Yeah, it's definitely not finished. They still have to clean up a lot of UI coding overhead. Then we have official GPU driver support coming up. That said, don't expect massive gains over what you currently see in beta. There's three large factors contributing to all of the complaints right now:

1. The game has a massive draw distance. Like, huge. They toned it down last week, but still even at half way, it equates to WoW's view distance maxed out. A week ago 1/4 the way would have been the correct amount.

2. Redundant polys, all over the place. You'll never see them, but they're getting rendered. Half of the assets that the engine is displaying could be hidden for massive gains, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to change. Seems like they're keeping them there due to having flying mounts still on the table in the not so distant future.

3. So many AMD users are contributing the most to the complaints. If you look at the official forums, most of the people whining and posting their specs are either using AMD or 7 year old Intel Nehalem chips. Trying to explain why even a $100 Haswell i3 has nearly 100% higher IPC which would translate into near 100% gains is maddening. Most don't want to hear it and just yell "NO YOU'RE WRONG TASK MANAGER ONLY SHOWS 25% USAGE IDIOT".

That said, you should still probably wait. However, they have said that they're offloading a lot of tasks from the 2 primary threads to others, so quad cores may be optimal. I'd prepare to at least get an i7-xxxx mobile chip, as most of the mobile i5s are only dual core with HyperThreading.