Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    I personally find sad that we still have kings and queens in many european countries, i find is something that should be gone or at least end up disappearing in some years.

But i also must admit that nowadays, monarchies don't interfere in their country government and limit their actions mostly to external relationships, having a well known and respected perpetual ambassador can be very beneficial for any country, and that's a job that no one else can really do. So as long as they keep it that way, with very well prepared siblings (at least the one who will become king some day), i can accept monarchy.
    The UK monarchy has pretty much no power as it is. Prime minister says sign this.. gets signed. What we really have is a full family of ambassadors who work from day one with no retirement (only death) that costs ~£36m per year. Which considering what they do is a fair deal

People still seem to be under this whole "monarchy costs us money" cloud but the civil list generates income for the treasury and the Crown estates are allocated a % of said profit only. Also despite common misconception you could not just remove them and claim the lands in the civil list as most of it is owned by the monarchy directly. It is just managed by govnt.

Personally i think how we have it set up is a nice way to be. We have a head of state + family, who does what they need to do whilst not getting involved in politics and costing not so much.
    Think of it like removing all power from the US president and changing the way the upper house works so that they don't pander to politics and pass/reject bills based on if they are actually good for the nation rather than trying to score points.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Hello everyone from the UK!

I was just curious if obsession with William and Kate is as insane an issue there as it is in the US. Any development in their life is covered in any popular media on a daily basis, which makes no sense to me given it is the royal family of a different nation. Does this happen excessively in the UK (even if so it makes sense given it's the British royal family) or is this just another example of US celebrity worship?
    I wouldn't compare news coverage of a political and historic institution like an active monarchy to the dubious fandom of renowned sluts like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian. Especially since people like them probably never saw a charity from the inside or have taken part in state affairs. It's likely to be less celebrity worship than being part of being british.

Quote Originally Posted by stances View Post
    and we also get an amazing, experienced ambassador who is still working at 88
    People love to bad mouth and just hate on those who are born into riches and success, it's pathetic really. The Royal Family bring in a phenominal amount of wealth to this nation, and especially in the Middle-East, where they love to have a Royal visit them, we're far more likely to secure trade deals.

The Royal Family is a gold mine, that reaches back hundreds of years and today has very little political influence and power, but still provides the means of stability for this nation. What moron would want to get rid of that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    As an American I feel like it's just the same thing as any other celebrity worship. Which is insane in general.
    No offense, but that would be a tipical American comparison. I'm glad you don't have a monarch.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    What's wrong with my leadership? I will be a just and fair deity/overlord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bervose View Post
    A tyranny is a good idea, one led by you...yeah, not so much.

One with me in charge though, that could work.
    Stop arguing over who is in charge minions, I have king things to do.

Deleted
    im pro monarchy, but i don't keep up to date with personal lives, i don't really care much if harry has been spotted shopping in London or what ever or Kate gets a new dress, but overall i think they are beneficial to the country. while the Queen holds power, she can't really use it without becoming unpopular, then they would go the way of the French monarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Charles talk to plants, Joffrey talks to severed heads.
    sshh.. spoiler alert!!

Brits have the Queen, we have Paris Hilton and that other bimbo..

Deleted
    I only care for Prince Philip and Harry.

William is boring and awkwardly bald. The Queen is a bitch.

The sooner they are gone the better. We still have the castles for bringing in tourist revenue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    People love to bad mouth and just hate on those who are born into riches and success, it's pathetic really. The Royal Family bring in a phenominal amount of wealth to this nation, and especially in the Middle-East, where they love to have a Royal visit them, we're far more likely to secure trade deals.

The Royal Family is a gold mine, that reaches back hundreds of years and today has very little political influence and power, but still provides the means of stability for this nation. What moron would want to get rid of that?
    We could do the exact same thing sending someone like David Beckham or One Direction over...

They are not needed at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Brits have the Queen, we have Paris Hilton and that other bimbo..
    Nonononono, those are not comparable in any way shape or form.

Stop arguing over who is in charge minions, I have king things to do.
    Yeah you do those, the new glorious eternal president of the United Presidentdom (Me) has things to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I only care for Prince Philip and Harry.

William is boring and awkwardly bald. The Queen is a bitch.

The sooner they are gone the better. We still have the castles for bringing in tourist revenue.

- - - Updated - - -

We could do the exact same thing sending someone like David Beckham or One Direction over...

You say the Queen is a bitch but have you ever met her? Everyone I know that has says she is lovely, do you know she tries to have Tea with every member of her Guards Regiments? How many times has Obama grabbed some 19 year old Marine and sat down to ask who he really is?

10+ Year Old Account

The idea of David Beckham negotiating with foreign heads of state is scary.

Along with President Blair, it's actually an argument in favour of keeping the royals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Ireland still has a monarchy.

Some of it.
    They do? Bet this is news to the President that is officially head of state there...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    They do? Bet this is news to the President that is officially head of state there...
    It's even more surprising news to learn that Northern Ireland isn't where I thought it was...

You say the Queen is a bitch but have you ever met her? Everyone I know that has says she is lovely, do you know she tries to have Tea with every member of her Guards Regiments? How many times has Obama grabbed some 19 year old Marine and sat down to ask who he really is?
    I've heard she has a wickedly dry sense of humour too.

Are you purposefully being this stupid, or is it a genetic disorder?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    ************ WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ****************

^^ That there, is the joke going WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY over your head. It's even in the text YOU fucking quoted...