Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    There is nothing "normal" people like you and me can do. Hence I wish people would stop spreading false information.
    I'm glad you agree that you shouldn't be posting in this thread then. No need to spread false information. Especially one as ignorant as the ones you've spewed.

1 Volcanic eruption can fart away every effort we did to reduce Co2 emission in the last 20 years. If we truely want to stop global warming then the only option is to either stop all animals from farting (no joke) or to find a way to prevent volcanic eruptions.
    Farting: methane lives in the atmosphere for about 10 years. Carbon dioxide has a lifetime of anywhere from 3 to 9 times that. So no, we don't need to stop animal farts. This is misdirection.

Volcanoes: Volcano emissions are dwarfed by human emissions. Find me numbers to support your claim, although it might prove difficult since the volcano thing is a made up argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    We need renewable energy anyways. Our current favorites aren't going to last forever.
    Nah, but we've got hundreds of years of energy still available even without renewables. The issue is their effect on the environment, not their availability.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It does make some people leave their cars at home. And we don't already do what I said, as there's huge swathes of population that don't support legislation or legislators that promote a transition to less CO2 intensive transportation/industry, etc.
    That's pretty naïve. But I hope you are right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ofc we have an effect, it's just so small it's nothing to worry about. That said, I'm glad the idiots who spread global warming panic on a large scale at least make something good happen.

It's one of the few things I let pass by me as it can only help to give us a "better" world.
    And I debunked this already, but you just ignored it. As someone said, it's like tribalism, people would rather err on the side of being wrong than go against the "it's a hoax" tribal mentality.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure we will destroy ourselves by way of war or famine before ice or water ever becomes an issue for us.

The worst outcome is that we spent trillions of dollars for nothing, and delayed other important improvements to the world.
    I guess the worst possible outcomes that could be envisioned would be even worse, right? That in a well intentioned move towards cutting GHGs, we inadvertently cause energy crises in poor areas of the world, which inevitably results in worsened living conditions and potentially destabilization that leads to wars.

Of course, that sort of destabilization could occur as a result of climate change too. The thing for me is acknowledging that it's not clear what the best policy approach is at present and that trying to do better could have negative results.
    I personally think that trillions of dollars wouldn't be wasted, because even if anthropogenic climate change were nonsense, we'd probably learn a lot of awesome technologies along the way, but it's important to understand where your opponents are coming from, and it's not a place of "well if we treat global warming as important and it turns out not to be true, we lose nothing."
    Yeah, it seems obvious to me that there are some initiatives that could be undertaken that have little but upside. Improved battery technology, solar efficiency, and so on.

I'm definitely a tree hugger when it comes to stuff like this, but this is pretty irresponsible, sensationalist journalism. It could have been titled "Sun Explosion Now Inevitable", a completely factual claim, but misleading entirely. This isn;t happening for centuries, so I honestly could give a fuck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Farting: methane lives in the atmosphere for about 10 years. Carbon dioxide has a lifetime of anywhere from 3 to 9 times that. So no, we don't need to stop animal farts. This is misdirection.

Volcanoes: Volcano emissions are dwarfed by human emissions. Find me numbers to support your claim, although it might prove difficult since the volcano thing is a made up argument.
    Way to take an obvious joke serious. >_>

Ofc we have an effect, it's just so small it's nothing to worry about. That said, I'm glad the idiots who spread global warming panic on a large scale at least make something good happen.

It's one of the few things I let pass by me as it can only help to give us a "better" world.
    And how do you know this? Because common sense and feelings? Science doesn't operate based on what outcomes you want or expect. I'm going to borrow and augment a line from one of Brian Greene's documentaries: There's nothing built into the laws of nature that says you have to be satisfied with it.

It certainly doesn't operate on unfounded intuitions like: "2% doesn't matter."

- - - Updated - - -

Way to take an obvious joke serious. >_>
    Dude, it's hard to tell. I frequent places like Townhall where they don't treat that as a joke.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/environme...cientists-warn

Bit of a large time frame, regardless make sure you sell any beachfront property you have while the time is right.
    "it is still several centuries off, and potentially up to 1,000 years away."

Oh yeah, better rush to sell your beachfront property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I guess the worst possible outcomes that could be envisioned would be even worse, right? That in a well intentioned move towards cutting GHGs, we inadvertently cause energy crises in poor areas of the world, which inevitably results in worsened living conditions and potentially destabilization that leads to wars.

Of course, that sort of destabilization could occur as a result of climate change too. The thing for me is acknowledging that it's not clear what the best policy approach is at present and that trying to do better could have negative results.
    True enough. Lots of new technologies can be extremely destabilizing or even dangerous. Imagine how a massive reduction in oil/gas demand would affect the economies of the middle east or Russia and how that could affect extremism and/or foreign policy.

Rising sea levels has always been inevitible. They've been rising for thousands of years as the current ice age (yes, we are still in an ice age) comes to an end.

Human involvement has likely accelerated the process, but to what degree is impossible to know.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    "it is still several centuries off, and potentially up to 1,000 years away."

Oh yeah, better rush to sell your beachfront property.
    Yea, this article is a bit funny. May as well say everyone needs to buy heaters because the heat death of the universe is coming.

Not that I'm against saving energy, and using clean energy and resources, but let's be honest. How long has man been producing these emissions and things that are causing changes globally. 150 years? Less?

So, does it make sense that in that timeframe, we've caused this planet which is millions-of-years old, to decay that quickly?

Not really.

That being said, I am a supporter of clean energy and low emissions. It's one reason why my car is a clean-diesel. I live too far from work to be able to bike every day, and sometimes it's simply more convenient. I just want to make sure I understand the belief that technologies that have only recently existed are the cause for the planets demise.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Rising sea levels has always been inevitible. They've been rising for thousands of years as the current ice age (yes, we are still in an ice age) comes to an end.

Human involvement has likely accelerated the process, but to what degree is impossible to know.
    Why is it impossible to know? You can make measurements, use established physical principles and analysis methods and put estimates on it.

Seriously, why do people have faith that science will inevitably find answers to question X unless question X is in the climate change category. It's like we're smart enough to reconstruct universe evolution a short period after inflation but too stoopid to figure out 1 planet. Doesn't make sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any way to freeze new polar caps? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    Just ask Santa for a giant Sno-Cone machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Why is it impossible to know? You can make measurements, use established physical principles and analysis methods and put estimates on it.
    You can't differentiate between the effects of potential man-made causes and natural causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    It seems to me a good solution would be to somehow destroy some portion of water in the world. We just have to much of it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Not that I'm against saving energy, and using clean energy and resources, but let's be honest. How long has man been producing these emissions and things that are causing changes globally. 150 years? Less?

So, does it make sense that in that timeframe, we've caused this planet which is millions-of-years old, to decay that quickly?
    Global warming aside... It is entirely possible the human contribution has been a catalyst for the natural processes.