10+ Year Old Account

Best LUA Interpreters & editors

So I have been browsing the various LUA code editors such as Notepad++ (which I currently use) & LuaEdit and was wondering what the community uses and or recommends for editors and code testing sites like codepad...
    Last edited by Tactica; 2014-04-22 at 08:01 PM. Reason: edited url link

Deleted
    wow addon "wowlua" -allows ingame writing and testing of small stuff.

Deleted
    I typically use notepad++. If for some reason you want to syntax test before loading it up in WoW, you can just get any regular Lua interpreter and call luac -l -p YourFile.lua. If it goes through (and prints the resulting instruction set), there weren't any errors in your Lua syntax.

PS: I strongly recommend running your files through mikk's FindGlobals when finalizing for a beta/release tag. Global leaks can cause issues ranging from simple performance loss (frequent GETGLOBALs of API functions) to hard-to-trace fringe case errors (you use a generically named global - if another addon uses the same global, you will run into conflicts).

This:

http://www.sublimetext.com/

Faster then pretty much any other text editor.
    Awesome hotkey functions.
    Really high DPI.
    Fuckloads of plugins.
    Nicely colored themes.
    Cross-platform.
    Premium feel.
    Last edited by Resike; 2014-04-24 at 10:43 AM.

Haha, this is one of the classic software development holy wars. The short answer is "whatever you like is fine", but personally: I use Emacs to edit lua, which does a great job, and is nicely customizable. Like vim, a bit on the old-school side though, so you probably want to checkout, eg, sublime text first.

I use luajit for syntax checking, etc, not because it is especially good or anything, but because I use it elsewhere, so it is the convenient interpreter to have around. Any lua would be fine, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    Haha, this is one of the classic software development holy wars. The short answer is "whatever you like is fine", but personally: I use Emacs to edit lua, which does a great job, and is nicely customizable. Like vim, a bit on the old-school side though, so you probably want to checkout, eg, sublime text first.

I use luajit for syntax checking, etc, not because it is especially good or anything, but because I use it elsewhere, so it is the convenient interpreter to have around. Any lua would be fine, though.
    Well it's not war at all, but sometimes specially devs can suggest an editor which might be perfect for you. I used Notepad++ for years, then tried Sublime once, at first there was some functions i missed from Notepad++, but now it's all gone. And since GitHub is filled with custom Sublime plugins now it's pretty much impossible to not to find the one you're looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resike View Post
    That is smexy. Never heard of it before thus I shall try this out! Plugins are always nice

Quote Originally Posted by Resike View Post
    Well it's not war at all, but sometimes specially devs can suggest an editor which might be perfect for you.
    Over in free software land, it is war, and people have been fired for the wrong choice.

Here, sanity is more common.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    Oh no, please don't kick me from the free software development!!!

I'm not programming LUA stuff, but I'm using Sublime Text 3 for PHP, JS, HTML/CSS editing.
    I haven't found anything that comes even close to it yet i guess it is somewhat of a personal preference as well.
    Sethraz - Havoc Demon Hunter - Draenor EU - Achievement Points: 22220+ - Mounts: 472+