10+ Year Old Account

brewmaster legendaries

im curious as to which meta gem, and a little down the road which cape, i should go for with the legendary questline as a monk tank. ive been told both, one person mentioning that the dps cape proc is buffed by vengeance thus making it superior for us, and the stats are very nice as well. but im curious what the community on here says about the matter since im about to that point in the questchain

Deleted
    doesn't the tank cloak give you a second life? how can anything top that

10+ Year Old Account
    thought it was kinda like cheat death for rogues more or less lol havnt looked much

Many people use both cloaks depending on the fight and some use both metas depending on the fight. If you're looking for a single answer it is definitely tank cloak, tank meta if whatever you're doing matters enough to you to bother asking the question instead of just guessing.

The default for meta used to be the dps one because the tank one was basically poorly designed and with a poor uptime. With a nerf to the dps meta for tanks and a huge buff to the tank meta, it is certainly the default choice. I at least never use the dps meta unless the fight is just a joke for your group. Randomly up or down tanking cds kind of suck, but the extremely high uptime of the proc basically make it worth it anyway.

The cloak is a little more complex. The same fights where the dps value of the cloak is highest (anytime there's useful stuff to cleave such as protectors, galakras, spoils, trash) the tanking value of the cloak's cheat death mechanic is the lowest (absorbing 1 killing blow is less valuable if there is a good chance it might absorb some tiny attack and you'd die anyway .1 seconds later).

If you reforge the expertise off your tanking cloak and gem agi/master or agi/crit, then reforge expertise onto your dps cloak and gem exp/mastery or exp/crit, you end up with almost the same expertise on them and can swap back and forth with minimal downside.
    Last edited by lairpie; 2014-05-13 at 10:55 PM.

I main a brewmaster monk and with the capes i usually change them just about every fight;

Immersius can use either,
    Protectors tank cloak,
    Norushen tank cloak,
    sha of pride tank cloak,
    Galakras dps cloak,
    Juggs tank cloak,
    Shamans depends on 3 tanking or 2 tanking,
    Nazgrim dps cloak,
    Malk tank cloak,
    Spoils dps cloak,
    thok tank cloak,
    blackfuse tank cloak,
    klaxxi dps cloak
    and Garrosh tank cloak.

These are also assuming youre doing Reg siege, if its heroic you may just wanna use the tank cloak on every Heroic fight, safe bet.

But this is what i do, let me know if this was helpful

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mat cauthon View Post
    im curious as to which meta gem, and a little down the road which cape, i should go for with the legendary questline as a monk tank. ive been told both, one person mentioning that the dps cape proc is buffed by vengeance thus making it superior for us, and the stats are very nice as well. but im curious what the community on here says about the matter since im about to that point in the questchain
    I currently Raid 14/14h as a brewmaster. I've done 10m and 25m. I have never used the tank cloak or have even seen it proc. It's really useless. If you are afraid of getting killed. Don't tank. The stats are way better and the dps is game breaking. As for meta. The crit meta is good dps but makes you take unreal damage if your confident in your healers or looking to parse sure but the tank meta is just op. The tank cloak in theory is a good idea but really if it procs something went wrong to get you there. Some may say herioc garrosh but really once your vengance capped you cant die anyway. I've never seen many uses for this cloak aside from healers sucking or progression solo tanking like malk solo tanking. Its an opinion but still one i value.. Blizzard may have thought it was good before buffing the metagem. If you don't remember the tank gem had a completely different proc then became op coming from PTR to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for all the advice, really my monk is a 3rd alt so im not likely to do heavy progression with him but what yall are saying about lines up with what i was thinking as far as the meta goes (although not having tanked much this xpac cept casually with my monk on and off i had no clue bout the tank meta issues originally or the changes to it). and as far as the cape goes i was thinking along the same lines as twixtor, if i get to the point where it will proc somethings wrong... kinda like i view cheat death on my rogue why i take elusiveness instead so odds are at this point ill get the tank meta and then the dps cape and when gold allows get the tank cape to use in situations when there is an issue, such as low heals, or gear not completely up to par.

thanks again for the advice and clarification guys!

If you are doing progression where the tank damage is at all a concern, you should be using the tank cloak. Being in danger of dying doesn't mean something's wrong, it means you're doing progression.

Fights this tier that have significant tank burst:
    Shamans
    Nazgrim
    Malk
    Thok
    Siegecrafter
    Paragons
    Garrosh

My cloak proc went off during our first H-Shamans kill. It absolutely went off during our first Malk kill, right at the end during the second bloodrage, which means we would have had a 2% wipe if I wasn't wearing it because he would have turned around and cleaved the whole rest of the raid and it would have been my fault.

Yeah, sure, use the dps cloak on spoils and Galakras and the other fights that are more about positioning or dps checks. Wear the damn tank cloak on tank and healer check fights, at least until it's farm content and you aren't in danger of dying anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconslicer View Post
    If you are doing progression where the tank damage is at all a concern, you should be using the tank cloak. Being in danger of dying doesn't mean something's wrong, it means you're doing progression.

Fights this tier that have significant tank burst:
    Shamans
    Nazgrim
    Malk
    Thok
    Siegecrafter
    Paragons
    Garrosh

My cloak proc went off during our first H-Shamans kill. It absolutely went off during our first Malk kill, right at the end during the second bloodrage, which means we would have had a 2% wipe if I wasn't wearing it because he would have turned around and cleaved the whole rest of the raid and it would have been my fault.

Yeah, sure, use the dps cloak on spoils and Galakras and the other fights that are more about positioning or dps checks. Wear the damn tank cloak on tank and healer check fights, at least until it's farm content and you aren't in danger of dying anymore.
    noted, although as i said its an alt most likely by the time it sees reg or heroic fights theyll be on far by my team just carrying my alt lol