Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    No, I said the US ones are more family orientated, and you also haven't proved that we have a "host of racist issues going about".

I can only really talk for Arsenal specifically, and England in general, as they are the games I attend/attended, and there aren't any Nazis.

The 80s are over.
    There's a distinct difference going on with Nazis in Europe vs the USA..
    A friend of mine is a cop, specialized in all matters of football supporters.
    From there..... Yes, there are Nazi recruiters trying to infiltrate the scenes. But why? Nazis have it quite more difficult in Europe than they have in the US.
    In the US they can openly recruit. The first amendment protects them from consequences regarding the hatred they spilling around.
    And yet still..... The racism in our European stadiums is to be treated with caution. Most of these emotions are fueled by pure club rivalry. It certainly is not okay, and should not happen. But it is also exaggerated. Factually it doesn't make any sense anyway. I am willing to claim, that there is not one professional football club that does not have foreign players or players of another color than the natives. At least the teams in the various age groups behind the pro roster have them.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    UEFA isn't doing enough in that case. They need to let Italians and the Italian federation know what this is unacceptable. This is occurring way too often.
    UEFA being an incompetent organisation isn't something that many football fans in Europe would argue against.

10+ Year Old Account
    UEFA being an incompetent organisation isn't something that many football fans in Europe would argue against.
    Old men, out of touch with the sport. Out of touch with the fans.

Why can't we call European Football by its proper American name?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause we Europeans, and the rest of the World recognize only one sport as Football, and that's the one we're talking about....
    You Americans need to rename your sport properly into Eggball instead

Deleted
    hmm bananas, I love bananas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Old men, out of touch with the sport. Out of touch with the fans.
    They're in touch with their bank managers though - this is an organisation that fined Man City £50m for being too rich!

To be fair to Platini, he actually has a romantic view of the game, and I agree with his vision of how the game should be, it's just that his vision is an unrealistic fantasy and gets so watered down by political compromise that it becomes useless in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Cause we Europeans, and the rest of the World recognize only one sport as Football, and that's the one we're talking about....
    You Americans need to rename your sport properly into Eggball instead
    Right. Like Americans would use literal descriptions as names for their sports (not counting base ball or basket ball since those counter the point I'm trying to make): Clearly football is a sport where you almost never touch the ball with your foot, and soccer is one where you never touch the ball with your hands. It's about time you jumped aboard the logic train, Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Right. Like Americans would use literal descriptions as names for their sports (not counting base ball or basket ball since those counter the point I'm trying to make): Clearly football is a sport where you almost never touch the ball with your foot, and soccer is one where you never touch the ball with your hands. It's about time you jumped aboard the logic train, Europe.
    The proper British name, one of the first British names, for the sport we now call football, was soccer. It's not exactly an American thing. Americans calling football soccer = Americans using the original British word for the sport. There are multiple words that the British have stopped using that Americans still use. It's not too far off from how québécois and metropolitan French has formed. Québécois holding onto a few older words and terms that metropolitan French no longer uses.

Now... The reason we call it football (American football) is because of the origin. There weren't any set rules until the late 1800s. Most of the early football games were mostly close to soccer. Perhaps some even like Irish soccer. Anyway in the late 1800s Harvard and others finally agreed on set rules and those rules were heavily influenced by rugby.
    Last edited by Themius; 2014-05-14 at 03:38 AM.

So weird! I honestly thought that thousands of people would change one of their core beliefs overnight and stop be racist because it's frowned upon at soccer games! I just don't understand it and it's so very very surprising to me...I always thought racism was just something that effected people for a few days, maybe a week or two, and was easily just pushed out of their mind in a snap forever. Just give it a few more weeks, I'm sure something as minor as racist beliefs will be gone quick, as many seem to expect to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The proper British name, one of the first British names, for the sport we now call football, was soccer. It's not exactly an American thing. Americans calling football soccer = Americans using the original British word for the sport. There are multiple words that the British have stopped using that Americans still use. It's not too far off from how québécois and metropolitan French has formed. Québécois holding onto a few older words and terms that metropolitan French no longer uses.

Now... The reason we call it football (American football) is because of the origin. There weren't any set rules until the late 1800s. Most of the early football games were mostly close to soccer. Perhaps some even like Irish soccer. Anyway in the late 1800s Harvard and others finally agreed on set rules and those rules were heavily influenced by rugby.
    The original English name for football was football, it was later called Association Football to differentiate it from Rugby Football, and that name was used due to the laws being written by the Football Association (the English governing body who are still called that) - it's should have been Football Association's Football, but for obvious reasons nobody used that.

The name Soccer was taken from the word Association later on, and was always a nickname. Although its official name is simply Football, it isn't incorrect to call it Soccer in England, but it is a nickname that went out of favour decades ago, though I still remember it being used on English football annuals and comics from when I was a kid.

I think the issue came about when American Football came to be wider known (late 70s/early 80s? maybe later) and the Yanks insisted on calling that just Football, we knew it as Gridiron (not sure on that, as it may be later, but I seem to recall that from my youth). We were a bit pissed off that a variant of Rugby tried to insist a nickname (Soccer) was the official name and that their game was Football, even though our game was older and was more widespread.

tl;dr Nobody likes a Johnny-come-lately who insists that you use your nickname.

blah blah
    That's a lot of big confusing words just to say your continent is decrepit and is unable to get with the times, man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Pretty much. Idiots are still racist, don't be an idiot too by acting surprised.
    where did he act all surprised ??