Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Just try to imagine the damage if a hurricane with the power of Andrew or Katrina hit NYC. Whatever dollar amount popped into your head, whatever you think the death toll could be, it's higher.
    I'm used to big numbers. Trillion and million were the orders of magnitude that popped into my mind, respectively. Bigger?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'm used to big numbers. Trillion and million were the orders of magnitude that popped into my mind, respectively. Bigger?
    Trillion probably sounds realistic. The damage to NYC, and the stock markets especially, if a huge hurricane hit the city and the levies and seawalls failed there as they have failed so spectacularly numerous times in the southern US, would be absolutely catastrophic. Imagine the headline 'Wall Street underwater.'

As for death toll... it's just a scary, scary thought. NYC is tons of people packed into a fairly dense space, and so many of them are homeless and/or in VERY old buildings. Evacuating the city would be a nightmare, too.

And the truth is, there really is not very much we can do to push back ocean currents that have been moving, not this late into the game. That isn't to say it isn't strictly speaking, technologically feasible for us to forcefully alter the ocean currents, but doing so could have incredibly profound unforeseen consequences... perhaps even worse consequences than simply figuring out how to deal with hurricanes hitting the New England coast.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2014-05-15 at 07:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most of the largest cities in the world are located on the coast. It's simply astounding that people are like "Oh, sea level is only going to be submerging these cities in 100 years? Not my problem!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Most of the largest cities in the world are located on the coast. It's simply astounding that people are like "Oh, sea level is only going to be submerging these cities in 100 years? Not my problem!"
    Hell, even if it was 200, 300, fuck it, 500 years from now, it would still be a very serious problem. Many of our world's largest cities have thousands of years' worth of history.

Hell, even if it was 200, 300, fuck it, 500 years from now, it would still be a very serious problem. Many of our world's largest cities have thousands of years' worth of history.
    It's the "I'm an asshole" argument at work.

Humanity is going through the most important and most dangerous transition in all of history right now. We either become a globally conscious species or we die. Some assholes just want to have a good lifestyle right now. The rest of us are like... uhhh... I kind of want humanity to succeed in some number of generations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Does a 13 foot sea level rise happen to drown London? 0o
    not all of it, but will make getting the Northern Line even more of a ball ache.

also, not seen anyone mention population yet. I read that by 2050 there will be an extra 2 or 3 billion people sharing this one little rock in space. they'll need places to live - places we'll have to reclaim from nature.
    Last edited by mmocf106da70f8; 2014-05-15 at 07:38 PM.

"4 meter rise in sea level inevitable"

oh shit. My girlfriend lives next to the coast D:! oh god oh god

"But the researchers said that even though such a rise could not be stopped, it is still several centuries off, and potentially up to 1,000 years away."

oh

*closes thread*

Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    "4 meter rise in sea level inevitable"

oh shit. My girlfriend lives next to the coast D:! oh god oh god

"But the researchers said that even though such a rise could not be stopped, it is still several centuries off, and potentially up to 1,000 years away."

oh

*closes thread*
    I like how we literally just had a discussion a couple posts up about how the lack of forward thinking people on this planet will doom our species.

I like how we literally just had a discussion a couple posts up about how the lack of forward thinking people on this planet will doom our species.
    Who cares I'll be dead in 1000 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Who cares I'll be dead in 1000 years.
    That's the spirit! Screw future generations, I derive pleasure from pointlessly denying science and opposing empirical evidence.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

We need to hurry up and invent immortality just so that people can live to see how wrong they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the spirit! Screw future generations, I derive pleasure from pointlessly denying science and opposing empirical evidence.
    Exactly. Those asshats who drove their Hummers and 18 wheelers across the Bering Sea land bridge 50,000 years ago didn't care either. Now you have to take a boat from the Aleutians to Russia. If they had been responsible way back then, the Earth today would be exactly the same as it was then.

I'm adding "Who cares I'll be dead in 1000 years" as one of the symptoms of what I call John Galt Syndrome.

I like the fact that that's few centuries away or up to 1000 years

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    How can we really prove it's caused by humans and not a natural phenomenon?
    it is already proved...oceans produce the 99,8% of the CO2... humans produce only the 0,2%. But after the fall of the communism, we had to invest a new anti-capitalist system(I am not fan of capitalist of course, just saying...).
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    it is already proved...oceans produce the 99,8% of the CO2... humans produce only the 0,2%. But after the fall of the communism, we had to invest a new anti-capitalist system(I am not fan of capitalist of course, just saying...).
    Why is conspiracy shit so popular?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Why is conspiracy shit so popular?
    Two big reasons that I can think of. One is Dunning-Kruger - people that are fucking stupid are incapable of identifying just how fucking stupid they are. The other is tribalism. Clever people that have settled on the Republican tribe are capable of great mental gymnastics on this topic.

I'm sure earth will be fucked 100 times over before we have to worry about this.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I'm sure earth will be fucked 100 times over before we have to worry about this.
    Fatalism, also fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    We need to hurry up and invent immortality just so that people can live to see how wrong they are.
    You don't know how right you are, and such an invention would be redundant anyway.

Concerning the article, does it say anywhere when the collapse started? Like in the last 50 years or so?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer