Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Is this a covert op mission to let everyone know that you are a bigot?

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Just out of interest.. how did you come to the conclusion that English is the best language to keep teaching?
    I think it's because English is the most widely taught language in the world. Not trying to act biased, it just is statistically.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    I think it's because English is the most widely taught language in the world. Not trying to act biased, it just is statistically.
    Not spoken though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    He speaks it. Kind of.
    See! Even I am willing to learn it.

Aren't we less than 10 years away from developing contact lenses with computers that provide a heads up display that will give you real time subtitled translations of what other people are saying ? The G20 should just pitch in to give them to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Probably just because it has the greatest world penetration already.
    he he he you said penetration.

you said penetration.

Wars will be fought over why phenomena starts with a P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a perfectly grammatically correct English sentence:

"James, while John had had "had," had had "had had;" "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher."
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    As someone who comes from Belgium I support this...fuck French.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we should adopt French as the lingua franca, if only because they have a specific verb for clearing the table after a meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Imagine how great it will be when we all understand the same exact language.

Stop teaching any other languages. Society will be better off without French,German,Japanese,Spanish,Yiddish etc etc
    Impossible, since there is a lot of stuff in other languages that do not have a direct translation.
    Virtually all artistic literature would be lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Here's a perfectly grammatically correct English sentence:

"James, while John had had "had," had had "had had;" "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher."
    Fucking ridiculous.

Also, fun fact, according to Tolkien the plural of 'dwarf' is 'dwarrow' or 'dwerrow'.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most descriptive and it eliminates most mistakes of intent.
    Going to need a citation with actual research for that.

If we stop teaching all languages, we effectively loose the original version of millions, even billions of works, big or small?
    If Latin stopped kicking its limbs feebly in legal and medical jargon, and we stopped teaching it since it's been so nearly dead for ages, (dead dead, not language dead), we could no longer enjoy the true versions of the foundation-works of western civilisation, and some of the "translated" ones are shite.
    To keep using Latin as an example, as it's the closest I have to a second language, it helps you see root words in and get better knowledge of meanings in English, and even can show you an English word's meaning before you ever see it's context and it's a lovely language.

We definitely shouldn't get rid of a dead language, so there's no way anyone should want to rid all languages, even if we could get perfect translations, which can't exist.
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Damn what a boring world...
    How about a No.

Deleted
    I support this. Same currency aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knough View Post
    If we stop teaching all languages, we effectively loose the original version of millions, even billions of works, big or small?
    If Latin stopped kicking its limbs feebly in legal and medical jargon, and we stopped teaching it since it's been so nearly dead for ages, (dead dead, not language dead), we could no longer enjoy the true versions of the foundation-works of western civilisation, and some of the "translated" ones are shite.
    To keep using Latin as an example, as it's the closest I have to a second language, it helps you see root words in and get better knowledge of meanings in English, and even can show you an English word's meaning before you ever see it's context and it's a lovely language.

We definitely shouldn't get rid of a dead language, so there's no way anyone should want to rid all languages, even if we could get perfect translations, which can't exist.
    English is more closely related to French than to Latin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Care to pick a slightly more rationally structured language (i.e. easier to learn) than English?
    Easier to learn than English?
    ... ?!

Imagine how great it will be when we all understand the same exact language.

Stop teaching any other languages. Society will be better off without French,German,Japanese,Spanish,Yiddish etc etc
    No, just no.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I think we should adopt French as the lingua franca, if only because they have a specific verb for clearing the table after a meal.
    I kind of like Spanish's "amanecer," a verb about waking up and starting your daily routine. "Como amaneciste?" is a pleasant greeting, whereas in English, "How was your morning?" doesn't work as well, because it's something you'd ask while it's still morning.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!