Deleted

Order parts from 1 source, or multiple?

What's safer / better:

Choosing from a variety of sources to get ur hardware for the cheapest price (IE: Order motherboard from newegg, CPU from amazon, GPU from ebay, whatever is cheapest), or take a little more cost for granted and order all parts from the same source > saves ALOT of time and communicating when faulty parts, order complications, etc.

Im asking since alot of parts from pc partpicker dont appear to be available everywhere. I can do some flipping around (getting a seagate barracuda instead of a western digital), but i might screw things up in the end if i do to much of that just "because i want it all to come from the same source".

Anyone have experience with ordering from multiple sources?

Deleted
    I'd say probably limit it to two different stores if possible. Should still get a decent price and less hassle tracking all the incoming packages.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always get whats cheapest. Ill see if I can get something from Newegg if its less than like a few bucks difference, but otherwise price wins.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even if the prices are a little off, I just get everything from the same source for convenience and reputation. Until recently, NCIX was where I would front-load all my online purchases because it had a price match feature until they removed my delivery address from their 'typical shipping route' and throws those savings out the window more times than not.

So, since then, Newegg is my go to location since it came to Canada. The only thing I watch out for is the shipping location of each item which can throw my savings out the window if they are being sent from different locations which, I think, generates two separate invoices.

TL;DR - I get them from one source even if the end price is higher than across several sites because convenience.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Remember, the more places you purchase from, most likely the higher your shipment costs will become.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Remember, the more places you purchase from, most likely the higher your shipment costs will become.
    Usually not. 8 out of 10 items are free shipping anyway. And often times pcpartpicker will choose things with cheaper/free shipping. It will give priority to a $60 item with free shipping, over a $50 item with $12 shipping.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to order from multiple sources PROVIDED two things:

1. Splitting up the parts didn't increase shipping costs to a point where it no longer looked attractive to do so.

2. My 'other' source(s) weren't entirely unknowns. The actual quality, and not the quantity, is the variable I would be looking at in the OPs shoes.
    Last edited by Famine; 2014-04-22 at 07:20 PM.

I don't have to usually. I got a brick and mortar store with fuckin' wicked prices, good staff and good stock.

/smug
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I would never order from eBay when it comes to computer parts. The truth is that subbing what they put in the build is perfectly allowable assuming you keep the same specs and go with a reputable company. Amazon rarely has the best price (and often when they do the actual seller is Tiger Direct). I have had great luck with Tiger Direct and they have gone above and beyond to keep me happy. I have known people that have had great luck with New Egg.

The real question is why you would bother to build anymore when you can get a lap top that can play almost any game on highest setting for about the same price with a very small margin of difference in actual performance and it will be portable. I think the new wave is to go laptop.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Luckily, I live ~30 minutes from a Micro-Center. They price match the lowest websites you can find. So I can shop everything there, get it price-matched and I don't have to wait for delivery. Most places price-match nowadays as long as you ask. Do you have any electronic places like that around? Even Best Buy price matches amazon/newegg.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    The real question is why you would bother to build anymore when you can get a lap top that can play almost any game on highest setting for about the same price with a very small margin of difference in actual performance and it will be portable. I think the new wave is to go laptop.
    Easier to fix, easier to upgrade. When im out, im out, and im not bringing my games + I like sitting back in a comfortable chair, feet high below the desk.

Deleted
    Why would I want to play with tiny screen and bad keyboard? Real high end performance on laptop costs a fortune. I guess it depends if you travel a lot, but when I'm going somewhere I can manage just fine with smartphone.

10+ Year Old Account
    The real question is why you would bother to build anymore when you can get a lap top that can play almost any game on highest setting for about the same price with a very small margin of difference in actual performance and it will be portable.
    Find me an $800 laptop that can get to 4.2ghz Intel CPU, and support a good decent video card and SSD.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Places like Newegg also have their Preferred Account, which allows you to purchase interest free for 6-12 months depending on how much you spend. You can spread payments over that time period. This allows you to expand your budget. I've used this several times, never had a problem. Just be sure to pay it off before your interest free period ends, either in regular payments, or one lump sum near the end.