Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Does this article make you feel awkward?

Too see the video please go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-27338770

On Sunday, the charity Scope is launching a national television campaign to get people talking about why they might feel "awkward" around disabled people. Comedian Lee Ridley, known as Lost Voice Guy, regularly experiences public awkwardness.

Hello. I'm Lee, and I'm disabled. Do you feel awkward yet?

In fact, I have a disability called cerebral palsy and, in my case, it means I can't speak (I use a communication aid to talk with - a bit like Stephen Hawking but better looking). I move like a zombie from The Walking Dead, and the right side of my body is weaker than my left. Do you feel awkward now?

What if I told you that I also do stand-up comedy where I enjoy taking the mick out of myself and disability in general. How awkward are you about that? Judging by some audience members I've encountered recently, you may not know where to look.
    According to a survey by the disability charity Scope, two out of three people feel uncomfortable talking to a disabled person. So they have launched a campaign to help people to end this perpetual awkward stand-off.

The awkwardness goes both ways though, rest assured.

My tablet computer speaks my words in a synthetic voice but I have to write those words first. And because people see me writing, people think I'm also deaf for some reason - I'm not. You don't have to write everything that you want to say to me on a piece of paper, I can understand you perfectly.

Of course, I will wait while you write down what you want to say to me, as, by then, I'll feel awkward too and I'm not going to make the situation worse by explaining things. I'll take the easy way out and let you continue, partly because I'm too polite, and partly because I can't be bothered to explain it... again. (Often I can't even read your writing but that's another matter).

You're not too sure what's up with me either, or how to refer to me, are you? Awkward. Often this comes from people you'd expect might know a thing or two: a doctor once kept calling me physically challenged. I always thought that was a game on The Crystal Maze.

Please don't get me started on the taxi driver who opened a conversation by asking me if I was as clever as Hawking! Of course, I'm not. The only thing I know about the universe is that He-Man is the master of it.

Contrary to popular belief, disabled people don't all know each other and we don't all live on Disabled Avenue (which is just behind Pigeon Street) either.

The survey by Scope also suggests that 43% of people don't know anyone who is disabled. Either those people are blind (which would be very ironic) or they don't understand disability that well. We're not all in wheelchairs. Some disabilities are more visible than others.

Only 17% of people are born with their disabilities. The rest I call the not-yet-disabled, because being able-bodied is not a lifelong certainty, I'm afraid. Now that's certainly awkward.

It's easy to joke about this awkwardness but it has serious consequences as well.

I'm fairly sure I've been overlooked for jobs because potential employers couldn't see past my disability. Of course, if they had asked me, I could have explained how I work and put their minds at rest. They probably felt too awkward to ask but, until that changes, disabled people will always be fighting a losing battle - a particular problem with the benefits system in disarray as it is.

When I started in stand-up comedy, I didn't do it to get people talking about disability more openly. But I'm fairly sure it has helped bridge the gap between disabled people and the not-yet-disabled people. I like to think I'm showing that disability is nothing to be scared of. It's something which can be joked about to help put people at ease.

So, feel free to be curious and ask questions, it's the only way we can all become less awkward.

Just don't write your questions on a piece of paper.

Lee Ridley, aka Lost Voice Guy, is performing his one-man show at this year's Edinburgh Fringe at The Assembly Rooms from 1-24 August at 17:00 BST.

Deleted
    Nope. 10ch

Deleted
    Why would it make me feel awkward?

He has a disability? Since when is that awkward unless you are a Hillbilly.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Didn't click article (so I didn't watch any videos) but ya. It is a little awkward talking to disabled people. Usually I'm informal to everyone, but around handicapped I feel like I have to be formal and speak politely. I think it's the way my Mom raised me, to be honest.

Which is good, being polite is great, but of course it only adds to the tension that is the awkwardness.

Deleted
    Nope, not awkward at all.

Could you elaborate? What about it is supposed to make us feel awkward? The statistics he was throwing out? Introspection about how we treat disabled people?

