Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I'm from Germany, and working time-slots are mostly like 8.00am to 17.00pm, so the average is 8h of work + 1h break (companies and such are legally bound to give their workers a 30min every 4h of work), some jobs (like nurses) tend to work an hour less, while drivers might work an hour more. Sunday work is highly uncommon, usually only people in the food industry, nurses, police and such.
    I'm not bound to working time-slots. My boss wants results and wants to see me when there's a meeting. Other than that he doesn't care when and where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensui06 View Post
    Ugh sounds like you worked for Werner.
    that's like 99% of trucking companies (in the US) since those are the FMCSA regulations

10+ Year Old Account
    Sunday work is very common here in the states now for major companies, but is not as common for private practices, small companies, mom-and-pop shops.

Like my father worked at a clinic as a physician assistant and he had weekends off for as long as I can remember. And I think the small sandwich shops by my apartment close on Sundays.

But big retailers, Target, Sears, Walmart, etc, are all open Sundays, though for fewer hours.

I work at an airport and I'm lucky to have weekends off, a deal I was only able to get from my boss because I frequently give up a weekend for the Reserves.

<- Maine, USA.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedshodd View Post
    I'm from Germany, and working time-slots are mostly like 8.00am to 17.00pm, so the average is 8h of work + 1h break (companies and such are legally bound to give their workers a 30min every 4h of work), some jobs (like nurses) tend to work an hour less, while drivers might work an hour more. Sunday work is highly uncommon, usually only people in the food industry, nurses, police and such.
    I'm not bound to working time-slots. My boss wants results and wants to see me when there's a meeting. Other than that he doesn't care when and where I work.
    That's not correct...
    For Germany §§ 4, 5 ArbZG is the law....
    The law says nothing about 4 hrs and 30 min break.
    Instead the law says for work between 6 - 9 hrs a 30 min break is the law. Whereas the break time counts toward time present in the company. 8hrs work + 1 hr break = 9 hrs. If the 9 hrs are exceeded longer break time has to be applied.
    The vast majority of jobs in Germany working 8.5 hrs - 8,75 hrs, as follows: 2 hours work 15 min break, 2 hrs work 30 min break, 2 hrs work 10 min break, remaining time worked til off.
    Break times of less than 15 min do NOT count towards breaks, and are therefore fully paid.
    The unions working out the deals with the companies, as to how the breaks are dealt with. Bigger companies in certain industries, plus government employees have very generous break regulations.
    The bigger companies giving the 15 min breaks away as a benefit. Only the lunch break is counted, if at all.
    I myself worked in one of Europe's biggest printing companies, and our official work time was 8 hours flat... All breaks within have been fully paid.
    I also worked at the "Bundesanstalt fuer Arbeit" (Federal Employment Service) for a year, and even though my time at work was 8.5 hrs (8 hrs paid). The total amount of breaks exceeded 2 hours. I started the day with a 15 min coffee break at 7... At 9 I had a 30 min breakfast break, one hour lunch at noon. another 30 min coffee break at 2. And at 3:30 I got home.
    All in all, in over 25 yrs in the German workforce, I've never had 9 hour days with 1 hr break deduction.

Sunday work is frequent in the printing business... The company I was in, works 7 days a week.
    Those monday newspapers..... they getting printed on Sunday, and are usually available around midnight at various locations like grand central station etc.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2014-04-23 at 03:00 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I work 8:30 to 4:30 in IT. I have to work some evenings and some weekends depending on projects and server upgrades/updates/installs etc... However usually if I am working non normal hours I can work from home. The only thing I don't like is that I have a very long commute (about an hour 1 way), to avoid traffic I take backroads, it would be nice to work like 10-6 just so that I could take the highways and avoid the majority of traffic.

The U.K. tends to operate a 09:00 - 17:00 Work pattern, although sometimes it's 08:30 - 17:30.

That said, I know a lot of individuals (Mostly in the Technology Sector) who work weekends as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Houston the typical work schedule is 8AM-5PM Monday through Friday, though blue collar workers will often also work Saturday, and service workers, like restaurant employees have completely unpredictable schedules.

That said, the 8-5 crew will also work outside of work hours regularly.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Would actually also be a bit interesting to know how long the commute to/from work is for people. But I'm not the OP, so perhaps not my place to ask.

Deleted
    Holland:

Normal is 9 to 5
    40h a week.
    weekends off.

Depending on field of work ofcourse. My uncle is a fireman, he works 6x 24h shifts and has the rest of the month off.
    That's the dream.

Sunday work is almost non existent except sectors you stated. Working hours vary greatly and mostly depends on sector and your education level but it's save to say that it's between 8-12 hours per day. Shifts, again, depend on what you are doing but mostly 8/9am - 5/6pm.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2014-04-23 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post
    In the US it's common to work 9-5 and have the weekends off. That is of course unless you're in the food industry where you will NEVER have a damn weekend off and you're worked like a dog for little pay. It seems the more well off you are (financially) the less work you need to do. Rich get richer and all that.
    You say this, but it really depends on where you work. I mean if you're going to be anything under management, then yeah, of course you'll be worked like a dog, but you have the potential to make really insane tips, or the potential to make next to nothing. It's sorta like playing a Fire Mage where the ceiling and floor is raised/lowered dramatically compared to other jobs(/classes).

That said though, yeah, typically it's around 9-5 with weekends off, but it really depends on what field you go into. Teachers have to be at school earlier than the students and leave later than them, but they also get almost all of Summer and a week or two in Winter and Spring off as well for vacation/since-there-are-no-students-to-teach. Just check for your specific industry because it's different for a lot of jobs.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.