Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Quick UH Sim-C Question

Hey fellas!

I recently ran Sim-C earlier on myself and noticed that it puts my weight at Crit>Haste~=Mastery as opposed to Crit>Master>Haste and I was just wondering if this is due to gear scaling and I've reached a point where Haste begins to pull ahead of Mastery or if this is a due to the fact that I selected one target in the settings rather than multiple? I'm not at my station at the moment, so I can't check that right off the fly.

If I were to follow the new weights, I would lose ~8% mastery to gain ~6% haste.

The exact weights were 3.7/3.38/3.34 for Crit/Haste/Mastery while using 'good' skill, 10k iterations and light movement. Also, for those who may look at my profile, I had to manipulate and import the data in to Sim-C from Askmrrobot because the BOA weapon I want to test it with, 561 Decapitator, is currently being used on my Paladin.

TL;DR - Did I do bad on simming myself?
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2014-05-10 at 06:25 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I'm heading home atm so maybe once I get there I can give more info if I find it, but overall Simcraft sucks for DK's unless you change the AMS soaking values. I don't have the exact value I use on hand, but it pretty much maxes out AMS soaking so that it works in the runic gained from it. Overall the higher gear you go what you "should" end up going for is Crit/Mastery balanced, with Haste being at a value you enjoy it being at. I'm in almost BIS gear and I run just a few under 4600 haste.

Unless you change the AMS soaking value it will always overvalue haste for you, as the default amount of damage it soaks/the amount of times it soaks is very low compared to how much we can do today with Galk's eye and Regen Magic glyph.

-Side note, switch from glyph of AMS to Glyph of Regen Magic and you will have haste affect you even less.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Super, thanks for the reply and I'll look in to changing my glyph!
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I just switched from DW frost to try Unholy out, and I've struggled with the same issue, Rustweaver. I recalled that people had said you need to adjust Sim-C's haste-gained-from-AMS-soaking but had no real idea how to do that or what that value actually would be.

Having said that, I have noticed quite a bit of disparity as I peruse as many top-ranking unholy dk's as I can for pointers. I see quite a few go with, as Maxweii said above, the lower haste value in the 4-6k area, but then I've noticed there's not an insignificant number of the same top rankers that are going with more like 7-9k (when it appears they could have reforged away at least some of it). I tried target dummy'ing with about 9k haste as my initial sims were telling me to go, using Runic Corruption, and there were definitely moments, not in general, where I had rune pairs cap before I could use it up. I have to imagine in raid setting there would be many more of those moments.

For now, until I get more experience with unholy, I'm going to treat it as Maxweii suggested above, just trying to find the spot that I am not rune-capping and feel that I am comfortable with. Although, my sim seemed to change it's value of haste a bit depending on whether I chose Runic Corruption or Blood Tap (which I would just wind up macro'ing for now until I have more experience with the rotation), but I'm not sure if the difference was significant or just random variation (the sim was set on 10k iterations). I would be interested in hearing from the more experienced unholy DK's if the value of haste changes at all in their mind with the choice of RC vs BT.

Also, not on the issue of haste, but rather on gems....also seems to be some disparity between those that choose crafty vermilion (exp/crit) versus inscribed vermilion. (str/crit). Askmrrobot seems to always suggest going with the Crafty gem, but I hear good and bad things about AMR.

my armory is Grimdeeds on US-Blackrock

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdeeds View Post
    I just switched from DW frost to try Unholy out, and I've struggled with the same issue, Rustweaver. I recalled that people had said you need to adjust Sim-C's haste-gained-from-AMS-soaking but had no real idea how to do that or what that value actually would be.
    By default, you'll get 100 RP every 60 seconds with AMS in SimC. You can adjust this by changing the following line and toying with the interval and damage values. Generally something like 60,000 per 30-ish seconds is much more realistic for most Siege encounters:
    Code:
    actions+=/antimagic_shell,damage=100000,interval=60
    Having said that, I have noticed quite a bit of disparity as I peruse as many top-ranking unholy dk's as I can for pointers. I see quite a few go with, as Maxweii said above, the lower haste value in the 4-6k area, but then I've noticed there's not an insignificant number of the same top rankers that are going with more like 7-9k (when it appears they could have reforged away at least some of it).
    Haste is largely a matter of personal preference. The only objective value it has is granting an extra cast for Gargoyle somewhere in the 6k+ region (I'm unsure as to the exact breakpoint) and some extra swings for your Ghoul/Army.

I tried target dummy'ing with about 9k haste as my initial sims were telling me to go, using Runic Corruption, and there were definitely moments, not in general, where I had rune pairs cap before I could use it up. I have to imagine in raid setting there would be many more of those moments.
    Target dummies for reference in just about anything are a terrible idea. AMS accounts for such a massive portion of your overall resource flow that you can't get anywhere near accurate results on a dummy. As for haste, generally aim for a ballpark that you've deemed yourself to be comfortable in.

For now, until I get more experience with unholy, I'm going to treat it as Maxweii suggested above, just trying to find the spot that I am not rune-capping and feel that I am comfortable with. Although, my sim seemed to change it's value of haste a bit depending on whether I chose Runic Corruption or Blood Tap (which I would just wind up macro'ing for now until I have more experience with the rotation), but I'm not sure if the difference was significant or just random variation (the sim was set on 10k iterations). I would be interested in hearing from the more experienced unholy DK's if the value of haste changes at all in their mind with the choice of RC vs BT.
    There should be very little if any deviation in haste's value between the RC and BT. Granted I haven't done any simming between the two talents myself since I swear by unmacroed BT and would encourage everyone to do the same.

Also, not on the issue of haste, but rather on gems....also seems to be some disparity between those that choose crafty vermilion (exp/crit) versus inscribed vermilion. (str/crit). Askmrrobot seems to always suggest going with the Crafty gem, but I hear good and bad things about AMR.
    AMR is very accurate granted you tweak the options correctly.

I've personally done a fair bit of simming and Crafties have always come out on top of Inscribeds for all situations (be it 1 target, 2, 4, 8, 20 or 48). With that said, if you've gotten proper weights from SimC for yourself and plug them into AMR and it's telling you to gem Crafties in red sockets, I'd recommend following that advice.

This is great info, thank you for the help, Vereesa!

=)