Personally I would like to see his stand up. It was honest and snarky, and I think I'd get some laughs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really, but I can understand the "not knowing where to look" thing. If I'm standing opposite a disabled person, let's say someone who's lost both legs, my curiosity often gets the best of me and I want to look, simply because it's unusual and fascinating in a weird way. Problem is, you never know if the person feel comfortable with people looking or not, it's very individual, so you end up awkwardly trying to look without them noticing. It's just an initial reaction though, I had a friend in school who had a fake leg, and I completely forgot about it after the initial surprise and round of questions.

I don't think I'm alone in that :P It doesn't mean I'll treat them differently, it's just curiosity.

I'm not around disabled people a lot so I'm usually afraid as to how I'm suppose to act around them. Polite is a given and I know they'd rather I not treat them insanely different, but for those wheelchair-bound, I feel like I need to help them but that makes me feel like I'm patronizing them so I feel even worse... of course it doesn't help I'm already socially awkward.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    It is actually funny, but my friend is in a similar situation. She is in a wheelchair from a disability and does "roll-up" comedy. She is quite funny too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

You guys are telling me that if you're somewhere and you strike up a conversation with someone, and instead of actually speaking, they start using a tablet and some Steven Hawking microphone, its not gonna be awkward at all?

Sorry, I don't buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    You guys are telling me that if you're somewhere and you strike up a conversation with someone, and instead of actually speaking, they start using a tablet and some Steven Hawking microphone, its not gonna be awkward at all?

Sorry, I don't buy that.
    I work with disabled (mentally/developmentally) people. I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

Sorry, I don't buy that.
    I might laugh depending on how the computer voice sounds...used to laugh at my old built-in Windows text-to-speech voices.

OP, no, it doesn't make me feel awkward. Disabled people are people too. Treat them as such and you'll get used to doing it naturally.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

loved his special forces joke. fantastic, just fantastic.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Deleted
    awkward ? no not really, but I don't like them either, because I think I have to treat them extra well

I can't say i'd feel awkward; but I do find it disconcerting that people are increasingly trying to dictate reaction in this way. If someone feels awkward in the company of someone, for whatever reason, then I don't see much of an issue with it. It's certainly not 'discrimination' of any kind, because they can't help how they feel or react; 'feeling awkward' is a long way away from subjecting someone to scorn/disdain/etc.

As an introvert, I personally can't stand people who are either 'extroverted' or 'flamboyant', for example; regardless of what their sex/race/state of health might be. People can't help their personality/personality traits any more than they can help having a disability/etc; but I am not going to feign being 'comfortable' in their company, just because it's somehow deemed 'intolerant' or something to that effect, to feel/seem/act otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worked in customer service on and off for about 12 years. I don't get even remotely awkward. On the contrary, nothing seems to please people with disabilities more than someone who is capable of talking to them as a normal adult. Far too often I see people talk to disabled persons as though they are slow, hard of hearing, or like they are young children.
    Keep in mind, I want to point out, there is a big difference between "awkward" and "startled". I have been caught off guard when I've greeted someone, and they've put their voice box to their throat to talk. But as with anything else. You stare at them blankly for about 1 second, then proceed to talk to them as normal once your brain processes what it has seen and heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I can't say i'd feel awkward; but I do find it disconcerting that people are increasingly trying to dictate reaction in this way. If someone feels awkward in the company of someone, for whatever reason, then I don't see much of an issue with it. It's certainly not 'discrimination' of any kind, because they can't help how they feel or react; 'feeling awkward' is a long way away from subjecting someone to scorn/disdain/etc.

As an introvert, I personally can't stand people who are either 'extroverted' or 'flamboyant', for example; regardless of what their sex/race/state of health might be. People can't help their personality/personality traits any more than they can help having a disability/etc; but I am not going to feign being 'comfortable' in their company, just because it's somehow deemed 'intolerant' or something to that effect, to feel/seem/act otherwise.
    I think you are reading too much into it. Lee Ridley and Scope aren't saying it's wrong to to feel awkward. They are saying that a lot of awkward feelings and situations arise because most people don't interact (or don't think they interact) with people who have disabilities, or have an understanding about those disabilities in general. Scope, and Lee in particular wants to try to bridge that gap with humor and information.

The only way to balance the scale of awkward is to have him show you his penis.
    You know, cause that prob is the only thing he is not prepped to deal with in public.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.