Poll: Your views on Death Penalty?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    We reserve the death penalty in my state for heightened circumstances. It is not given for simple murder. We also require a separate unanimous jury decision. If someone actually gets the death penalty, they have done something to deserve it. When someone acts that heinous they should be destroyed. It is funny how the bleeding hearts always forget the true victims.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always been against it and am glad I can say as much
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Voted, "In favor of it, MMO-C DID NOT change my views" Tho some of the methods should get altered, but some ppl do deserve to die for the crimes they have commited
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Have always been for it and my support has grown stronger as I've gotten older. As for some people might being innocent? Someone who got life in prison for a crime he didn't commit would say that someone who got the death penalty for a crime he didn't commit was lucky.

Has mmo-champion ever changed anyone's minds about anything?...I think it more likely strengthened a lot of opinions...

Anyway, I'm in favor of it.
    X

I've been searching for studies which show that the death penalty increases or decreases crime rates, I've seen suggestions that they decrease and suggestions that they actually increase murder rates shortly after an execution.
    Yeah, I have not seen any real good arguments on this specific reason: deturrent.

In Canada, the 1993 homicide
    rate was some 25% below the rate at the time of abolition. Other nations
    such as Great Britain have experienced increases in murder--but even
    greater increases in other violent crimes which were never subject to death
    sentences. Some years ago this passage from a United Nations study summed
    it up: "It is generally agreed that the data which now exist show no
    correlation between the existence of capital punishment and lower rates of
    capital crime."19 The conclusion still holds.

If you can prove that the death penalty is an effective deterrent, I probably would become in favor of the penalty until we have the sci-fi brainwashing technology. Until then, I will remain in favor of "whole life" sentences for the worst of the worst, the remorseless psychopaths.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-05-04 at 03:43 AM.

I personally do not care about the deterent. I care about heinous people being put down. If the family of the victim objects, then it might change things. I love how you tote the innocent convicts line... 96% are guilty, but lets not focus on that.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    I personally do not care about the deterent. I care about heinous people being put down. If the family of the victim objects, then it might change things. I love how you tote the innocent convicts line... 96% are guilty, but lets not focus on that.
    I have concerns of the 4% of innocent who have been killed. 4% dead who were innocent is more than enough to cause grave concern. I'd rather that they remained alive so they could be released when proven innocent and be properly compensated, (which does happen from time to time). Even if the statistic was <1% (which is what I originally thought), that alone should be more than enough to put away our vengeful minds and think about the innocent individuals.

The state should not be executing innocent people, even if we originally thought the are guilty.

10+ Year Old Account
    am still for it. i doubt anyone on here will ever have there minds changed by a mere forum thread. why exactly do we need a third death penalty topic?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

For the most heinous crimes, there is no allowable punishment that will cause the criminal to suffer as much as the suffering they caused. This is because we have the 8th amendment which forbids cruel and unusual punishments. To me, this means that the justice system isn't so much about punishing people for doing bad things as it is protecting society from people who do bad things. As soon as a person has been removed from society and imprisoned for life, the function of the justice system has been provided; the people are protected from that person, and nothing more need be done.

Should be only for very specific cases.

I'm against it as it's currently handled on the basis that convictions can happen without undeniable proof. If even 1 innocent person is sentenced to death, that's unacceptable.

I also disagree with the logic that the death penalty is an effective deterrent. Not for everyone. Some people suffer more by having to live with the guilt than they do dying. Not everyone values their life so highly that a death penalty deters them.

My opinion is that no one has the right to take the life of another. But I do also feel that there is people in this world who do not diserve to be alive based on the actions they decided to take.

So consider me conflicked I guess.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I was always against it but mmo-c did reinforce it, especially interactions with proponents of it and the thought processes and sentiments behind their support of it.

Did not change my views. There is not a single good argument for why there should be a death penalty so I find it very unlikely that I'll ever change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    Has mmo-champion ever changed anyone's minds about anything?...I think it more likely strengthened a lot of opinions...

Anyway, I'm in favor of it.
    On the "no flying in dranor" a similar poll showed a tiny % actually flipped their opinions. It also appeared to strengthened many on that issue too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    What I must ask then if the fear of the death penalty is supposed to deter the would be perpetrator then why do they still commit the offense if they know they are likely going to end up getting executed for it..
    Some people are just that brainless and messed up. They're beyond any reason, beyond pardon, and are unworthy of living since all they can do is cause harm to satisfy their urges.

Arab countries that cut off thieves' hands have the lowest crime rates, and corruption in China is very low due to it being punished by a shooting execution. The deterrence does work.
    And well with the news of a prisoner taking up to 40 minutes to die due to the chemicals used by the jail being substandard since the chemical companies that do produce the previously used chemicals boycotting the death penalty it makes you wonder..
    Lethal injection is quite odd, I'd say. Too elaborate and costly. Guillotine is cheap and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Some people are just that brainless and messed up. They're beyond any reason, beyond pardon, and are unworthy of living since all they can do is cause harm to satisfy their urges.

Arab countries that cut off thieves' hands have the lowest crime rates, and corruption in China is very low due to it being punished by a shooting execution. The deterrence does work.

Lethal injection is quite odd, I'd say. Too elaborate and costly. Guillotine is cheap and fast.
    Please look at the big picture.

In Canada, the 1993 homicide
    rate was some 25% below the rate at the time of abolition. Other nations
    such as Great Britain have experienced increases in murder--but even
    greater increases in other violent crimes which were never subject to death
    sentences. Some years ago this passage from a United Nations study summed
    it up: "It is generally agreed that the data which now exist show no
    correlation between the existence of capital punishment and lower rates of
    capital crime."19 The conclusion still holds. pdf

Corruption being low in china? Not really, It's a major issue
    http://dailyreckoning.com/over-10000...f-120-billion/

Money laundering is a HUGE problem.

Rehabilitation and low poverty rates are key in lowering crime.
    Norway recivism is about 20%, a country well known for gentle justice, and it's because of low poverty, rehabilitative justice, and less likely to be treated as criminals after they serve their crime.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-05-04 at 06:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know there's talk right now of this botched execution, but IMHO the scumbag got what he deserved, a small fraction of what his victim suffered at his hands. It'd be nice if they televised it. Might teach some moronic children what happens if you commit a heinous crime. It couldn't hurt worse than that poor Baseball player / Exchange Student who was shot because the Teens were "Bored" and wanted to commit a "thrill kill".

Bring back ole sparky.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    I know there's talk right now of this botched execution, but IMHO the scumbag got what he deserved, a small fraction of what his victim suffered at his hands. It'd be nice if they televised it. Might teach some moronic children what happens if you commit a heinous crime. It couldn't hurt worse than that poor Baseball player / Exchange Student who was shot because the Teens were "Bored" and wanted to commit a "thrill kill".

Bring back ole sparky.
    Although I disagree with the death penalty, I support televising the death penalty, doing "death penalty interviews" like in China, but for a different reason.
    Let people see how it's carried out, let people see how many are actually remorseful, and how many are still subhuman, know more of the truth before they decide on the issue. If the convicted starts suffering, do not close the curtains, the public has the right to see whats going on. If they still support it, well, fine, if they want to change and abolish it, awesome.