Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Blizzards next MMO, what will they have learned from WoW?

What would they change and what do they keep to make their next MMO the most successful MMO on the market. What did they learn from WoW and what do you think it might look like in design?
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Deleted
    it will be full of micro transactions for sure

10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizzard is smart they shouldn't make a new MMO and keep their focus on WoW because WoW is still the big bad boy after 10 years on the MMO market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    it will be full of micro transactions for sure
    I don't doubt this. F2P with microtransactions seems to be very profitable for the short term.

If they build something from scratch they should accept that dividing the player pool into antagonistic factions is a bad idea for any MMO, seeing as player numbers are bound to shift drastically towards the one side that has the upper hand as soon as that side can be clearly identified. That and the thing that classic server structures simply aren't working in our time anymore, since they are either not suitable for the release rush of a game and its xpacs or highly unprofitable in the long run, and create glaring imbalances between community standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmox Goreaxe View Post
    I don't doubt this. F2P with microtransactions seems to be very profitable for the short term.
    Hm. I bet they'll go with subscriptions again for a spiritual successor to WoW when the time comes and keep micro transactions for cosmetics only as it is now. They're doing well with the model, despite the thing that barely any other MMO does. Blizzard likes to think long term.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-04-20 at 08:47 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Whatever it is it will end up costing the average wow player as much or more than they spend now.

Deleted
    Hopefully they will know how to separate PVP and PVE fairly

Whatever it is, we will surely be getting new content very slowly

The primary thing I'm betting is they will make the player base ONE SINGLE FACTION. No warring factions between the player base.

They will still have PVP - but it will be just between players, not opposing factions. That's all PVPers want is to fight another set of players when they get right down to it. Make it one faction, and you COMPLETELY eliminate queue times, side balance issues, racial imbalance issues and DESIGN balance issues (coughCataclysmcough).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    Whatever it is, we will surely be getting new content very slowly
    Nah - I bet they'd have very fast content, but it would be within one year... and that year would be set strategically between the final WOW expansion raid and the next expansions' release dates in hopes to get you hopping over from one to the other and back again next year

Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    Hopefully they will know how to separate PVP and PVE fairly
    Yes and "fair" would be spending far far less time on PVP and use that time gained for PVE, we could have extra dungeons or maybe a raid if they didn't waste time pandering to what is essentially a little time waster (PVP) for when you aren't raiding or leveling.

That you can't please everyone in their unfortunately toxic community.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Regarding the need for one faction. It would not be necessary if the game was designed to support switching factions.

Imagine everyone starts off neutral for PvP, until they declare themselves. Obviously it would need to be much more involved than the simple /pvp flag we have today, but that is why we're discussing a new MMO. To correct past mistakes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madyaks View Post
    Yes and "fair" would be spending far far less time on PVP and use that time gained for PVE, we could have extra dungeons or maybe a raid if they didn't waste time pandering to what is essentially a little time waster (PVP) for when you aren't raiding or leveling.
    I don't think you understand what fair is supposed to mean?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

They won't make a new MMO. Titan was going to be one back during the "MMO gold rush" when people thought that MMOs were the next big thing, but it turned out that WoW was just a one time thing in that regard, and the rest of them failed to get anywhere near its height or popularity. When it became clear that there was no market for it, the original plans for Titan basically got scrapped. It's basically shelved right now, and whatever they do with it, it won't be an MMO.

they should make wow 2.0
    Spec: i5 4670k - MSI Z87M-G43 - HyperX 8GB -Corsair H100 - GTX 980 ti

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there will be one big server something like universe. Different kind of planets or time rifts and time traveling could be fun. Micro transactions maybe but i think they will keep monthly payment as a major income.
    To be serious we gonna wait for next mmo from blizz probably like 10y. For sure ill get some grey hairs over my head before that day will come.

Deleted
    Can people under NDA talk on MMo-Champion?

Deleted
    If Blizzard cared about art they would try to make something that can recapture the feeling that many players got playing WoW for the first time again. Something crafted and something, like WoW at release, which takes the current paradigm of MMORPG design and improve it.

But Blizzard is now run by business people, so instead we can expect Blizzard to keep making crappy WoW expansions each two years until the game stops being profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmox Goreaxe View Post
    Box price, subscription and microtransactions seems to be even more profitable. As long as you have customers that don't mind being charged 3 times for the same thing.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the main thing they have learned from WOW is that they don't need another MMO. WOW has at least 20 years left, so they are better off developing games like Hearthstone that is projected to make 30 million dollars in it's first year.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.