Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Look bro, you need to stop playing CoD and watching movies. Russian SAMs are 100% accurate and nothing can stop them.
    /s
    I'm seriously just looking at the screen and blinking.

Seriously what the fuck do you say to people like him? Good grief.

Oh by the way, here is the first combat image of a US F-22 in Syria attacking a Hydro electric plant.

Yeah. Our jets transform into 50 foot tall warmachines. Disagree Ulmita? GOD STOP PLAYING CALL OF DUTY!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Silly Skroe Warmachine isn't that big, he's the same size as Ironman, NOW STOP PLAYING GUNDAM GOSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Read this carefully. It has a nice sum up and its in English: http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Grumble-Gargoyle.html

TL;DR: Nothing penetrates the perimeter of S-300. Best chances has a F-22. Euro-fighter, f15, typhoon etc are all getting shot down.
    If S-300 is combined with pantsir-S1 and TOR A/A systems they create basically a non penetrable A/A region aka FULL NO FLY ZONE FOR ALL PLANES. Note also that the article doesn't not include the recent (state of the art) L-BAND mobile Radars (anti F-22). Its gg if they want it

I highly doubt such infrastructure exists in Syria (other maybe than the Russian air base).
    <sigh> The article does not take actual SEAD into account. When it came out the USSR claimed the SA-6 was almost undefeatable. It only took Israel a couple days to render it largely ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Silly Skroe Warmachine isn't that big, he's the same size as Ironman, NOW STOP PLAYING GUNDAM GOSH
    Dude he has a chain gun, that makes him invincible. There is no armor in the earth that can stand up to War Machine's chain gun. None. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_lnq0HYBQE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Dude he has a chain gun, that makes him invincible. There is no armor in the earth that can stand up to War Machine's chain gun. None. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_lnq0HYBQE
    Did he just explode a tree with bullets..... also something I was just thinking about for the US, is it possible for Railguns to launch explosive rounds? I imagine if they are in a lead container there wouldn't be much of a premature explosion issue.
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did he just explode a tree with bullets..... also something I was just thinking about for the US, is it possible for Railguns to launch explosive rounds? I imagine if they are in a lead container there wouldn't be much of a premature explosion issue.
    No need for explosives, the kinetic energy is massive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which reminds me wasn't Ulmita talking about how Russian missiles can hit mach 5? How's Mach 7 for ya? http://www.wired.com/2014/04/electro...lgun-launcher/

Building on what Kellhound said, it would kind of be self defeating too. One of the primary reasons (there are several, but this is a big one) that the Navy has been so interested in rail guns is that it would allow warships so armed to convert their currently highly explosive magazine (where weapons are stored) with an inert one, that way there is a vastly reduced risk of crippling secondary explosions if ships suffer battle damage.

It'll be interesting to see the extent they are spread throughout the fleet when they become operational in 2021 or so. The Surface Warships the US is building now are the first ones ever to produce a surplus of electricity specifically for things like this. The navy has a vision of an "all electric fleet" by 2030 or so of warships that all produce a huge electrical surplus (side note: most warships continually operate at a deficit and have to turn functions off). So at first, it will be pretty piecemeal and only on the minority of ships that can support it.

If it is successful though, that is where things get interesting. The nearest analog of this is when Mark 41 Vertical Launch System was introduced in the 1980s. When that system was developed, any ship, even of the same class but different flight (production tranche) that DID NOT have VLS was quickly retired and for years now the Navy has had an all VLS fleet (for ships that perform that role).

It'll be very interesting to see if Railguns is so game changing as to demand retirement of ships not designed around them as happened with the VLS. It'll be interesting to see to what degree VLS and Railguns co-exist. Again, the other primary reason is that VLS missiles like SM-2 and SM-3 are fantastically expensive, whereas Railgun ammunition is incredible cheap. But similarly, VLS can already do things like shoot down satellites with a software change, and it can launch a lot more than just missiles as well, so really, who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a note, Jordan has officially announced their involvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't the Ford Class AC use only about half the energy it generates.

Which reminds me wasn't Ulmita talking about how Russian missiles can hit mach 5? How's Mach 7 for ya? http://www.wired.com/2014/04/electro...lgun-launcher/
    What's really interesting is that this and laser weapons (see link below) are something the US Navy has been working on tremendously for years to end what they call the "tyranny of the missile"... how one $200,000 missile could destroy a $6.5 billion supercarrier. They believe, with a good amount of reason to as well, rail guns and lasers in point defense roles at the very easy, could offer unparalleled protection of the surface fleet, well beyond the range of CIWS, at extremely economical costs. The Navy is moving quickly towards operational deployment past 2020.

But even more interesting is that the US has spend billions upon billions on this technology in the last decade (at an increasing pace at that), and Russia and China, even our allies, have spent next to nothing.

