My only real gripe so far

Finding a good guild! So i play Empire side on the harbinger and have been looking for a good guild to raid with. So far no luck with it. Most guilds now want you to have hard mode exp and tons of gear. I can understand with NM modes out now but I can't seem to find a good guild that would allow me to get the gear to be able to contribute. By gear I mean the tier mostly for the set bonuses. So now i had to reroll Republic (/sigh) and hope to have more luck later on. Kinda sucks because I loved my Sorcerer. Kinda hard to get used to the Sages voice and the goodie two shoes quests lol.

Maybe I should try to buy a gear run with my Sorc to get the gear that i need. Anyone have any advice? Not sure if there is something I maybe missing to improve my situation.

Indeed. The raiding communities in SW:TOR are as insular as those in classic WoW. Pretty cutthroat about newcomers, unless you got in on the ground floor.

I know your pain.

I had that problem in WOW, GW2, FF14, DCUO, LoTRO, and SWTOR.

Once guilds are established it's hard to get in depending on where they are in the content and I bet there is only a small window of opportunity for invites when leveling is increased or expansions are released.

Buying the gear runs is probably your best bet. I know POT5 empire sold a lot of stuff for credits on a raiding schedule.

<Provectus> Garage Sale
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=722149

Nightmare Titles
    Dragonslayer (from Scum and Villainy): 12,000,000 CR
    From Beyond (from Terror from Beyond): 8,000,000 CR
    Warstalker (from Explosive Conflicts): 5,000,000 CR

Other Titles
    The Eternal Warrior (from Hateful Entity): 12,000,000 CR
    Dread Slayer (from Dreadful Entity): 5,000,000 CR

Mounts
    Titan 6 Containment Vehicle (from Scum and Villainy): 8,000,000 CR
    Avalanche Heavy Tank (from Explosive Conflict): 4,000,000 CR
    Helix Hyperpod (from Terror from Beyond): 8,000,000 CR per week

Due to the rarity of the drop for Helix Hyperpod, we are willing to try and farm this for you weekly till you get the mount itself, but please keep in mind that you are required to pay 8,000,000 CR per week till the mount drops.

Vanity Items
    Crest of the Dread Masters (Mask from Hateful Entity, includes the title): 20,000,000 CR
    Dreadful Orb (from the Dreadful Entity): 8,000,000 CR

Gear
    Dread Forged Set (minus Implant and Ear): 10,000,000 CR
    Dread Forged Implant: 1,000,000 CR
    Dread Forged Ear Piece: 1,000,000 CR

Then again, it devolves the game into P2W at that point which defeats the whole purpose of earning the gear with friends in the first place, since you'll have bought the gear and still not have a guild of friends to raid with. Hopefully the price list is useful with negotiations or your decision.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelda82 View Post
    ...Avalanche Heavy Tank (from Explosive Conflict): 4,000,000 CR...
    Seriously? Now theres a business idea...

Selling runs seems to be extremely dependant on the server you're on. Virtually never happens on the two servers (T3-M4/The Progenitor) I played - with the exception of tanks trying to make a quick buck by offering runs in easy content.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelda82 View Post
    Buying the gear runs is probably your best bet. I know POT5 empire sold a lot of stuff for credits on a raiding schedule.

<Provectus> Garage Sale
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=722149

Nightmare Titles
    Dragonslayer (from Scum and Villainy): 12,000,000 CR
    From Beyond (from Terror from Beyond): 8,000,000 CR
    Warstalker (from Explosive Conflicts): 5,000,000 CR

Other Titles
    The Eternal Warrior (from Hateful Entity): 12,000,000 CR
    Dread Slayer (from Dreadful Entity): 5,000,000 CR

Mounts
    Titan 6 Containment Vehicle (from Scum and Villainy): 8,000,000 CR
    Avalanche Heavy Tank (from Explosive Conflict): 4,000,000 CR
    Helix Hyperpod (from Terror from Beyond): 8,000,000 CR per week

Due to the rarity of the drop for Helix Hyperpod, we are willing to try and farm this for you weekly till you get the mount itself, but please keep in mind that you are required to pay 8,000,000 CR per week till the mount drops.

Vanity Items
    Crest of the Dread Masters (Mask from Hateful Entity, includes the title): 20,000,000 CR
    Dreadful Orb (from the Dreadful Entity): 8,000,000 CR

Gear
    Dread Forged Set (minus Implant and Ear): 10,000,000 CR
    Dread Forged Implant: 1,000,000 CR
    Dread Forged Ear Piece: 1,000,000 CR

Then again, it devolves the game into P2W at that point which defeats the whole purpose of earning the gear with friends in the first place, since you'll have bought the gear and still not have a guild of friends to raid with. Hopefully the price list is useful with negotiations or your decision.
    Yeah spoke with a guild on my server and they wanted 23mil for a set of 78 gear with ear and implant. 12mil is much cheaper lol. I know its pay 2 win at this point for me. Sadly the friends i played with all either quit or moved on to different games so I pretty much two box and play alone now. Its next to impossible to join a guild on my server atm with out gear. I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the post.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try to get the gear you can get in solo mode from oricon daily and elite comms.
    When you apply to a guild, compensate a lack of gear by a very thorough theorycraft of your class. In my experience, that opens doors.
    Even with poor gear, my apply was so compelling regarding the theorycraft of my class that i pretty much put my foot in the door as the saying goes.
    Then during the actual test in raid, i just slammed it open by being listening to the strat and paying attention to the fight.
    next thing i know, i was showered with raid gear to rapidly include me in the guild progression raid.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2014-05-02 at 01:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is coming from someone who was in a top guild in SWTOR earlier on:

While gear is always a great thing, its how you sell yourself that wins. I was in charge of recruitment so there were a few things I looked at first:

1. Class and Spec
    2. Experience
    3. How you handle yourself in the application

If I had an application that looked unfinished, its a bad sign to me. If you are incapable of spending 15 minutes trying to get into a guild, then you won't spend hours trying to better yourself as a player. If your application looks very well done, then I will be impressed off the bat. If the guild is good- gear won't be an issue. It is easy to feed someone gear and get them caught up since most of the time other raiders don't need a lot of the pieces.

