Deleted

Verifying furniture age

Got into this antiques shop in the middle of the forest and found myself a gem: 2 chairs from the early 18th century! Or at least, that's what the storekeeper told me. They went for 600 euro (in pair) and I really feel like putting my money on them. However, how do I check the chair's authencity?

Deleted
    Sounds too cheap for a matching pair of 200+ year old chairs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Sounds too cheap for a matching pair of 200+ year old chairs.
    They were freshened up in the very early 20th century, so that's why they are worth less.

Apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    I'm sure the shopkeeper would get kinda bitter if I started poking around with coal and stuff.

Deleted
    Old stuff? I guess your pc is from 1988? Why buy old crap when you can get better newer cheaper stuff?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollskalden View Post
    They were freshened up in the very early 20th century, so that's why they are worth less.

Apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure the shopkeeper would get kinda bitter if I started poking around with coal and stuff.
    If you like the chairs then buy them, if you are buying them because you think they are worth more and can turn a profit, don't bother. Leave that stuff to the experts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    Old stuff? I guess your pc is from 1988? Why buy old crap when you can get better newer cheaper stuff?
    If you have to ask you wouldn't understand.

- - - Updated - - -

If you like the chairs then buy them, if you are buying them because you think they are worth more and can turn a profit, don't bother. Leave that stuff to the experts.
    Think I should buy them even though I cannot verify their age?

Deleted
    Well, if he's got no documentation and it's only his word I wouldn't trust them to be from where he claims they are. He should expect people to want verification, imo.

Deleted
    If you have to ask you wouldn't understand.

- - - Updated - - -

Think I should buy them even though I cannot verify their age?
    Are you buying them because they are old or because you like the look of them?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    You need to look up joinery techniques and staple design rules that were used during the time period.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    You need to look up joinery techniques and staple design rules that were used during the time period.
    Easily faked, there are people that earn their living making fake antiques.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could buy new ones that look exactly the same for about a tenth of the price, even if you had a furniture shop custom make them. Id go with new ones, they would be sturdier and cheaper and look the same

Deleted
    Are you buying them because they are old or because you like the look of them?
    Both reasons. Mostly because they're old though.

Deleted
    Both reasons. Mostly because they're old though.
    Don't buy them then, get something cheaper and more modern that you like the look of even more. Fake antiques are very common and the law is funny about what is classed as an antique, the shop says they were refurbished in the 20th century, well that means that the only thing that could be original would be the covering or perhaps a screw.

- - - Updated - - -

Watch this this video that explains it, you can swap as many component parts as you like as long as you do not replace all of them at the same time.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Easily faked, there are people that earn their living making fake antiques.
    True, but unless people are going for high end fakes, they don't usually bother. What get passed off as fakes these days for the general masses is cheaply made and only resembles its target on the surface. True matching of joinery would instantly bring the price of the furniture way up as it would actually be hand made. In that case, you need to use other methods.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    True, but unless people are going for high end fakes, they don't usually bother. What get passed off as fakes these days for the general masses is cheaply made and only resembles its target on the surface. True matching of joinery would instantly bring the price of the furniture way up as it would actually be hand made. In that case, you need to use other methods.
    Yeah, I mean this is an old man who says he gets a lot of these furniture from locals, and he lives in the middle of nowhere, but I still just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.