other RPG games. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on something better around my price range.

This is my Motherboard. (I believe)
    And this is my PSU. (Although I'm pretty sure when I got it, the PSU had 28A on the 12V rail)

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    As the title says, I've been without a video card for a few years. They've always been too expensive. But now I'm looking to invest about $250 into one. I'm comparing the R9 270X and the GTX 760 for playing WoW, D3 and perhaps some other RPG games. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on something better around my price range.

This is my Motherboard. (I believe)
    And this is my PSU. (Although I'm pretty sure when I got it, the PSU had 28A on the 12V rail)
    If you're going to Play Blizzard game get the Nvidia card. I went from a gtx 760 to a r9-290x and I barely noticed a difference in WoW or D3. But I had significant increases in every other game I played (like almost double the fps) iF You are going to play BF4 and other graphically intensive games I would go for a r9-280. And I would compare the gtx 760 to a amd r9-280 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127789 overall I would get the r9-280 over the gtx 760 but I would get a gtx 760 over a r9-270x.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

The 760 is generally faster than a 270X, and EVGA is very trustworthy with their stuff at least their reputation around here is o.O.

As someone with horrible past experiences with ATI/AMD cards and the fact i always go for the most performance i can only recommend the 760.

Plus, Blizzard games like nvidia drivers and the opposite hence they generally run better when it comes to those games ;D

Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    If you're going to Play Blizzard game get the Nvidia card. I went froma gtx 760 to a r9-290x and I barely noticed a difference in WoW or D3. iF You are going to play BF4 and games similar with that AMD might benefit you. And I would compare the gtx 760 to a amd r9-280 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127789 overall I would get the r9-280 over the gtx 760 but I would get a gtx 760 over a r9-270x.
    You don't notice a difference, because WoW can't fully optimize any of those cards. The highest wow can fully use is a GTX 660 or HD 7870 i think

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    You don't notice a difference, because WoW can't fully optimize any of those cards. The highest wow can fully use is a GTX 660 or HD 7870 i think
    It's over 60fps I know but it does prefer Nvidia cards. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...Gaming/21.html. I have never seen a gtx 680 keep up with a r9-290x in any game but WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

Deleted
    the gtx760 is better than the R9 270x and need 30amps at +12v i think.

15+ Year Old Account
    Would the 760 work all right with my PSU or am I going to have to swap it out too?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1043?vs=1038

This is the site I use to get a decent look at how two video cards compare. It's not the end all, be all, but it's a nice tool to help in your selection.

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

Deleted
    Which CPU and GPU do you have at the moment?

Looking at your mobo, I would geuss an phenom or athlon. With the new gpu you might not see that much improvement compared to your old one.
    Unless you are using the onboard GPU, than a discrete GPU will def help

As far as the PSU goes. I would get a new one, the corsair CX line is crap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I am using onboard, and was raiding 25heroic with no problems, so I guess my CPU isn't half bad. Still, it looks like I'm shopping around for a new PSU as well.

Deleted
    you could look into this. It is a bit more than the 250. You could go for a cheaper PSU I guess from XFX or seasonic. I think I picked the newest version of XFXs 550 watt model. So getting the previous model would save around 10 bucks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($209.98 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $269.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-18 04:37 EDT-0400)

Radeon R9 270X 2GB $189.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814550027

SeaSonic 620w PSU $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151096

$259.98 without shipping.

the GTX760 would perform a little better but cant find one in that price range.
    Total a little more but the recommendation of a r9 270x and GTX 760
    is a 500w psu i think. Trying to keep the total cost as close as possible to $250.
    Last edited by godgunner; 2014-04-18 at 09:29 AM.

Deleted
    upgraded from a gtx285 to 760. honestly for wow and diablo you can't have better for that price range. it looks gorgeous on full details, 120fps in shrine and ground clutter full everywhere not even taking a dip. it's also a very silent card.

get the nvidia one

Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    If you're going to Play Blizzard game get the Nvidia card. I went from a gtx 760 to a r9-290x and I barely noticed a difference in WoW or D3. But I had significant increases in every other game I played (like almost double the fps) iF You are going to play BF4 and other graphically intensive games I would go for a r9-280. And I would compare the gtx 760 to a amd r9-280 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127789 overall I would get the r9-280 over the gtx 760 but I would get a gtx 760 over a r9-270x.
    Oh really? You don't say? Considering that the R9-290x is WAY better than a GTX 760....why are you even comparing the two? It's like comparing the 760 to it's big brother, the GTX 780ti. Of course the 290x is going to be way better in most games...it is a much more powerful card. Herpa derp.

OT: Get the GTX 760. Overall, Nvidia cards seem to work better and are more stable. Also, Nvidia drivers have almost always seemed to be superior to AMD drivers. Source for this information? My own experience as well as the experience of several close friends. We have all had zero issues with Nvidia....however, we've all been screwed at some point in time by AMD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe Nvidia is better, i recently replaced my 2 year old 7970 with a 770GTX (first one lost the color green on the hdmi port what made it impossible for me to play games and watch videos on the screen)

I used this article to cement my decision. Cards of April 2014
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

15+ Year Old Account
    I've definitely decided to go with the 760. Funds permitting (Which I hope will), I'll also be upgrading my PSU with a Corsair TX750. Y'know, keeps my options open. Especially considering I'll be upgrading my CPU/MoBo/RAM soon, as well.

Deleted
    750 is to much. You can get away with a good quality 550 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I've definitely decided to go with the 760. Funds permitting (Which I hope will), I'll also be upgrading my PSU with a Corsair TX750. Y'know, keeps my options open. Especially considering I'll be upgrading my CPU/MoBo/RAM soon, as well.
    good quality psu. TX series much more reliable then CX series.
    Last edited by godgunner; 2014-04-18 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by godgunner View Post
    good quality psu. TX series much more reliable then CX series.
    this is total bullshit. dont post if you have no clue. http://www.jonnyguru.com/

You don't need anything better than a gtx 650. Even if you go with a 760 that cx430 psu is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by blancoo View Post
    this is total bullshit. dont post if you have no clue. http://www.jonnyguru.com/
    I think you shouldn't post at all if you claim the CX ones are more reliable than their TX lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    the gtx760 is better than the R9 270x and need 30amps at +12v i think.
    No.. 760's pull around 150-160W max
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D