Poll: Should I take the test?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    IQ test aren't infallible.
    The sky is blue.

Go for it OP, there is nothing wrong with wanting to do that. You can also find MENSA puzzle books at bookstores like Barnes and Noble which may help you out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    The sky is blue.
    Exactly what is the purpose of your post? Most people treat IQ test as the end all be all, but they often ignore so many things...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly what is the purpose of your post? Most people treat IQ test as the end all be all, but they often ignore so many things...
    The point of my post is that saying "IQ tests aren't infallible" is similar to saying "the sky is blue".

The "most people" you're referring to are silly, if what you claim is true.

That doesn't change the situation. MENSA is an organization for people who score high on MENSA tests, which are essentially IQ tests, which can be an indicator of intelligence.

If you don't like MENSA or their tests, you are free to start your own group that uses a different criteria.

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes here in this thread is all I'm saying (not necessarily you).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I went to an actual MENSA gathering in the mid 80's.... most boring gathering ever. My impression of the group was not 'wow these are some smart people', in fact, quite the opposite.

The point of my post is that saying "IQ tests aren't infallible" is similar to saying "the sky is blue".

That doesn't change the situation. MENSA is an organization for people who score high on MENSA tests, which are essentially IQ tests, which can be an indicator of intelligence.

If you don't like MENSA or their tests, you are free to start your own group that uses a different criteria.

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes here in this thread is all I'm saying (not necessarily you).
    More people know the sky is blue than people who know that IQ tests aren't a perfect measure of intelligence... there are many more ignorant people who view the IQ test as the thing that determines your intelligence, than there are people who look at a daytime sky and see blue.

I didn't say I didn't like MENSA, my point is simple MENSA isn't the end all be all of intelligence because typically IQ test aren't, and there are many other ways people are intelligent. I then went on to say IQ test do not measure a number of other things, other things which goes towards a person being considered "smart". It's very easy to become overly arrogant when you find out you have a high IQ, which is why people should be reminded of the test, what it measures, and how that measurement doesn't really mean much at the end of it all.

I think the issue people take is the implication of being denied access. Because it is 'essentially an I.Q test' (I don't know how it's conducted to be honest) and people associate I.Q with being smart; it is implied you are unintelligent by not being a member. I don't necessarily agree, I think it being called an 'intelligence quotient' is the crux of the issue. As it really isn't a good enough indicator of an individual's intelligence barring upper and lower limits.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2014-04-29 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    I think the issue people take is the implication of being denied access. Because it is 'essentially an I.Q test' (I don't know how it's conducted to be honest) and people associate I.Q with being smart; it is implied you are unintelligent by not being a member. I don't necessarily agree, I think it being called a 'intelligence quotient' is the crux of the issue.
    Especially since IQ test can't accurately measure intelligence...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    I think the issue people take is the implication of being denied access. Because it is 'essentially an I.Q test' (I don't know how it's conducted to be honest) and people associate I.Q with being smart; it is implied you are unintelligent by not being a member. I don't necessarily agree, I think it being called a 'intelligence quotient' is the crux of the issue.
    Now you're talking.

Tell somebody they aren't good enough to be in something and immediately they begin to talk about how they didn't want to be in it anyway, because it's stupid, biased, below them, the test is bad, the group is bad, etc.

Now you're talking.

Tell somebody they aren't good enough to be in something and immediately they begin to talk about how they didn't want to be in it anyway, because it's stupid, biased, below them, the test is bad, the group is bad, etc.
    Well my arguments aren't biased, I'm being quite logical here.

Now you're talking.

People don't like to be denied things they think they deserve. I think modern WoW is a monument to this fact. Defensive ball curl is the only way to handle it.

Something like intelligence as well compounds the issue. There is a perception you're only as smart as your genetics allow you to be. So it cuts deep into someone's self-worth when they're told they aren't smart (and can't change it). Hence, why I believe I.Q is a bad name for it. It's inaccurate and misleading.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well my arguments aren't biased, I'm being quite logical here.
    Why did you pick me to engage with? I didn't say anything about your arguments, in fact I even threw in a (not necessarily you) to differentiate.

My original observation was that there are a lot of people in this thread that sound like they have sour grapes because they are being or would be excluded from MENSA. That's all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sky is blue.
    No it's not. It may at times appear blue, but a blanket statement such as yours is false. -10 points on the IQ test for you!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Asia Carrera played an important part in my youth. She is a member of MENSA.
    Didn't she also become a Mormon?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Didn't she also become a Mormon?
    Sure, but only for the magic underwear.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Sure, but only for the magic underwear.
    You can't really argue with motivation like that.

I took my Mensa test and joined almost a decade ago. As for the format, we first took a 50 question Wonderlic in 12 minutes and then took a 6 part exam designed by Mensa in like an hour. Finished the Wonderlic in time and breezed through the Mensa-made exam with lots of spare time. Unfortunately, if you finish a part early with others taking the exam with you, you will have to wait for them to complete that section (except for the last section). I've been a member since passing way back then. The meetings are alright, at least less dry than some of the physicist meetings/conferences I've been to. Just try your best and if you don't get in hopefully you at least had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Immorality View Post
    I took my Mensa test and joined almost a decade ago. As for the format, we first took a 50 question Wonderlic in 12 minutes and then took a 6 part exam designed by Mensa in like an hour. Finished the Wonderlic in time and breezed through the Mensa-made exam with lots of spare time. Unfortunately, if you finish a part early with others taking the exam with you, you will have to wait for them to complete that section (except for the last section). I've been a member since passing way back then. The meetings are alright, at least less dry than some of the physicist meetings/conferences I've been to. Just try your best and if you don't get in hopefully you at least had fun.
    Wait you FINISHED a Wonderlic test? Shit, and that's why I am not a member of mensa.

I've taken a couple of those during job interviews and don't think I've every finished more than half of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Wait you FINISHED a Wonderlic test? Shit, and that's why I am not a member of mensa.

I've taken a couple of those during job interviews and don't think I've every finished more than half of it.
    yea... I get bored about 30% of the way through any IQ test and just say "screw it".

-Kujako-