Deleted

Worried about PC's security

To outline the situation.

I was on WoW, as i got up and walked away from the comp i heard my map open, then close, saw my character jump and saw my comp type out the word "brightside" into chat of its own accord. Someone else obviously had control.

I'm using microsoft security essentials, and malwarebytes. I tend to run them both about once a week. I ran a scan of my comp and nothing was discovered but that just worries me more, something had obviously taken control of my comp for that short time, how can i root out and discover what it was?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Are you on someone else's network(School?)? Does anyone other than you ever have access to the computer?

If that's the case, you may have remote desktop/monitoring software installed/running.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-05-04 at 02:43 AM.

Deleted
    Try to download some more popular anti-malware from cnet.com, I'm a noob and when I have the slightest idea I'm hacked or someone else can get control on my PC, I download some good security. Something like Malwarebytes as you mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zomgzerg View Post
    You should open up the Task manager and look through all the running processes.
    That's pretty overwhelming for most people, atleast for me it is. Running processes are in the tenfolds and with no particular names I'd know what program I'm dealing with.

Run hitman pro on it, they give you a free 30 day trial and it can clean up a fair bunch of different things. I would also use something more powerful than microsoft security essentials, atleast use AVG/Avast if you want to stick to free stuff.

Spybot is another good program, I recommend downloading the older version of the program if it's on their site. It still gets the latest updates, just the new one sometimes conflicts with internet security programs and slows down the PC.

Opened any fishy e-mails, downloaded something off the internet or website?
    Try another anti-virus if you still can't detect any virus i guess you would have to do a fresh install and wipe everything off the hard drive.
    mmo-champion has become full of trolls and bad admins.

Deleted
    I ran hitman pro,along with another malware bytes and microsoft security essentials. Nothing

Not opened anything dodgy and nobody else has access to the comp. Nothings happened since though so fingers crossed i was just slightly losing my mind :P

it is possible, as previously mentioned, that you have remote desktop software installed in your computer.. which is pretty much a paid version of a trojan.

or it could be possible you have a custom made trojan... if the antivirus doesnt know what to look for, it wont find it... and unless you know what you are looking for, it will very hard to find.

or... the wow gods were trolling you.. most probable one.

Deleted
    I'd change all my passwords from other comp and do a fresh install of Windows. You're risking of losing all your accounts (email, Steam, Blizzard etc) if you keep using possibly infected machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    uninstall VNC