Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I live in the southern part of Illinois. Its about 4 hours south of Chicago. I gotta say, I don't like the area. Its very dull, has few jobs, and for being in the middle of nowhere, its always loud because of the trains. The trains also kill a lot of commerce because its all coal, grain and lumber trains that are miles long and, they just park across railroad crossings for hours a a time. The town I live in is really small, and the railroad cuts in in half. Most days you can't get from one side of town to the other because of trains on the tracks all day. No one can get to the few businesses we have on the far side of the tracks. Also not a very good place to live if you ever get into any kind of medical emergency because if your on one side of the tracks and have to get to the next town over to get to the hospital, you might die in the ambulance as there is only 2 ways out of town and they are both on one side of the tracks. Actually... 2 people did last year, and in a town of 600, that's a pretty big deal. Also, our public funds all go to Chicago so our roads and public buildings are falling apart. All we get from them is corrupt politicians.

The only thing the area where I live has going for it is that its so small there is no crime. Everyone knows what everyone else is doing, or has been doing, or who they have been doing whatever with. Its really annoying, but if you ever need to find out what happened in the town, you can ask just about anyone and most likely they can answer.
    Last edited by Eldonia; 2014-05-08 at 06:24 PM.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post
    NJ sucks. I lived in South Jersey which was ok, now I live in North Jersey for work and its much worse. People up here can't fucking merge, drive with headphones/earbuds, to crowded (a 25 minute drive to work takes 45-50min), no consideration for other people, but hey these are just my experiences thus far. I would like to get out of here ASAP, preferably out midwest/west or at least back down to South Jersey.
    New Jersey drivers are the absolute most shitty fucking drivers on the face of America. It's so damn bad, it's just horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I give my corner of Houston a 7/10.

It's a nice neighborhood with some cool pubs and restaurants, a really good Museum of Fine Arts, some nice parks. Unfortunately, being Houston, the beach sucks ass, there's no mountains, no hiking nearby, no rock climbing (except indoor studios), no waterfalls, etc. While the part of town that I live in is fairly liberal, it doesn't have the wacky willingness to try anything that I grew up with in California. Plus, people are a bit less open to meeting and talking to strangers in Houston than where I grew up, so you don't get as many awesome random encounters. Because the weather sucks in the Summer so bad, there's less of an outdoor culture, so you'll find less places where people just sit outside a coffee shop reading a newspaper with their dog or whatever. The roads are less friendly to bicycles, and there usually aren't any right turn lanes, which drives me nuts. The only light rail is quite limited.

I give it a 7 because the pubs around here really are pretty nice, and it's a really really cheap place to live, and it's given me a great career. Plus, I'm not far from Austin, which is really a kickass city.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I give my corner of Houston a 7/10.

It's a nice neighborhood with some cool pubs and restaurants, a really good Museum of Fine Arts, some nice parks. Unfortunately, being Houston, the beach sucks ass, there's no mountains, no hiking nearby, no rock climbing (except indoor studios), no waterfalls, etc. While the part of town that I live in is fairly liberal, it doesn't have the wacky willingness to try anything that I grew up with in California. Plus, people are a bit less open to meeting and talking to strangers in Houston than where I grew up, so you don't get as many awesome random encounters. Because the weather sucks in the Summer so bad, there's less of an outdoor culture, so you'll find less places where people just sit outside a coffee shop reading a newspaper with their dog or whatever. The roads are less friendly to bicycles, and there usually aren't any right turn lanes, which drives me nuts. The only light rail is quite limited.

I give it a 7 because the pubs around here really are pretty nice, and it's a really really cheap place to live, and it's given me a great career. Plus, I'm not far from Austin, which is really a kickass city.
    ugh.... what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    ugh.... what?
    Yeah, I'm used to something like this from where I grew up in California:

Which usually means even if the traffic in front of you is stopped at the light, you can usually make a right turn.

In Houston, it's more like this, where every lane if for through traffic:

The result is that when you want to turn right on a red, there is almost ALWAYS some asshole in front of you going straight who is waiting for the light, so you're forced to wait with him. It's obnoxious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate living in the South (U.S.). I'm leaving next year with diploma in hand. The West is calling me home.

You know what I mean? Hobbits, Pacific Ocean, hippies.

Hammerfest, Norway. Far north.

Its 8 may and im freezing my ass off in the night. Thats just wrong at this time of year:P

I like the weather here and the long winter and the summer here is fantastic if the weather is good. It was awesome last year. With the midnight sun up and litterally same light 24 hours for weeks is great. It's really something special.

On the other hand, in the winter we get total darkness for many weeks. Can be hard to get through, but its well worth it if the summer is good

But right now I want a tad higher temperatures. But I know where I live, so I gotta accept it!

Overall, im very happy where I live.
    Follow me on twitter @crusadernero
    Nero - Human Retribution Paladin on Burning Blade EU.

I'm about 45 minutes north of Houston, I like being outside of big towns where I can just hop in the car and go fishing or shoot my gun. The weather is awesome (to me) after living in Sw Virginia the last 7 years I just didn't want to be around all that snow again. Also up in Va there was no Tex Mex that I love oh so much or bbq......we had no bbq joints in like 3 counties....

