10+ Year Old Account

Three killed in hospital attack in Kabul

So this probably didn't get much notice since it is in Afghanistan and nobody really pays attention to that anymore, but a policeman working as a security guard at a pediatrician/maternal hospital shot and killed three people, then shot himself (He survived)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A3N0EM20140424

Its made more sad by the fact that the doctor that was killed has been volunteering in Afghanistan, training doctors and seeing patients for almost ten years.

"Among the dead was Dr. Jerry Umanos, a Chicago pediatrician who volunteered for nearly a decade in Afghanistan training medical residents and seeing patients, according to the Chicago health center where he worked for more than a quarter century."

To think that guy gave a healthy portion of his life to helping the Afghan people, only to be killed there, is quite sad. The hospital is funded by a Christian organization, but as far as I can tell from this article and others, it was not blatantly religious in any way, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the attack or not.

"The Cure organization began operating the hospital in 2005, at the invitation of the Afghan government, and 27 doctors and 64 nurses work there, according to Cure's website."

The hospital people were even invited in by the government to help out.
    You're a towel.

Bad things happen. Not the slightest I could do about it.

So why care?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thats a pretty terrible attitude to have

Perhaps a talk about what could possibly be done to stop these attacks by "friendly" forces in Afghanistan? It seems like the vast majority of events happening there now are "Trusted" people, bodyguards and the like. Or maybe we should just stop giving them any aid, pull out all doctors/nurses/anybody that helps, and say "Fuck em all!"?
    You're a towel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post

Its made more sad by the fact that the doctor that was killed has been volunteering in Afghanistan, training doctors and seeing patients for almost ten years.

"Among the dead was Dr. Jerry Umanos, a Chicago pediatrician who volunteered for nearly a decade in Afghanistan training medical residents and seeing patients, according to the Chicago health center where he worked for more than a quarter century."
    So it's more sad that one of them was American?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    So it's more sad that one of them was American?
    Actually, all three killed were Americans. What is sad is that he was donating his time, almost ten years, to teach other doctors in a country that was not his own, only to be killed for his efforts. He was no combatant, he had no hatred for the Afghan people; he was there only to help.
    You're a towel.

Ignore the callous people above OP I'm sure they're more interested in what's for dinner than giving a damn about a fellow American dying while giving his time to help people. I'm going to say a little prayer for him and the others.

Deleted
    There are bombings and killings every day in Afgan. I think it was 21 people died in the elections alone. (considered not that bad). But hey, mission accomplished amirite?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    There are bombings and killings every day in Afgan. I think it was 21 people died in the elections alone. (considered not that bad). But hey, mission accomplished amirite?
    Freedom and democracy isn't free

Not trying to defend the whole war/liberation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Actually, all three killed were Americans. What is sad is that he was donating his time, almost ten years, to teach other doctors in a country that was not his own, only to be killed for his efforts. He was no combatant, he had no hatred for the Afghan people; he was there only to help.
    Yes, but he chose to be in a conflicted area. He knew the risks. He knew exactly where he got into. It was his free will.

In other areas of the world children starve. Every single second. They were not given a choice.

Isn't that infinitely more tragic? But you won't find a press announcement about three people starving in Somalia. Perhaps a statistic of how many thousands of people have died last month.

Are their lives worth less? I don't think so. So let's be honest: Their life simply means nothing to me.

And yes, it is true, in all sincerity I care more about what's for dinner than caring for people dying I do not know.
    I don't think anybody could live with such a burden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heard about this on TV. Makes me feel why the fuck we're over there.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I don't think you uphold doctors to the standards of soldiers...whatever war it is.

I feel so terrible for that doctor's family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Yes, but he chose to be in a conflicted area. He knew the risks. He knew exactly where he got into. It was his free will.

In other areas of the world children starve. Every single second. They were not given a choice.

Isn't that infinitely more tragic? But you won't find a press announcement about three people starving in Somalia. Perhaps a statistic of how many thousands of people have died last month.

Are their lives worth less? I don't think so. So let's be honest: Their life simply means nothing to me.

And yes, it is true, in all sincerity I care more about what's for dinner than caring for people dying I do not know.
    I don't think anybody could live with such a burden.
    Reading this was like a breath of fresh air in this putrid wasteland called the Internet.
    If only we could have more of this exquisite thing called honesty.