Unfortunately, all of my applications are private or closed so I cannot link an example of what I would write. There is also a difference between information and wall of text. Just typing a lot doesn't show anything, make sure what you type is meaningful. Just be yourself. Type grammatically correct. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. You want to find a guild that accepts you for you, so don't try to be something you're not (IE hardcore, elitist, etc).

Of course, this problem is in any game. Finding a guild is always a pain because it is a commitment in something you already have a commitment to. Just look at it positively and enjoy the process, because meeting new people is always exciting.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it were me, and raiding were that important, I think I would look for guilds with a bit more leniency using an alt, and once found, transfer my main to that server and join them. Would eliminate the need to perpetuate the gear buying cycle just to fit in with some elitists. This way, you can get geared with like minded individuals, and once you are more well established and accomplished, you can always seek another elite guild to join. Personally, I just need a group of people I like, and trust, who want to play the same way I do. Makes the game much more enjoyable for me. Just my 2 cents really.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Finding a good guild! So i play Empire side on the harbinger and have been looking for a good guild to raid with. So far no luck with it. Most guilds now want you to have hard mode exp and tons of gear. I can understand with NM modes out now but I can't seem to find a good guild that would allow me to get the gear to be able to contribute. By gear I mean the tier mostly for the set bonuses. So now i had to reroll Republic (/sigh) and hope to have more luck later on. Kinda sucks because I loved my Sorcerer. Kinda hard to get used to the Sages voice and the goodie two shoes quests lol.

Maybe I should try to buy a gear run with my Sorc to get the gear that i need. Anyone have any advice? Not sure if there is something I maybe missing to improve my situation.
    We are also on the Harbinger! See my signature. We are tight community guild and we would be happy to help you gear up and get you raiding with us!------For Free..... Also if you would like to get in contact with us in-game than you can send our recruiter or myself an in-game message and we will invite you.. only requirement is that you be over the age of 18.. That has been a Soul Reaver recruitment requirement from the start. My in-game screen name is DarkJuggalo and our recruiter's name is Applefury just tell apple that Dj told you to tell him to give you a guild invite. We are currently doing end-game opps but we have a pretty good routine of doing the weekly raids and sm opps as well to gear up new players and Alts. our current raid time is 10:30pm EST. We raid 7 days a week as well as take part in events and new content.
    Last edited by darkjuggalo2000; 2014-05-10 at 01:22 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Soul Reavers Guild is always recruiting! For more info check us out at...

Website-www.soulreavers.swtorhost.com
    YouTube-www.youtube.com/swtorsoulreavers

Finding a raid spot is harder than finding a real life job.
    This is 5 years ago when the unemployment is 10+%.

It may sound fishy, but think the percentage of people are not raiding.
    It is much higher than 10%.

Our guild doesn't have a "set" raid group format... We have a raid by signup setup. We inform our members of the gear requirement for specific raids and we ensure that we do raids of all levels throughout the week to ensure that everyone gets a chance to raid. It is true that usually the same overly ambitious few in our guild are the ones doing the HM/NM modes but with our system anyone is pretty much able to fill a spot so long as you have the gear for it. If someone is not versed in the tactics we break down the explanation as best as we can and switch things up to better suit our raid composition. My feeling is that when there is specific raid groups such as say Raid group A,B,C etc than you start to have "Clicks" form and members start to feud when say someone cant make raid time or real life issues happen. Our Goal is all-ways to ensure that we all have a good time and that noone gets left out. There is nothing worse than being in a guild where you dont know anyone and you never get to raid and continue to wait until a spot opens up. Our guild has a mutual goal of progression and we work together as a whole instead of divided. So there would never be an issue of "finding a raid spot" in my guild. We have been using this system since we formed shortly after Beta and has worked great since then.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Soul Reavers Guild is always recruiting! For more info check us out at...

Website-www.soulreavers.swtorhost.com
    YouTube-www.youtube.com/swtorsoulreavers

Try raiding on an RP server.

At least the nice community (sometimes) makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkjuggalo2000 View Post
    We are also on the Harbinger! See my signature. We are tight community guild and we would be happy to help you gear up and get you raiding with us!------For Free..... Also if you would like to get in contact with us in-game than you can send our recruiter or myself an in-game message and we will invite you.. only requirement is that you be over the age of 18.. That has been a Soul Reaver recruitment requirement from the start. My in-game screen name is DarkJuggalo and our recruiter's name is Applefury just tell apple that Dj told you to tell him to give you a guild invite. We are currently doing end-game opps but we have a pretty good routine of doing the weekly raids and sm opps as well to gear up new players and Alts. our current raid time is 10:30pm EST. We raid 7 days a week as well as take part in events and new content.
    Thanks for the offer. I joined with Immortal a few days ago. They all seem like good people. Going to give it a shot with them. Their raid times are a bit sooner than I would like but its workable lol. Gear is coming along well right now. I sold 2 bantha mounts over the weekend for 5.8mil per haha. So i was able to pick up 2 relics, implants, and a ear piece all at 180 quality. Now I can start on my set pieces from the normal modes.

Leveled up Synthweaving and Slicing on an alt last week so Now i made all og my MK-9 augment slots and Resolve 28 artifact augments for my gear. All in all it seems that things are looking up.