Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Worked for 5 years with developmentally disabled adults. Nope.

I do like the cut of his jib though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't find it awkward that he was disabled, but I did find his routine awkward.

If he's going to try that same material in London then he'd better have a thick skin, as we're not as forgiving a crowd as Geordies seem to be - those jokes were ancient.

I think its hard to feel awkward over the internet. Feeling awkward is very personal emotion. I do understand his premise though. Many people act very awkward around people with severe disabilities.

I'd probably feel awkward if I were actually attending a comedy event based entirely around disabilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it depends on the disability. I have a few friends with autism, and while I do honestly feel a little bit awkward with them, I still spend time with them because they're cool.

What really makes me feel awkward is physical deformities. I still remember years ago, I approached this Walmart employee from behind to ask for help with something, he turned around and there was something wrong with his eye. I don't really know what it was called, but his one eye socket was about 3 times bigger than it needed it be and you could see all the veins and blood and whatnot as if someone had pulled his eyelid down and stuck it there with duct tape or something. I mean I talked to him and he helped me out just fine, but I was really startled and couldn't help from staring. Luckily I was staring at his eyes which is where you're supposed to look when having a conversation with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I guess it depends on the disability. I have a few friends with autism, and while I do honestly feel a little bit awkward with them, I still spend time with them because they're cool.

What really makes me feel awkward is physical deformities. I still remember years ago, I approached this Walmart employee from behind to ask for help with something, he turned around and there was something wrong with his eye. I don't really know what it was called, but his one eye socket was about 3 times bigger than it needed it be and you could see all the veins and blood and whatnot as if someone had pulled his eyelid down and stuck it there with duct tape or something. I mean I talked to him and he helped me out just fine, but I was really startled and couldn't help from staring. Luckily I was staring at his eyes which is where you're supposed to look when having a conversation with someone.
    ^ What this guy said mostly.

Awkwardness ensues when your expectations become over-ridden by the unexpected. Anybody who claims they never find *something very general* awkward is being dishonest. Because as soon as your expectations fail you, you will feel awkward. That's just the way we're programmed.

I mean, if you see somebody in a wheel chair struggling to get through a door, your natural instinct is to probably go help them. But what if you go grab that door to help them through, and then some film director is suddenly all like "CUT!, we're trying to film a movie kid!" You'd feel awkward because the situation will have betrayed your expectations.

So wholesale awkwardness towards the disabled is the result of a lack of education and exposure.

Deleted
    Does not make me feel awkward, at least no more than any other comedian who goes for shock tactics rather than actual humor.

He's joking about he's own disability, that doesn't make me feel awkward.
    Disabled people who look like they need help makes me feel more awkward.
    mmo-champion has become full of trolls and bad admins.