CM Specific Gear

Looking to do CMs on some of my alts before they are removed, my priest is a couple of pieces off of being BiS for CMs. I'm not going for fast times or anything special, just gold for the Transmog. Is building a new set of CM specific gear really necessary to do golds? Or is knowledge/experience/skill enough to do them without a great hassle?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just did them in my normal raid gear personally, but we weren't going for fastest times or anything either. I have mostly flex gear though, so lots o'sockets.
    You're a towel.

No, all the sets I got were with my normal gear.

You can do golds pretty easily no matter what gear you're wearing.

If you want to optimize a little without going full BiS, consider picking up a DMF trinket and Timeless Isle trinket. SoO trinkets blow for CMs and both of those are easy to get. If you're an Engi, throw on goggles. If you're an Alchemist, throw on the trinket (in place of the TI one).

You can do it with a rogue, so you can do it with a priest in any gear really :P

Probably the biggest difference is to get a working meta gem, since the legendary gem proc is disabled in CMs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only slot you really need to have special CM-only piece for is a head, presuming you are usually rocking the legendary meta, which doesn't work in CMs. Losing a meta is pretty harsh, so you should get another hat and throw a regular meta in it. Ideally, you'd farm a 463 piece with max sockets for every slot but if your goal is just getting gold and not getting a realm-best time, then you're probably fine using your main set.

I did build a special set on one of my characters, but on the other I just swapped out a hat, trinket, and ring.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I did 9/9 gold on two characters so far that were just in boosted gear.

CMs are a joke now! Just go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Halym View Post
    I did 9/9 gold on two characters so far that were just in boosted gear.

CMs are a joke now! Just go for it.
    This. I have joined numerous groups where, before the CM, we have had to quickly run the heroic as one person is on a boosted 90. And to be honest, the boosted toons in their boosted gear perform absolutely fine. We weren't an optimised gear group, and this hunter was doing the same DPS / more DPS than us in boosted gear. Whether thats because the others were slacking or not... who knows, we got CMs in 6/9 dungeons with this boosted guy (boy did I get a lot of JP from running the heroics before hand) so who cares.

I'm sure your gear is fine whatever its current state is.
    Chronic Sufferer of A.D.H.L.A.S. (Attention Deficit Hey Look A Squirrel)
    Garrosh would wage war against the ocean for not being made out of orcs.

Deleted
    You can easily get gold with 5 boosted chars, being guardian druid, resto-shaman, rogue, retri, boomkin in green i483. All depends on the players you play with. But it's really easy to get a few better pieces and make it easier^_- e.g. trinkets from timeless isle, working meta gem, some enchants and 7-10 sockets are really easy to get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it will be harder if you had boosted gear or poorly itemized gear but not at all impossible. Its usually pretty simple to grab a couple pieces that work if you are a character you've been playing for a while, even just a quick run through an LFR or two for some pieces with sockets. But not necessary if you know your class well. 5 boosted characters who are still learning their classes and who aren't experienced with CMs would struggle and hit a learning curve that would take some working through, but even then it would be doable.

You dont need bis gear to do CM gold, people who farm these bis is because they are either selling runs or going for the best time.

Deleted
    If you do get a boosted character keep the starter the gear - for a lot of the classes the gear is really well optimised for CMs - a lot better than random timeless gear.

Also see this thread.

I found I could farm a lot of BiS pieces by chilling in ToT LFR 3/4. Reasonably fast raids and you can work on your cloak in addition to grabbing a lot of key pieces of gear.

Deleted
    lol no just get plenty of sockets and ure good to go

knowledge/experience/skill is enough to do them without a great hassle.

I for instance did 9/9 gold on a freshly boosted 90 mage. Friend of mine (full green blood DK) made gold without any hassle.

Deleted
    If you are aiming gold any gear which is atleast reforged to hit and expertice cap is enough. If you are aiming for realm best then you need to start optimizing your gear.