Now the town I live doesn't really offer much in the way of good consistent prepared food, its usually hit or miss, but because I'm in Texas everything is just a little drive away which I can live with. I can also relate to Reeve and how the lack of right turn lanes in Houston can be quite annoying.

In the future I want to visit Hawaii to see if it is a place my wife and I would like to live ( I want to, she doesn't want to leave her family, which I would not mind a bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    ----
    ooh I see.
    That must be annoying indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavol View Post
    I hate living in the South (U.S.). I'm leaving next year with diploma in hand. The West is calling me home.

You know what I mean? Hobbits, Pacific Ocean, hippies.
    not sure I do actually.

I am not happy at all. I want to move to the English/Welsh countryside for the surroundings and to keep pets. Currently residing in a medium sized city in Sweden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh it's alright. It's nice being really close to downtown, while also being 60~ miles from the beach. The only thing I hate is the extreme liberals. Hell I bet 70% of them weren't even born here and only came because they wanted to be w/ all the other hipsters. I can tolerate liberals, but it's the ones who are non stop condemning all conservatives and talking about how minimum wage should increase.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boring. Holland is really boring. It's like playing on a low populated server in a video game. Or at least where I live it's like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderNerò87 View Post
    Hammerfest, Norway. Far north.

Its 8 may and im freezing my ass off in the night. Thats just wrong at this time of year:P

I like the weather here and the long winter and the summer here is fantastic if the weather is good. It was awesome last year. With the midnight sun up and litterally same light 24 hours for weeks is great. It's really something special.

On the other hand, in the winter we get total darkness for many weeks. Can be hard to get through, but its well worth it if the summer is good

But right now I want a tad higher temperatures. But I know where I live, so I gotta accept it!

Overall, im very happy where I live.
    For me its the other way araund.
    (have a window in my bedroom, I franticly try to block it out but somehow it always gets through)
    I rather love the darkness in the winter, always been a "inside" person lol.
    And it has a cristmasy feel about it. +++ nothern lights are awesome.

I rate my satisfaction for where I live as 5 out of 10. Would move.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a scale of 10, 5/10. A 5 only because I've lived here my whole life and walking through my old neighborhood brings back some awesome memories from when I was a kid. Other than that this place is a total garbage dump. Thankfully, I currently live in a very nice neighborhood but when I go to work it's like entering the slums. It may not look like it but for me I can just feel it around me, it's just different than what it used to be. When I was a kid this place used to be so nice. It was decently clean no assholes or crazies out on the street...much and it was just an overall nice neighborhood to live in. Now...it's just a dump. Low-lives everywhere, trashing up the place, living like pigs and just desecrating my once nice neighborhood. Then there's the jobs...there's nothing. Someday in my life I'm just going to have to move out of here because there is just nothing to make a decent living on. Right now though, I'm in no position to just up and leave so I don't know when or if that day will ever come.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsentry View Post
    I'm about 45 minutes north of Houston, I like being outside of big towns where I can just hop in the car and go fishing or shoot my gun. The weather is awesome (to me) after living in Sw Virginia the last 7 years I just didn't want to be around all that snow again. Also up in Va there was no Tex Mex that I love oh so much or bbq......we had no bbq joints in like 3 counties....

Now the town I live doesn't really offer much in the way of good consistent prepared food, its usually hit or miss, but because I'm in Texas everything is just a little drive away which I can live with. I can also relate to Reeve and how the lack of right turn lanes in Houston can be quite annoying.

In the future I want to visit Hawaii to see if it is a place my wife and I would like to live ( I want to, she doesn't want to leave her family, which I would not mind a bit)
    Huntsville? Or Madisonville?

Kinda depends if you're counting 45 minutes from Houston as starting from the city limit or the edge of the metro area...
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-05-08 at 10:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    10/10. I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia Canada, truly the greatest place on Earth. It would have to sink to the ocean floor before I'd consider moving.
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

15+ Year Old Account
    Horrible.

I lived on my own, went to college, survived, graduated, survived again, then landed in a hole that forced me back in with my parents. Those were some good 6yrs that I long to have again but I just can't afford it and that sucks so much donkey balls.

When you support yourself and are independent long enough... then find yourself back in the nest it causes tension with momma and poppa bear that was never there before. You start seeing your parents from an adult perspective (and they don't, believe me). It's weird... I've had arguments over my parent's own lives and how they screw up things here recently.

But If I had to grade myself...
    Happiness: C- (it's gotten better now that I have a job, but like I said we're roommates now not father & son)
    Satisfaction in life at this moment: C+

Quote Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
    10/10. I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia Canada, truly the greatest place on Earth. It would have to sink to the ocean floor before I'd consider moving.
    Guess I'll take the opportunity to visit Vancouver whenever I have the time to, everyone that lives there seems to be quite happy with the place.

Seattle WA, I love the location in the Pacific Northwest, relatively progressive politics (we have a vote coming up for 15 bucks an hour min wage, legalization of marijuana, very pro-gay rights, pro abortion..etc), I'd give it 8/10 only because houses and rent prices are crazy but I plan on buying a place about 20 miles south after I finish school.