Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is i5 4570 + GT 760 overkill for wow?

Thinking about upgrading to the i5 4570 and GTX 760, but I know that WoW isn't as intensive on specs as something like BF4. Are the two overkill for playing wow on ultra or should I go ahead a get them?

Considering how badly optimized this game is, I would only consider it a plus to upgrade. Hell, I got an Intel Core i7 CPU 870 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz, upgraded to 8gig RAM, an AMD Radeon HD 7700 and a new motherboard mid-MoP and it enabled me to run on Ultra everywhere in the world and at good settings in raids, always at 60fps. Then a patch hit and now I can only run fair settings in the world and lowest of the low in 25-man raids. Anything above fair in the world = constant stutter.

So, I plan to upgrade once more in WoD. More power = better. If you can afford and want the boost to your system for other areas as well, then go for it. And do tell how WoW works if you do . Especially in Jade Forest at Ultra...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZ View Post
    Thinking about upgrading to the i5 4570 and GTX 760, but I know that WoW isn't as intensive on specs as something like BF4. Are the two overkill for playing wow on ultra or should I go ahead a get them?
    Overkill? Nope, depends on your setup and keep in mind that WoW won´t run with 60+ fps during 25man raids on ultra. If you can, wait 1-2 months longer and get an i7 and/or a better gpu (680 or 770) for future titles

You'll probably get 30-40 FPS in most 25man fights with ultra + low shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Then a patch hit and now I can only run fair settings in the world and lowest of the low in 25-man raids. Anything above fair in the world = constant stutter.

So, I plan to upgrade once more in WoD. More power = better. If you can afford and want the boost to your system for other areas as well, then go for it. And do tell how WoW works if you do . Especially in Jade Forest at Ultra...
    If a single patch can hinder performance that much, should I hold off on upgrades until the next xpan comes out?

10+ Year Old Account
    If a single patch can hinder performance that much, should I hold off on upgrades until the next xpan comes out?
    WoD isn't changing much. The power requirements now will be nearly the same as later. The things people are saying about performance applies -now-. Not the expansion.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Actually that's not true. The system requirements in WoD will be changing somewhat since we're getting new character models... I'd wait to upgrade until WoD unless you plan on disabling them.
    They're making spell effects less visible too, so I think you'll be fine with i5 4570 + GTX760

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The system requirements in WoD will be changing somewhat since we're getting new character models... I'd wait to upgrade until WoD unless you plan on disabling them.
    How will waiting help? You'll still need a good setup. As good as, if not better. Your setup won't change the requirements, so theres really no point in waiting, except perhaps for waiting for Haswell Refresh in a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by badaku View Post
    They're making spell effects less visible too, so I think you'll be fine with i5 4570 + GTX760
    Spell effects isn't really what hits the CPU. I would not recommend the 4570, now, or it WoD.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi there,

I am currently running that spec i5 4570 with Gigabyte 760OC Rev1+8GB 1600MHz RAM and even on Ordos(40man) i have a FPS of ~40-45 on Ultra Settings.
    - Kiske

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    WoD isn't changing much. The power requirements now will be nearly the same as later. The things people are saying about performance applies -now-. Not the expansion.
    With the visual changes, and that claimed 50-75% less visual stuff flying about in 25hc, I do think that, in that perspective, we will see a significant performance increase.

That being said, I think the 4570+gtx 760 would be fine for this game, and even if it's somewhat overkill, you'll still have some solid hardware for other upcoming titles, if you intend on playing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiske20 View Post
    I am currently running that spec i5 4570 with Gigabyte 760OC Rev1+8GB 1600MHz RAM and even on Ordos(40man) i have a FPS of ~40-45 on Ultra Settings.
    Ordos is a really awkward gauge, because it could be anywhere from 15-50 people. Also, usually we don't stress much over people 'saying' what they get... Because 100% of them can never prove they get that rate, if it's something silly.

I've been doing testing to get more accurate raid benchmarks, and on a 3570K @ 4.5ghz, it's hitting right about 35 stable. So I can't imagine a 4570 hitting that, or better, unless some settings are tweaked, or you're counting 'peak' or out of combat as your fps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    With the visual changes, and that claimed 50-75% less visual stuff flying about in 25hc, I do think that, in that perspective, we will see a significant performance increase.
    Again.. The VISUAL stuff isn't the large hit to fps. The spell effects aren't what tax the CPU. So less visual stuff has pretty little bearing on things. It's like saying that your car ought to go faster with better quality fuel. It... might? I mean I don't know the engineering aspect, but there won't be any noticable difference. These things are unrelated, largely.

