Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Upgrade or buy whole new rig

Hello, community!

I have a 2-year old gaming rig which I was thinking of replacing soon, but I'm not sure whether I can get a good bang for my buck where I live (Serbia).
    I don't have the specs at the moment, but, from the top of my head, they go something like this:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455 Processor 3.30 Ghz
    GPU: GeForce GTX 460SE 1GB DDR5
    RAM: 4GB DDR3, unknown speed
    Motherboard: unknown
    HDD: 1TB SATA2, unknown manufacturer

The rig I've been thinking of buying looks something like this Click! and would cost me around 450 euros. Considering I bought my current PC for around 300 euros 2 years ago, would this be a noticable upgrade in terms of price-to-performance ratio?

If not, I was thinking of just upgrading my current rig piece by piece. In that case, what GPU and CPU would you recommend in the price range of 200 euros for each component?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Yeah. It's funny how they reverse the whole thing. The fact of the matter is... if a customer created a scene in real life like they are in the forums, they would be removed from the store. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Example: GC works at McDonalds. Some idiots walks up to the counter and asks for a Whopper. GC tells him they do not sell Whoppers. The idiot flips a nut. Calls GC off and throws straws at him. GC asks him to leave.

That's about $100-200 overpriced from what I can see.

It might be better to just start fresh, as most of what you have is quite old, and you're going to most likely have to buy more than a couple new things to upgrade.

But if you'd like to upgrade the existing computer instead, you'll need a new motherboard for another CPU, so I don't know if you'd like to say CPU+Mobo=~€200. What is the wattage of your power supply?

I don't know what other pre-built PCs you have access to, and I also don't know what other options for parts you have in Serbia.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-05-10 at 12:32 AM.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, prices sky-rocketed a year ago because of a new electronics tax. Everything is more expensive than in most countries, so I guess that's why you'd say this rig is overpriced. That's something to take into consideration.

We actually have a good variety of available parts and pre-built PCs. So, anything you recommend I'll probably be able to buy here.

As for the CPU and Mobo question, I'd spend 200e on a CPU and then buy an appropriate Mobo. My power supply is 400W.
    Yeah. It's funny how they reverse the whole thing. The fact of the matter is... if a customer created a scene in real life like they are in the forums, they would be removed from the store. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Example: GC works at McDonalds. Some idiots walks up to the counter and asks for a Whopper. GC tells him they do not sell Whoppers. The idiot flips a nut. Calls GC off and throws straws at him. GC asks him to leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delijica View Post
    Well, prices sky-rocketed a year ago because of a new electronics tax. Everything is more expensive than in most countries, so I guess that's why you'd say this rig is overpriced. That's something to take into consideration.

We actually have a good variety of available parts and pre-built PCs. So, anything you recommend I'll probably be able to buy here.

As for the CPU and Mobo question, I'd spend 200e on a CPU and then buy an appropriate Mobo. My power supply is 400W.
    I would highly recommend not buying that prebuilt :P not for 450e anyway -_-

For 450e you can get a beastly PC :

Use this link, if it does not break

If that link breaks: http://tinyurl.com/ll6dqrg
    CPU: i3-4330
    Mobo: Asrock H81 HDS
    RAM: Patriot cl9 1600mhz 2x4GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 660

That's CPU, RAM, Mobo and GPU, and it's only ~400e, if you want to spend the rest 50e, buy a new PSU, I would highly recommend so.

For PSU, either this http://www.monitor.rs/index.php?page...mart&Itemid=82
    Or this: http://www.monitor.rs/index.php?page...mart&Itemid=82

Reuse old HDD and Case

This PC would play you on Ultra for a few years, then you would have to go back to High (the horror).
    PM me weird stuff :3

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Haha, thanks for showing me that website. I've never seen them advertise anywhere, so I didn't know about them. Their prices are noticeably lower than in other stores.

I tinkered around with their gear and came up with this Click! for around 430 Euros. I would be reusing my HDD and case, of course. What do you think?

Edit: They also have a sale on R9 270X 2GB GDDR5, it costs the same as the GTX660 2GB GDDR5. Would that be a better option?
    Last edited by Delijica; 2014-05-15 at 08:46 PM.

Deleted
    I'd argue that the 270X is slightly better, but it's also noisier. So it's down to personal preference.

Deleted
    Isn't there an option to get a better power supply in that price range, something like Cyrops suggested ?

Deleted
    The Superflower Amazon 550W is also at the same price-point as the Seasonic 450 on Monitor.rs.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    500W is not enough power for the rig I linked? The ones Cyrops suggested are 30-40e more expensive than the one I used in this build.

Deleted
    500W is awesome, the quality of that specific one tho isnt

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Haha, alright. Barring that, does the rest of the build seem ok?

Deleted
    Yes its fine ^^

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Great, thanks for all the hellp, guys!