Poll: Would you pay to have a handwritten letter sent to someone as a gift?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    How is it any different than ordering flowers? I imagine everyone has given far more than they've actually picked, and they rarely have any pushback from that.
    There is a big difference between giving a woman flowers or just a card. Feel free to try for yourself, it's not something I recommend though.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I believe I've seen something similar called a 'fax' in a museum once.
    Ah, I think I went to that exhibit the word processor was before it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    If I can't be arsed to write a hand written thank you letter, then I can go to Smythson, or any other stationers, and buy them, either online or in a shop as the wedding industry sells this exact thing and has done for years.

This might work as an additional service that you offer, but I can't see it providing much income as a standalone service.
    Nah, over the internet it would work well. It would just need to be marketed right to move from being seen as impersonal to I care about you so much I wanted to send you a work of art. Yeah, you have to add some bs to it but that is the name of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maezer View Post
    You might try marketing it for special events. Ala wedding invitations. Or any premium gatherings like state dinners or political fundraisers. But you have to target very high end clients. Or you could market it those unable to write their own letters legibly (elderly clients) but that seems to be a very limited market targeting people not renown for having excess disposable income.
    The market for those is already there, people with "real" money will find someone to do stuff like this without the need of a special service. People with "real" money can get anything done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maezer View Post
    You might try marketing it for special events. Ala wedding invitations. Or any premium gatherings like state dinners or political fundraisers. But you have to target very high end clients. Or you could market it those unable to write their own letters legibly (elderly clients) but that seems to be a very limited market targeting people not renown for having excess disposable income.
    There is already stationers for high end functions and special events, and they offer a more complete range of services.

Pensioners maybe, but for the reasons you listed, and others such as any pensioner competent enough to buy something on the internet being able to send an email, that's probably a dead market as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    Nah, over the internet it would work well. It would just need to be marketed right to move from being seen as impersonal to I care about you so much I wanted to send you a work of art. Yeah, you have to add some bs to it but that is the name of the game.
    This service already exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not. If I want pretty text, I'll type it.

My handwriting is nigh illegible, however if someone actually got a hand written letter from me, it is probably something meaningful, intimate, and personal. A love letter, an apology, a death threat (sometimes all three in one note). That kind of stuff.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Probably not. If I want pretty text, I'll type it.

My handwriting is nigh illegible, however if someone actually got a hand written letter from me, it is probably something meaningful, intimate, and personal. A love letter, an apology, a death threat (sometimes all three in one note). That kind of stuff.
    I guess that's what I'm trying to hone in on: that sweet spot that is acceptable to have someone else do, but meaningful enough to still be a good gift. Maybe I'm just a bit biased because my handwriting is absolutely abysmal.
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

Deleted
    I guess that's what I'm trying to hone in on: that sweet spot that is acceptable to have someone else do, but meaningful enough to still be a good gift. Maybe I'm just a bit biased because my handwriting is absolutely abysmal.
    I know you are desperate for ideas for a business, well have this one for free, no need to pay me any royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I know you are desperate for ideas for a business, well have this one for free, no need to pay me any royalties.

Genius. I'll give you 50% for coming up with the idea
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is... There isn't a sweet spot. These are two different products. You're trying to market wheels to boat enthusiasts.

The entire point of a 'hand written letter' is that you wrote it. It came from, literally, your hand. It isn't about the time, or effort, or how nice it looks. Those aspects are entirely irrelevant. Just like cooking a meal for someone (well, okay maybe thats a bad analogy) but if you DON'T normally cook... Even if its shitty, the person you're cooking for ought to appreciate that you did that, and you tried, because you care.

Anything else is just typed up in some way.

EDIT: I should probably add, this is my -opinion-. I think hand writing has no real place in adult/business society anymore, outside of note taking or where typing isn't useful. For actual letters/communications, typing is the way to go.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post

This whole thing seems to be like a Viz Top Tip...

Guys, save time writing a thank you letter by not writing one.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The thing is... There isn't a sweet spot. These are two different products. You're trying to market wheels to boat enthusiasts.

The entire point of a 'hand written letter' is that you wrote it. It came from, literally, your hand. It isn't about the time, or effort, or how nice it looks. Those aspects are entirely irrelevant. Just like cooking a meal for someone (well, okay maybe thats a bad analogy) but if you DON'T normally cook... Even if its shitty, the person you're cooking for ought to appreciate that you did that, and you tried, because you care.

Anything else is just typed up in some way.

EDIT: I should probably add, this is my -opinion-. I think hand writing has no real place in adult/business society anymore, outside of note taking or where typing isn't useful. For actual letters/communications, typing is the way to go.
    Hm, you might be right. I appreciate the feedback; might go back to the drawing board on this one.

www.spinatlantic.com

I would pay for invitations, maybe some traditional styled poetry in a different, more exotic ( to me) languages. As an art piece that is.
    I have no qualms about writing as something framed esp if the person who writes it, is excellent in their strokes and formation or whatever.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would a appreciate a well handwritten letter from someone I know. They don't even have to be the one who actual wrote it, its the thought. I'm an IT geek, I appreciate antiquated material (even though handwriting isn't old fashioned, calligraphy is uncommon).

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I would a appreciate a well handwritten letter from someone I know. They don't even have to be the one who actual wrote it, its the thought. I'm an IT geek, I appreciate antiquated material (even though handwriting isn't old fashioned, calligraphy is uncommon).
    Could you envision yourself sending one of these as well, or just receiving?

www.spinatlantic.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you envision yourself sending one of these as well, or just receiving?
    The only person I know that would appreciate one (besides myself) is my mom. Actually it would absolutely be a nice present for a mom from one of her kids.

I see someone else just recently watched "Her."
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I see someone else just recently watched "Her."
    Coincidentally, I hadn't even heard of the movie until everyone mentioned it in the comments here. It's nothing other than a silly chance that the idea came about around the same time. Maybe I saw a billboard and subliminally had the idea, but I'd never seen the trailer until about 5 minutes ago.

www.spinatlantic.com

No.... if I'm going to send a handwritten letter to someone... it'll be by my hand and not someone else. If I want to send something with fancy writing, well... there's cards galore or fonts to type it out with. If I want to make it extra special, well, I'd add a drawing... again, something I am quite capable of doing myself. Handwritten... to me.. = personal. intimate. Not something I would pay someone else to do. Feels like... cheaping out >.> imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    This service already exists.
    Yes, I am aware the service exists but that does not mean he cannot start up a similar service. The difference would be the angle he would take in marketing. Also services can be expanded on so starting off with limited services is not a big deal. As the business grows so can the services but it would crazy to start off with too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    Yes, I am aware the service exists but that does not mean he cannot start up a similar service. The difference would be the angle he would take in marketing. Also services can be expanded on so starting off with limited services is not a big deal. As the business grows so can the services but it would crazy to start off with too many.
    If you don't mind me asking, what type of peripheral services could you see accompanying this one; or, conversely, what services could you see that could take center stage and position handwritten letters as a side-offering?

www.spinatlantic.com