Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

You have a 50 pound bag that you can fill with anything from the present.

This bag will have to keep you alive in Medieval Europe. I think I will take a few manuals of how to make gunpowder and guns. I'm stumped at this point.

I'm fairly sure I will not last long.

Deleted
    An M9 and as many bullets as I can carry. Shoot the current king, wave the gun around, usurp throne, become new king, get poisoned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Fill bag with antibiotics.
    Find king.
    Become divine healer of the court.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Fill bag with antibiotics.
    Find king.
    Become divine healer of the court.
    This just might work, it's like you've already thought this all through just in case.

Time Traveling device would be my choice.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    This just might work, it's like you've already thought this all through just in case.
    I already have my 25 kgs of drugs ready just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Does the time machine that sent me there weigh less than 50lbs?
    It's a one way trip unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post

Time Traveling device would be my choice.
    I'm with the spinning pony too, that sounds like a plan.

To be honest, a tablet (computer) with a solar charger and a couple of spare batteries with all the info needed on how to generate electricity (and all the sub-set knowledge needed to get that far along with some handy uses + knowledge for them) wouldn't weigh much and would make an interesting side line after you've got in well with the king

I could probably make a REALLY weak dynamo in medieval times without additional knowledge tbh (they have copper and iron, if you can cast enough of a gearing mechanism and have enough horses drive it you could make power. Take copper, build mould to make long thin strips of it. Take iron and spend a while having a horse team pull a couple of lumps past each other repeatedly in one direction until you build a magnet and you have a start)
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2014-04-28 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Spider Man View Post
    It's a one way trip unfortunately.
    Can we take the time machine schematic?

Deleted
    An AKM with about 20 magazines, the rest of the space would be books on metallurgy, biology, chemistry, physics, medicine and mathematics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I already have my 25 kgs of drugs ready just in case.
    Remember kids drugs not pugs.

It's like you're going to university or something to become a doctor.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    An AKM with about 20 magazines, the rest of the space would be books on metallurgy, biology, chemistry, physics, medicine and mathematics.
    (USE THE CHEAT SHEET)

Or alternatively take a Kindle and a solar powered recharger.

....Unless Amazon's DRM spans the entirety of spacetime. Which it might.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Materials to make a new bag cause a 50lb bag is awfully heavy! :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    (USE THE CHEAT SHEET)

Or alternatively take a Kindle and a solar powered recharger.

....Unless Amazon's DRM spans the entirety of spacetime. Which it might.
    Batteries, kindles and chargers break too easily, you want something that can take a beating even if it is less sophisticated. This is the reason I took the AKM over any other weapon and the reason paper books are my preferred choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unicorn blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pistol with 20 or so magazines, photovoltaic panel and battery, extra photovoltaic panel just in case, ipad with charger that can interact with the battery filled with as much knowledge/data/music I can fit in it, antibiotics, toothbrush, fill the rest up with gold.

Gold will get me established with an estate that I can use to start producing inventions which will help bankroll additional inventions. iPad will give me the knowledge I need, as well as translation services. I'd probably copy as much as possible to paper after I got there just in case the iPad or the photovoltaic panels broke.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'd take a few books on the subjects mentioned in that cheatsheet... or maybe a e-reader and a solar charger with several thousand books (Simple Nook or similar b/w Kindle, less likely to go FUBAR than more complicated unit) Given the weight limit, you might even take several duplicates for backups.

The rest of the weight limit can be gems/gold/antibiotics, and maybe a few guns and some ammo, and a bullet mold (be sure to have the recipe for the gunpowder needed and how to make bullets).

This list could change a lot depending on how much time you have to prepare
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2014-04-28 at 07:47 PM.

the rest of the space would be books on metallurgy, biology, chemistry, physics, medicine and mathematics.
    See this is the problem with me. I don't know shit about any of those topics and doubt I can train myself in any reasonable way to be proficient in them.

David Weber has a series out that I feel deals with this nicely. Someone from an advanced space age society finds herself in what is basically late medieval level society. She has a computer with a whole bunch of texts on various subjects but she really knows dick a bout most of them. So what she does is little nuggets from the computer drop into the hands of certain free thinkers in order to kind of steer THEM in a general direction.

You want to make a modern artiliery piece (yes its a mostly military sci-fi book) then here is a method for producing reliable and much improved gun powder. And here is an idea for spinning projectiles. Now you guys figure out the minutia of making it work.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Batteries, kindles and chargers break too easily, you want something that can take a beating even if it is less sophisticated. This is the reason I took the AKM over any other weapon and the reason paper books are my preferred choice.
    The kindle/ipad only has to last until you can copy the data in it to paper. It's a weight saving feature, not something permanent. Useful for translation too.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Some nice warm blankets for trading. ; )