It is likely to be a repeat of AEGIS, when we had it, and no one else really had done anything like it, and that was a significant game changer that still is significant to this day, 40 years later. Development and deployment of AEGIS was a lot like this (and VLS) as well. There were a few trailblazing test ships, then fleetwide deployment. Non AEGIS ships simply did not last long in the fleet, once it was in production.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think of it this way, even a Nimitz Class CVN's reactors can supply 100% of the power to Tucson, AZ. They use diesel locomotive engines as back-up generators...

Yes. That is one of several reasons it used an all new reactor design (the other was cutting the number of maintenance staff down by 2/3rds or something). The intent of that is for potential use for railguns, laser weapons, battery powered drones, and anything else that MIGHT be developed between now and the 2070s. It has a lot of room to grow, which is a theme, you'll note, across many US military systems lately.

Fun fact: the last of the ten planned Fords will likely serve into the first decade of the 22nd century.

It's so sad that anything will be used by Team US to change the subject to the bigger dick competition again. I find the news of the bombings on IS disturbing, and it's laughable with regards to the UN resolution Obama wants to get through. The hypocrisy: "We don't want foreign combatants in war zones (i.e. Ukraine), but we send military advisers everywhere to stir up the wars, supply groups opposing governments we don't like with weapons and bomb the shit out of other countries."

-edit- Ultima, Putin has said earlier this week he is investigating what Russia can do against the threat of IS.
    Last edited by Whatsnew; 2014-09-23 at 07:34 AM.

Deleted
    Ok guys. I think the show is over. Ukraine is last day's news.
    Next country to be focused on and destroy in order to jab at Russia. ... Syria!

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsnew View Post
    It's so sad that anything will be used by Team US to change the subject to the bigger dick competition again. I find the news of the bombings on IS disturbing, and it's laughable with regards to the UN resolution Obama wants to get through. The hypocrisy: "We don't want foreign combatants in war zones (i.e. Ukraine), but we send military advisers everywhere to stir up the wars, supply groups opposing governments we don't like with weapons and bomb the shit out of other countries."

-edit- Ultima, Putin has said earlier this week he is investigating what Russia can do against the threat of IS.
    Bigger dick competition? What? Don't like being reminded what a fraction of our nation's power looks like? Or is it that we're engaging in combat operations with a host of allies, which is more than Russia can say?

Right now, as I type this, hundreds of American and allied aircraft are over Syria and Iraq right now. It's the largest air operation since the Invasion of Iraq in 2003. i'd be embarrassed too if my Air Force, like the Russian one, only had a 20-25% mission capable rate for it's aircraft. You can call this a dick measuring contest if you like. Fact is, the US can do it and Russia cannot.

Russian's talk a big game about their military might, but not in a hundred years could they do what the US just did on a random Tuesday morning in September.

Don't worry. Reports are this will be tapering off in the next few days, so we can get back to our regularly scheduled program of Russia continuing to debase itself in Ukraine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You know who the only people that hate dick measuring contests are? People wih small dicks. :>
    I think you mean women, but we'll have to guess that. We know your one-sided view of the world and in this you are again incorrect. Maybe start posting some relevant stuff, instead of the usual "RUSSIA AAAAARRGHH" comments like yesterday on that video.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You know who the only people that hate dick measuring contests are? People wih small dicks. :>
    You mean this?
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2014-09-23 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsnew View Post

He could get assad to agree to step down after a political agreement and end the civil war that allows IS to attract foreign fighters and seize weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Bigger dick competition? What? Don't like being reminded what a fraction of our nation's power looks like? Or is it that we're engaging in combat operations with a host of allies, which is more than Russia can say?

Right now, as I type this, hundreds of American and allied aircraft are over Syria and Iraq right now. It's the largest air operation since the Invasion of Iraq in 2003. i'd be embarrassed too if my Air Force, like the Russian one, only had a 20-25% mission capable rate for it's aircraft. You can call this a dick measuring contest if you like. Fact is, the US can do it and Russia cannot.

Russian's talk a big game about their military might, but not in a hundred years could they do what the US just did on a random Tuesday morning in September.

Don't worry. Reports are this will be tapering off in the next few days, so we can get back to our regularly scheduled program of Russia continuing to debase itself in Ukraine.
    You just lost any credibility with this post. You don't see that the WAY you talk about it is the bigger dick competition, not WHAT you talk about. But prove me wrong, in the last 100 pages almost any news about Ukraine is ignored by Team US. But as soon as it comes to waving dicks then all the usual posters show up. A lot of people have said it already and I repeat it: "US is not interested in Ukraine." So go post your warmongering stories in another thread, this is about Ukraine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    He could get assad to agree to step down after a political agreement and end the civil war that allows IS to attract foreign fighters and seize weapons.
    I guess that's too late already. IS has literally billions of dollars, plenty of weapons and is the same threat to Assad as to anybody else. Or do you claim that Assad supports IS?