Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    You could wear sunglasses while you play, if you want that scary night effect.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I played wow pre cata and pre wrath, It was never as dark as they show in the pictures above us. Not to mention that the in game rain wasn't nearly as bad/dark as it currently is. The current in game rain nearly makes the game unplayable anywhere it is happening.

Plus it used to be that you could turn off the day / night cycle and weather effects. I'd like that setting back please.
    That's because the first change was sometime in BC, around when the snow changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Finding 8+ year old pics or videos is not easy lol

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Ah, this is one of those fabricated non-issues that people start harping on about because they've read it somewhere.
    I think we should try to come up with more of these, for the lol value.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I think we should try to come up with more of these, for the lol value.
    Dark nights were removed because wow's casual player base was afraid of the dark.

Found some old pics..

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like they changed the windows and everything lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Reason is that some people play during the night time (server wise) and don't get to play during the day. Making the game just as bright as day time was made so that players could actually play rather than squinting all the time.
    Change the day/night cycles to be 4-hour instead of 24-hour and we've solved the problem! Bring back the darker night.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Love this one!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Change the day/night cycles to be 4-hour instead of 24-hour and we've solved the problem! Bring back the darker night.
    Burn out the day
    Burn out the night

#BÖC

Cause they tough its better game design...Yea, we will never understand modern Blizzard anymore.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Someone forgot the candle up there!

Nice hats!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yarmock View Post
    http://bit.ly/1rGcurF

And yes there are lots of threads on MMO as well as Google..
    If they bumped an old post, people would just be here bitching about how they were necroing a thread.

As much as the hardcore rpg'er in me wants night time to require spells that create light or walking around with a torch or lantern.. just making it actually DARK and NIGHT TIME would suffice.. hopefully this so called experiment with darker knights in WoD catches on..

Quote Originally Posted by DreadNeos View Post
    Hey, you could always just, not play?
    Well to be fair he could just not play at night.

I find it stupid, how machinima had a tool which let you make night dark, but blizz can't make it a slider in options :I

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
    I find it stupid, how machinima had a tool which let you make night dark, but blizz can't make it a slider in options :I
    That's an excellent idea. Give us a range to choose from realistically pitch black nights, all the way to bright, practically daytime nights. I nominate this man for president.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Quote Originally Posted by Danuru View Post
    That's an excellent idea. Give us a range to choose from realistically pitch black nights, all the way to bright, practically daytime nights. I nominate this man for president.
    And then watch as everyone uses the brightest setting anyway because otherwise you're putting yourself at a disadvantage

I think this talk of people sitting around campfires and having the glow reflected off them and other such stories of Vanilla WoW days are a bit of a case of rose coloured glasses. There was no real dynamic lighting in vanilla WoW, it was all lightmaps or baked into textures, and there certainly wasn't fancy things like SSAO (self shadowing) like we have now. What everyone thinks of as night, is really just a combination of the skybox, the distance fog colour, and the colour of the directional light that represents the sun/moon. Stick a dark night sky in the skybox, make the fog a darker shade of grey and make the directional light a dark grey-blue instead of yellow-orange and you've got nighttime (at least in Vanilla WoW era).

As WoW's lighting and shadowing system changed though, and started involving shaders and multiple lighting passes and dynamic lights and other such things, a lot more factors came into play and making realistic or even darker nights became a fair bit harder. Think for example how much work goes into the shader packs you can get for Skyrim that tweak the lighting and the nights. Its a not insignificant task (even outside of the gameplay implications).

15+ Year Old Account
    I recall them saying Orgrimmar and some panda zones will be darker at nights after SOO patch. But are they? Nope.

They could just copy ESO. That game has dark nights, and infact I mainly play that game when it's dark because a dark night makes a game so magical.
    Last edited by Kuja; 2014-05-02 at 11:11 AM.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    I recall them saying Orgrimmar and some panda zones will be darker at nights after SOO patch. But are they? Nope.

They could just copy ESO. That game has dark nights, and infact I mainly play that game when it's dark because a dark night makes a game so magical.
    Yes night in ESO, with the weather effects, is great!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Why did they do this?

They don't need to make it frigging pitch black and require lanterns or anything.. but really.. it's pretty lame. Something that's bothered me for the past 9 1/2 years with this game.
    I agree %100 and have mentioned this before on the Blizzard forums. I mentioned how much I dislike the new Orgrimmar at night, as it used to look awesome all dark with fires burning but now it's orange fog 24/7.