Tbf, what has happened to me is abnormal. Others with weaker setups than mine are not having any issues. I'd say you should make upgrades as high as you can afford. My only reason for waiting until WoD is because I wanna see if these issues I have will go away, and I'm saving up to purchase a really strong setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Tbf, what has happened to me is abnormal.
    How is it abnormal? You have half a decade old tech that's now 4 generations old, on a lower clock... The new Pentium G1830 for $60 likely would perform better. An i3 certainly would. What are these 'weaker' setups? Because chances are, they aren't weaker.
    I wanna see if these issues I have will go away, and I'm saving up to purchase a really strong setup.
    If you're waiting for WoD, don't bother. The issues won't go away. If anything, performance demand will remain the same (i.e. system demand goes up, but efficiency does too, breaking even).

Or at least, don't bother waiting after the next few weeks when Haswell Refresh happens

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    How will waiting help? You'll still need a good setup. As good as, if not better. Your setup won't change the requirements, so theres really no point in waiting, except perhaps for waiting for Haswell Refresh in a week or two.

Spell effects isn't really what hits the CPU. I would not recommend the 4570, now, or it WoD.
    Would you suggest I bump up to 4670 or maybe even an i7/Xeon 1230v3 if you would not recommend the 4570? My current setup is fine atm, but it's getting dated and I feel like playing on ultra if I am going to upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd either go with a 4670K + Z87 board and appropriate cooler... Or wait a week or two and see what the haswell refresh is price-wise. You'd either be looking at a i5-4690K and overclocking it, or a 4690, which will top out at about 3.7ghz

The difference won't be huge, though. The only difference between the 4670K and the 4690K, is probably about 200mhz, due to better Thermal Interface. If the refresh + board costs more than $40-50 total.. I wouldn't bother with it over the 4670K.

Don't bother with i7's or Xeons, they don't provide any more performance (and sometimes less) than the i5's for WoW.

How dangerous is overclocking? I'm not really comfortable overclocking since I've heard it voids warranties and can cause heat issues, and I've never done it before. Would the 4670 non-k work fine since I don't plan to overlock atm?

Deleted
    It's kind of a joke that WoW doesn't run on 4 cores as of 2014. And that's the reason for WoW running badly in huge fights. The whole game runs on 1-2 CPU cores all the time, instead of using the other 2 from quad cores.
    I guess it's something they will ever change for WoW. Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 also run on 2 cores only. Which is nothing but blatantly unaccaptable by blizzard in the modern gaming industry.
    If the next huge game by Blizzard doesn't support at least quad core, i'll lose all belief into Blizzard

How dangerous is overclocking? I'm not really comfortable overclocking since I've heard it voids warranties and can cause heat issues, and I've never done it before. Would the 4670 non-k work fine since I don't plan to overlock atm?
    Only if you want to pay extra for better cooling. I think you'll only really notice faster loading times though? most bench marks ive seen as of late only give 1-5 fps increases. someone else may be able to elaborate for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not.. really all that dangerous. Maybe ten years ago. These days if you do something wrong you just reset BIOS and start over, or tweak things. There are tons of guides.

A 4670 will -work-.. Just not as well. A good 15-20% less, for almost the same price.

If your budget supports it, you either overclock, or just accept lower performance at a lower budget.

Only if you want to pay extra for better cooling. I think you'll only really notice faster loading times though? most bench marks ive seen as of late only give 1-5 fps increases. someone else may be able to elaborate for me
    No, it's not faster loading times. Overclocking shines the most in stuff like raids. Not questing/dailies/dungeons. In raids, you're looking at a good 15-20% increase of minimum frames (maximum is a poor judgement of performance)

If you can safely say "I will never, ever, enter a raid or LFR" then you don't need to overclock. An i3 would suit fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 also run on 2 cores only. Which is nothing but blatantly unaccaptable by blizzard in the modern gaming industry.
    Er, you do realize that MOST games do that. Thats an industry standard, not Blizzard failing. There's like... 3 games that really utilize more cores to any degree decently. Those are the outliers.

curious why you didn't like the 4570. I got worried that you no longer liked my 4670K. Saw you just recommend it, so I'm happy.

In the meantime though I googled for a comparison (didn't know about the 4570), and only saw about 3%. I know that's factory spec'd, so is it specifically on the overclockability that you didn't like the 4570?

Just curious what makes it an inferior chip that you specifically called it out as not-recommended. Just because there are better options at a not much higher price point?