Tenacity pet question

So I know that you can change a pets 'spec' on the fly now, but is it still better to tame one of the traditional tank pets? I apologize if this has been asked before, but I have no idea how to adequately use the search feature.

Turtles are still the best tanks because of the special ability shell shield. Other than that they are all pretty much exactly the same.

So, use what you like, if you're pushing some heavy damage soloing, get a turtle.

Thank you, that's nice to know.

The only difference in pets now is their family/species ability. There isn't any benefit to taming an innately Tenacity pet like there used to be, unless they have a particularly good family skill for tanking- like Turtles, above, and Beetles, who have the exact same ability. A full list of pet abilities by family is located here at Petopia, but a lot of them around going to be changing when Warlords of Draenor comes out this Fall.

Usually if you're just leveling, a Ferocity pet is going to hold threat off of you just fine with Growl, and do more single target damage than a Tenacity pet- but Tenacity is still the most survivable for pet tanking more difficult enemies, and holding threat on more than one target at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally you want Turtle/Beetle (50% CD reduction) or Spirit Beast (Large heal).
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Since the nerf to pet cooldowns a while back, Shell Shield only gets you 12 seconds of damage reduction per minute even in BM spec. If you're dealing with steady physical damage rather than intermittent heavy hits or spells, I prefer a bear/carrion bird over the turtle/beetle.

Just use a spirit beast in tenacity spec. glyph mending. keybind Mend pet. and u can pretty much solo everything there which can be soloed.

I sometimes go around with a tenacity sporebat just because I can, but the merits of turtle/beetle and spirit beast are real. I do also have a fondness for direhorns, because the spell reflection does very funny things to some enemies like Timeless Isle adders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cower is also a significant damage reduction, at least until 6.0. 40% reduced damage every 45 seconds. And all pets have cower.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I like Plainstriders as tank pets (AoE sunder armor) for juicy multishot and beast cleaves. :P