Deleted

GTX 780 Non-reference Comparisons question.

Hello, I think I nailed the subforum this time.

As I said in another thread I'm going to upgrade my PC with a GTX 780 so I tried to get some in depth information about the non-reference models. I'm a little confused about something and I hope someone can clarify.

In this video in particular from Linus (go to the 6:50 mark for the results) you can see that the Galaxy GC and the EVGA ACX are on top, this is of course because of the higher clock speeds shown a few seconds later.

So does that mean that the EVGA ACX card is better than say the ASUS DirectCU II card or can I simply buy the ASUS DirectCU II card and boost it up to the same clock that the EVGA ACX comes with and get same/better results? or does the new "GPU Boost 2.0" technology basically limit the boost clock to what is shown in the video?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone? I'd like to place my order as soon as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people were able to overclock the Asus more than the Gigabyte. Found a nifty tutorial too just in case
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

15+ Year Old Account
    You generally won't see any meaningful differences between different companies of the same model card. At least not clock wise. Temperatures and acoustics may differ.

What you have to realize is when looking at the videos by Linus is that they overclock the cards they test. Technically this should show the best clocking card but due to the small sample size (they only test one card) it means jack all because of the way different batches of the same chip behave. You could take 10 EVGA ACX 780's and have the best reaching 1.3GHz and the worse only 1.2GHz and everything else somewhere in between (made up numbers).

So in summary; Every GPU even within the same brand and model acts differently so it's hard to draw definite conclusions on what's the best. The gap between great clocking 780 and the reference model isn't large enough to warrant your decision based on that only so what you should do is pick the best priced card with a cooler you are satisfied with and go from there.