Poll: Should I donate my blood?

Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

I am being pressured to donate blood. Help!

My university is having a blood-drive tomorrow during the lunch break and the idea is to get as much blood in the bank as possible. There's a little competition to get the most blood happening with another university in a nearby city. There's also a bonus if people sign up on the donor list but that's another story.

Even my friends who are scared of needles are going to be donating blood yet I don't particularly like I should have my blood taken from me. I realise that it's helping someone else potentially, however, I don't want to give my blood. Similarly I'm strongly against the idea of having my body harvested once I die, simply because I want to be intact when I'm in the grave.

I'm not sure if I should say something now or just avoid the whole thing completely but I feel like I should have the right to refuse. Am I being selfish or what?
    Last edited by Shinra1; 2014-05-13 at 10:19 AM.

Why do you always make topics like this?

First there was one of you slagging off on an old woman for daring to ask for a seat from your Holyness.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't feel like doing it, then just don't. Donating blood is not a decision someone else should be making for you.

You have the right to refuse so refuse. No one can force you.
    How did he die ?

His death was caused by pneumonia induced by daggers to the chest.Repeatedly.

Deleted
    Its not selfish as long as you refuse all blood transfusions and organ transplants you may ever need.

Same goes to anybody that does not wish to donate blood / organs - if you are not on the donor list, you should not be allowed to receive them.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    Its not selfish as long as you refuse all blood transfusions and organ transplants you may ever need.

Same goes to anybody that does not wish to donate blood / organs - if you are not on the donor list, you should not be allowed to receive them.
    I wouldn't refuse life-saving procedures including organ donations and blood transfusions, it might be selfish but I just don't want to die either. Would they refuse me organs if I wasn't on the donor list?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcharm View Post
    You have the right to refuse so refuse. No one can force you.
    The thing is my image will be harmed if I come across selfish? Will people judge me?

I'd say you're pretty selfish, yes. You barely even feel the needle, it literally is just you sitting in a chair and getting a tiny bandaid on your arm once it's over. Just look at it this way, if you get in an accident tomorrow and you lose alot of blood, wouldn't you like to be saved? Since it requires almost NO effort whatsoever on your part and it potentially saves someones life (like someone elses blood could potentially save yours) I don't see why you wouldn't do it.

At the end of the day it's your choice however. If you don't wanna do it, don't do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    The thing is my image will be harmed if I come across selfish? Will people judge me?
    If they think its selfish and that you should donate, i can imagine they will judge you for it even if they wont say it right in your face. I do not know these people though so just guessing here.

I wouldn't refuse life-saving procedures including organ donations and blood transfusions, it might be selfish but I just don't want to die either. Would they refuse me organs if I wasn't on the donor list?
    They should.

My university is having a blood-drive tomorrow during the lunch break and the idea is to get as much blood in the bank as possible. There's a little competition to get the most blood happening with another university in a nearby city. There's also a bonus if people sign up on the donor list but that's another story.

Even my friends who are scared of needles are going to be donating blood yet I don't particularly like I should have my blood taken from me. I realise that it's helping someone else potentially, however, I don't want to give my blood. Similarly I'm strongly against the idea of having my body harvested once I die, simply because I want to be intact when I'm in the grave.

I'm not sure if I should say something now or just avoid the whole thing completely but I feel like I should have the right to refuse. Am I being selfish or what?
    If you reeeeeally dont want to...
    Just tell them (the ones taking your blood) you had a sinus infection and have been on penicillin until 3 days ago.

Anyway - dont be afraid about your body being intact. You make new blood all the time. I can understand you dont want to donate a kidney, but your blood "grows" back so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post

You're so totally right. Those selfish bastards with their transmutable diseases should just die. Oh, lets not forget those homosexual deviants if their organs fail or they need blood they should just die. Also those selfish jerks and their extreme phobias about needles/medical procedures should just croak to. The whole lot of them are selfish and deserve nothing.

Deleted
    Looking at your started thread list, you're the type of person that always tries to make other people angry and fight over stupid stuff that even you don't believe in probably. You'd fit in perfectly with politicians in my country. Fuck you

Would they refuse me organs if I wasn't on the donor list?
    No......

Grow some balls and learn to say no. If your enough of a 'sheep' to bow down to peer pressure over something your 100% against then you sir need to grow a backbone.

Personally Id be happy to give my blood if they would let me. My wife does every chance she can, its a noble cause. Make a decision and be man enough to stand by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    If you reeeeeally dont want to...
    Just tell them (the ones taking your blood) you had a sinus infection and have been on penicillin until 3 days ago.

Anyway - dont be afraid about your body being intact. You make new blood all the time. I can understand you dont want to donate a kidney, but your blood "grows" back so to speak.
    The body intact thing was in response to signing up to the donor list. The main reason I don't want to give blood is because I don't really care and I don't want my blood being taken from me.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    They should.
    Surely just my blood and my organs shouldn't affect the balance?

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    If they think its selfish and that you should donate, i can imagine they will judge you for it even if they wont say it right in your face. I do not know these people though so just guessing here.
    That's what I'm annoyed with I feel like I'm being guilted into the whole thing which makes me wonder how many people are genuinely doing it to help people rather than being seen. I can imagine the facebook and instagram updates, it's just so cringe tbh

Deleted
    If you don't want to, don't do it.
    If you fear that your reputation is going to be damaged, stay at home and pretend to be ill. It's that simple.

It is your blood, and your body. So it's entirely yours to decide.

Sounds like a religious topic. You won't need shit when you're dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Just donate. Who cares what people's reasons for helping are?

I realise that it's pretty cringe but if it's going to help someone... what's the problem? Most charity is done for selfish reasons - so people feel good about themselves. Unfortunately, most charity is pretty misdirected and does more harm than good (for example, when it comes to things like buying fairtrade food and coffee etc) but it lets white people feel good about themselves so they do it. The only difference is that there is literally no bad use for blood. You can give it without harming yourself, and it helps people save lives etc, so it's worth it.

It's your blood, and it's your decision to donate it or keep it. You aren't obligated to help strangers, especially in such an indirect way. They'd never know. I don't have a problem with people who do it, but it's extremely petty when they act like you're selfish if you don't. That's ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Belive it or not...but some countrys sell your donated blood:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11038849 (not the best source tho)

The richer the guy, the higher chance of survival.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

You are being selfish, that said, it's is your decision, not anyone else's. You either do it cos you think it's right or you don't. It's your body and it's entirely up to you what you choose to do with it.

On a side note, quite a few regular blood donors do it for very selfish reasons - there are benefits that come from being a registered blood donor

Not sure I like the "competition" aspect of the donation. This is a fairly serious matter, not everyone can or wants to participate for various reasons - from health issues to beliefs - turning it into something competitive is dangerous as it may pressure people that shouldn't really be doing it for health reason, potentially causing issues. Medical checks at events like that are practically non existent - not counting a doc or two that asses the ability of someone to donate blood just by looking at their smiling face. A rather irresponsible approach to the event. Too much marketing the uni rep, too little thought, from what you'd expect to be a bunch of people with at least some common sense.