Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it illegal to psychologically torment prisoners behind bars as a prison guard?

Hi guys I need help for a document and debate I am having with someone else. In a prison, if you are a guard regularly maintaining the security and peace of those behind their bars, is it illegal or against the rules to sit on the opposite side of a cell and repeatedly torment the prisoner behind bars through taunts, sneers, or other unconventional methods? As long as you do not physically get involved with the prisoner.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Hi guys I need help for a document and debate I am having with someone else. In a prison, if you are a guard regularly maintaining the security and peace of those behind their bars, is it illegal or against the rules to sit on the opposite side of a cell and repeatedly torment the prisoner behind bars through taunts, sneers, or other unconventional methods? As long as you do not physically get involved with the prisoner.
    Wouldn't that be harassment? Which I'm pretty sure is a no-no.

Yes. It is. In civilized countries. Have I fulfilled the 'ten character'-requirement yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Wouldn't that be harassment? Which I'm pretty sure is a no-no.
    Can the prisoners complain? And if they did, would it even be taken into account given their place?

Can the prisoners complain? And if they did, would it even be taken into account given their place?
    Yes. They can. In civilized countries.

Yes, they can lodge complaints against abuse by prison guards. Unfortunately, many of those complaints are ignored, but formal investigations into the physical or psychological/emotional abuse of prisoners do occur. Guards are not empowered with the right to abuse prison inmates in any way, shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Yes. They can. In civilized countries.
    This is pretty unrelated, but how come if this is the case, prison rapes/fights are not really taken into serious account?

How're you doing today, Salandrin? It's warm out this week, isn't it? Pretty damn warm. This is going to be a hot summer, I bet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guards are often exposed to the prisoners. It wouldn't make sense for them to do that sort of thing.

This is pretty unrelated, but how come if this is the case, prison rapes/fights are not really taken into serious account?
    They are not always reported, or investigated. Just as sexual harassment/rape or physical abuse isn't reported at times, or isn't investigated, outside of prison.

Civilized countries. It requires 'civilized countries.'
    If you're from a country that has a culture that perceives prison violence as part of the punishment, then that country is decidedly uncivilized when it comes to punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They are not always reported, or investigated. Just as sexual harassment/rape or physical abuse isn't reported at times, or isn't investigated, outside of prison.
    Then wouldn't the believability of prison guard abuse reports be far less likely to be taken seriously unless the guard literally broke the minds of his victims? I can see people getting away with it easily and at their leisure.

Then wouldn't the believability of prison guard abuse reports be far less likely to be taken seriously unless the guard literally broke the minds of his victims? I can see people getting away with it easily and at their leisure.
    As stated, there are not always investigations. So yes, psychological abuse happens. No, it's not always reported or investigated (if it is reported). Yes, sometimes investigations into reports of abuse are half assed or incomplete. Yes, it is illegal. I'm not sure what else you're looking for here...

As someone who has been in prison, I can tell you at least from my experience that some do but they are a minority. Most are very nice and passive if there's no perceived trouble or they are not antagonized, there are also those that act like domineering assholes at the beginning of their shifts to establish dominance but then relax progressively later. As said before, very few do it for sadistic pleasure.

They're very serious, despite what pop culture would make out. The state can be sued for anything like that that happens to prisoners in their custody. The state has a duty of care to prisoners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I've heard horrible stories of racist prison guards sometimes provoking inmates, resulting in the inmates getting punished and potentially longer prison times.

A favorite: "You the chump in the box, not me. I'm going home tonight, where you gonna be?" Most of them ask for it. Inmates just don't sit there and remain quiet 24/7. A vast majority are the scum of the earth and deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomken View Post
    Everytime I try to Que for LFR, the game completely crashes. WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    It's probably trying to save you a headache.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    How're you doing today, Salandrin? It's warm out this week, isn't it? Pretty damn warm. This is going to be a hot summer, I bet.
    The fuck is this? haha
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by tanktank View Post
    A favorite: "You the chump in the box, not me. I'm going home tonight, where you gonna be." Most of them ask for it. Inmates just don't sit there and remain quiet 24/7. A vast majority are the scum of the earth and deserve it.
    No, they don't. They're getting the punishment they "deserve", as dictated by the legal system. I've yet to see a ruling that involved part of the sentence being psychological abuse. Because we all know that does wonders to work on rehabilitating prisoners and reduce the recidivism rate.

They may have committed some terrible crimes, but they're still human beings.

10 years as a correctional officer. "Reduce the recidivism rate" LAWL 70% of those that ran through the state I worked in were 2-3 time offenders. Had several get out, get on the bus and then rob the store at the next stop. There was some decent inmates, and then there wasn't. Until you have had feces/urine and spit thrown on you, at you, stand behind that wall of "they're still human beings." I guess working at a maximum security prison has skewed my views. I call 'em like I see 'em and still do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomken View Post
    Everytime I try to Que for LFR, the game completely crashes. WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    It's probably trying to save you a headache.