SSD RAID 0 detected as HDD in W8

So here's a weird one, after imaging my system yesterday and configuring my game storage array, I get this:

The RAID is not my primary drive, it's where I throw installed games. I have the latest RST drivers, I'm using a hardware RAID controller and TRIM is reporting that it's enabled.

Now, I wouldn't care but that scheduled TRIM functionality was nice for peace of mind. From what I understand about TRIM in W7 and W8 is that it can be invoked one of three ways. Either by scheduling it, forcing it or it happening automatically when a file is deleted off of a drive. I have no way to verify if it's invoking upon file deletion, and since it's a RAID and support is already sketchy, I want to fix the detection problem.

Any ideas?

Before anyone rages and says RAID 0 is pointless for SSDs, I know. I use it for quality of life purposes (not having to direct this and that game to go in this and that 120GB drive).
    Last edited by glo; 2014-04-18 at 01:01 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Runing the "Windows Experience Index" should detect the raid as ssd disk. Searhing around internet then again suggests that the raid needs to be the OS disk aswell to be detected.. shrug.

oh and if running 8.1 cmd "winsat prepop" for it.
    Last edited by mmoc198caea9b6; 2014-04-18 at 06:43 PM.

Yeah, it doesn't work when I run it because it's not the boot drive. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I ended up finding this tool that's pretty nifty: https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck

It writes to certain blocks, then erases. Then you open it up again and it checks those exact blocks to see if they were trimmed. My drives apparently check out, so I'm not going to worry about it. Apparently Windows 8 will barrage TRIM commands 24/7 whenever a file is moved, accessed or deleted. I didn't know that until I found that tool and read a little more into the subject.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Before anyone rages and says RAID 0 is pointless for SSDs, I know. I use it for quality of life purposes (not having to direct this and that game to go in this and that 120GB drive).[/I]
    This is absolutely no raging, just genuine interest, but why did you go with two 120GB drives instead of one bigger 250GB drive? Or did you have one 120GB drive to begin with and wanted to upgrade? Why not make the RAID setup the system drive?

I got the drives over time from work connections for 75 bucks (couldn't pass it up at the time), never had an opportunity to get larger drives. At one point I had 3 of the Kingstons in RAID 5 but I put one into a laptop. As for why my OS is on the vertex, mostly out of laziness. I've had the same install rolling since Windows 8 released with weekly image backups. I just don't feel like spending a few days setting everything up all over again.

Once drive prices drop another 25% or so I'll replace them. Kinda want to go crazy with 6x 240GB drives in RAID 50 (striped plus parity).

build pics