Thread: Windows 7 vs 8

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Windows 7 vs 8

So wich one do you prefer? 7 looks alot like the previous, and 8 is a total turnaround.
    I'm asking caus i can't decide on the subject myself. Getting a new PC, it would be logical to get "the newest thing" right?
    But how easy is it to adapt to?

Also i noticed that IE:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium EN OEM 64bit SP1

Says it cant be transferred on a new system? Whats that all about? Is that different from a normal license? Or is that like a 1 time usage key in comparison to the retail which can actually be re-used?

10+ Year Old Account
    I solely use 7 and would pay to downgrade to it.

I tried using 8, I really tried. On a family members computer. I got so angry at it I almost punched the screen. Even after a good 20+ hours of using Windows 8 I still despise it. 8.1 slightly fixed it, but it's still awful.

I can't stand Windows8 or maybe I'm not used to it. They have it at a LAN I go and it's bloody annoying navigating through it. So I'll stick to 7 for a while.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post

I tried using 8, I really tried. On a family members computer. I got so angry at it I almost punched the screen. Even after a good 20+ hours of using Windows 8 I still despise it. 8.1 slightly fixed it, but it's still awful.
    It has alot of childrens diseases i take it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I dislike 8 because it unnecessarily moved around some of the more advanced troubleshooting tools and I can't be arsed to figure out where they are. IF IT ISN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT imo..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    I can't stand Windows8 or maybe I'm not used to it. They have it at a LAN I go and it's bloody annoying navigating through it. So I'll stick to 7 for a while.
    First 2 are dislikes hehe :P Can guess where this is going.

Any take on the OEM thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    It has alot of childrens diseases i take it?
    I.. think that went over my head, however much I hate to say that.

10+ Year Old Account

Haha exact same experience with me.

Deleted
    I.. think that went over my head, however much I hate to say that.
    hehe literally translated that. Startup pains? (issues due to it not being optimized being a young product)

i tried win 8 - on a touchscreen PC that I had at the time - thinking it would make it easier -

nope

worst experience i have had with a OS. it functions like a app - and is wayyyyy too far into my business. if i want to check facebook, ill check face book - I dont need my PC yelling at me cause i have a notification. Same with twitter, when i want to check it, ill check it - not need ot puhed in my face.

I feel like I lost a large amount of control with wn 8 so i went back to win 7 - and it will prob be a long time before i switch. It is not broke - sooo
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    OEM Windows licenses are different than full retail versions in that they're cheaper and are intended for systems that are going to be sold to someone else, so they're the license you get on a pre-built system. Getting Windows 8 isn't something you need to do though. Although 8.1 added functionality that allows the OS to operate more like 7, it's still not that great for a lot of people. Personally, I'd get a copy of Windows 7 and put that on your new system.
    So i shoulnd get an OEM when i plan on using it myself? I cant find a windows 7 retail version anywhere in dutch online shops..

I absolutely hate windows 8. change is great when it's needed but changing everything that works perfectly well or only needs a little tweaking just to make some kind of gimmicky abomination is just ridiculous. the changes they made to the menus in office several years ago was bad enough (I still use Office 2003 and refuse to upgrade) but what they've done with windows 8 just defies rational thought

Let me put it this way: I'd use Vista over Windows 8. That's how bad it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    hehe literally translated that. Startup pains? (issues due to it not being optimized being a young product)
    Oh, they've had plenty of time to fix it. The problem is, everything that's wrong with Windows 8 isn't a bug, it's a designer choice. A terrible one at that that they won't fix.

Running 8.1, and after an initial hour of tinkering, mainly turning off log-in requirements and whatnot 8.1 feels to me just like 7, but with much faster start-up times, better general optimization, and much better multi monitor support without third party solutions for me 8 is the way to go.

Not saying its worth the stupid costs to get an upgrade from 7 if thats what you currently had, but as a new system i wouldn't hesitate to get 8.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty much all you'll find these days. Versions that have multiple licenses will be more expensive anyway and by the time you get another computer Win7 may no longer be supported(hopefully replaced with Win9 that's better than 8).
    Soooo ur saying go ahead and buy an OEM?
    Found this http://www.dixons.nl/games-software/...um-gold-3.html
    Seems to be on par in price with the OEM version, they screwing with me or is this a normal retail license?

10+ Year Old Account
    Another problem I had with Windows 8 is because everything opens app style you have to go to the top left of the screen and click it to go to the next thing, continue clicking it to get to what you want. It freezes a fuck ton if you don't have a really really good processor and then you're stuck on a page you don't want to be at, passing the one you wanted, and it's completely frozen. That's just one of the minor problems I've had with Win 8, along with trying to click somewhere and it brings up that shitty bar on the right side of the screen.

It's terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loathe 8 with a passion. I have to use it for work and hate every second of it. I would pay to go back to 7, it is that bad.

It's always best to run the newest version of an OS on new hardware, but in the case of Windows 8, it's not for everyone. With each successive "update" Microsoft is moving back to a more familiar Windows 7 experience, but had they gone with the Apple model -- slow and steady integration of desktop and mobile OSes -- instead of "here it is, DEAL", I think the backlash to any changes would have been very small.

Both are great OSes, but Windows 7 wins for minimum hassle for most folks.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was a diehard Win7 person since it was in beta. When I first saw 8 (beta phase) I tried it and I hated it. When 8.1 got released I decided to give it another try again with a lot of the changes that they made. Now with the update 1 for Windows 8.1 it's getting even better. Start up/Shutdown times are amazing for 8 and on a SSD it's stupid fast as well. The performance (on some things) is better then 7 ever was and some things not but they are equal. 8.1 also added the ability to boot right to the desktop and bypass the stupid Start screen that is what I've always hated about 8 but being able to bypass that and go right to the desktop makes it far easier. Them adding in the windows icon on the taskbar also helped since you can right click it and get to pretty much ANY option that you need to get to. 8.1 is good and with the update for it that is free it just gets better. I really can't see going back to 7 ever again.