Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    Also, I can see people cringing at the idea of being forced to learn a language that so few european citizens speak.
    If a population of 500 million people learn to speak one language, it wouldn't be such a useless language any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    ugh, I hope such a thing never happens.

Especially considering my language isn't Romance or Germanic. I'll just stick with speaking the language I prefer, thanks.
    As said, I like the idea of Greek as well. Did you know that when the US gained independence, they considered using Greek as the national language? The only reason they didn't was because of pure practical reasons, and even then the US tried for a very long time to distance itself from British English.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    That is sadly the way of any minority language. As a native speaker of one, I'm fully aware it's dying out.

And it's sad, but I do think that it's more important to all be able to communicate than to enforce a multi-lingual lifestyle. Stuff's going to change anyway, and the EU as a whole is already lingually anglicizing. It's just a matter of time.
    Yeah, I'd much prefer we stop having it a mandatory subject and make it optional.

It's a massive waste of resources having all documents in double form >_>

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollskalden View Post
    It certainly doesn't, from a pure practical point of view.

Why do you think there are so many people that do not feel connected to Europe/the EU? Because there really isn't anything that connects them to Europe. The only real thing that all European countries have in common is that their countries have historically been Christian, and even then it's been different forms of Christianity. When you speak to a Bulgarian in English, you're speaking to a Bulgarian who knows English. With Luxembourgish (or whatever European language, I like Greek as well) you and the Bulgarian have something in common that other people don't, and that is a shared language. You feel connected, and thus you feel connected to Europe, even if you live in northernmost Finland speaking to a Maltese you share a common language that's not a language you share with, for example, an Indonesian.

I think people vastly underestimates the influence culture has on identity. Those right-wing extremists? Their primary reason to go against the EU is not because they feel Brussels control their enviromental policies, but rather that the EU is a threat to their nation-state and their culture. They don't feel connected to Europe. This is why English, while practical, shouldn't be the main language of the EU.
    interesting thought, but introducing a language that is already spoken language in one country wouldn´t be of any difference, instead of a language that´s already being thought in most countries schools you´d introduce one that is spoken by compared to the rest of europe a handful of people and for the right-wing extremists it would be the same kind of "threat"

either introduce an all new language for europe or go with one that is convenient and implementable

- - - Updated - - -

As said, I like the idea of Greek as well. Did you know that when the US gained independence, they considered using Greek as the national language? The only reason they didn't was because of pure practical reasons, and even then the US tried for a very long time to distance itself from British English.
    thought it was german... guess it´s just rumors
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Yeah, I'd much prefer we stop having it a mandatory subject and make it optional.

It's a massive waste of resources having all documents in double form >_>
    Well; I do think those languages should be preserved. They have cultural significance. I just don't think this 'anti-one-language stance' thing is going to help out. It's impracticaly, socially impairing, and, in the end, futile.

Teaching Celtic, Frysian, Samish or other minority languages at school is fine. Even as a mandatory subject. Just like we teach all sorts of arts as a mandatory subject.

I love Greek. I think it's an amazing language. I am biased of course, being Greek, and knowing the vital role the Greek language played in the creation of many things "European".

But I can't see how a language spoken by 12 million people, an Indo-European isolate language, being made the lingua franca of Europe. I had read about the US considering it in the 18th century, but trying to educate all those colonists who *weren't* educated like the Founding Fathers were in a language that was very different even in script would have been a real chore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mirandese, or none.

Now serious, most european countries have more then one language. We look at the UK and we see gaelic, scots and others, we look at Spain and they have Basque, catalunian, galician... Why should we eliminate so much culture? These languages are part of the local populations identity, let it be like they are, we should be working on protecting these languages, not eliminate a lot more of national languages.

Still, the need for a language with more range exist, i think that English can fulfill that role, but at the cust of eleminating national, or local languages.

Deleted
    Why do you guys want to a federalised Europe? Espeically a facist, undemocratic one we have now.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by stances View Post
    Why do you guys want to a federalised Europe? Espeically a facist, undemocratic one we have now.
    How exactly is it fascistic and undemocratic?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    interesting thought, but introducing a language that is already spoken language in one country wouldn´t be of any difference, instead of a language that´s already being thought in most countries schools you´d introduce one that is spoken by compared to the rest of europe a handful of people and for the right-wing extremists it would be the same kind of "threat"
    It's obviously not a direct transition. But I think if there is a bigger encouragement to learn Luxembourgish and then slowly introducing it at schools it'll grow on people. My biggest issues with German/French is that both language's country of origin are big players in Europe, and I don't want a federalised Europe to gain too much influence from those countries - this is typical European as well, Brussels was chosen as the seat of the European Union because it was a neutral place, even though it's not much bigger than say, Stockholm.

As for the nationalists, again, it's a slow process but ultimately by slowly introducing Luxembourgish in Europe while at the same time still teaching the "native" language of respective country it'll slowly grow on nationalists.

Deleted
    a simple answer really, english. even without the uk in it (which we most certainly wouldnt be), it would be english.

10+ Year Old Account
    English is, pretty much, the only language used almost everywhere, except for North Korea or Kuba. It is learned as a first foreign language in every country I know of in which any foreign language is taught at all. Today English is assumed to be spoken by every educated person. I don't think there is any better candidate for European Federation than English. Not even close.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Well; I do think those languages should be preserved. They have cultural significance. I just don't think this 'anti-one-language stance' thing is going to help out. It's impracticaly, socially impairing, and, in the end, futile.

Teaching Celtic, Frysian, Samish or other minority languages at school is fine. Even as a mandatory subject. Just like we teach all sorts of arts as a mandatory subject.
    When only 3% of the population are at home speakers, why make all publications in both languages? It's literally a waste of millions to do it.

And teaching it as a mandatory subject from some misplaced sense of patriotism also creates needless expense. If it were voluntary, then 99% of schools would still offer it is a subject, but it'd at least acknowledge the fact we maintain simply to hold onto a false effigy of what being "Irish" is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marika View Post
    How exactly is it fascistic and undemocratic?
    is that a serious question, because if you don't know then i worry.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's obviously not a direct transition. But I think if there is a bigger encouragement to learn Luxembourgish and then slowly introducing it at schools it'll grow on people. My biggest issues with German/French is that both language's country of origin are big players in Europe, and I don't want a federalised Europe to gain too much influence from those countries - this is typical European as well, Brussels was chosen as the seat of the European Union because it was a neutral place, even though it's not much bigger than say, Stockholm.

As for the nationalists, again, it's a slow process but ultimately by slowly introducing Luxembourgish in Europe while at the same time still teaching the "native" language of respective country it'll slowly grow on nationalists.
    i just don´t see it very practical to learn three languages, your mother tongue, english for international reasons and luxembourgish for european reasons

also i don´t consider german or french as practical, and i´m a german speaker
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    If Scottish and UK unionship causes issues imagine what a fucking EU union would do.

Chelly
    is that a serious question, because if you don't know then i worry.
    So you're unable to back up your claim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I love Greek. I think it's an amazing language. I am biased of course, being Greek, and knowing the vital role the Greek language played in the creation of many things "European".

But I can't see how a language spoken by 12 million people, an Indo-European isolate language, being made the lingua franca of Europe. I had read about the US considering it in the 18th century, but trying to educate all those colonists who *weren't* educated like the Founding Fathers were in a language that was very different even in script would have been a real chore.
    Indeed. Slow process, as said. For example, small things like names of institutions, signs and announcements could be a start. Sure, sounds a bit redundant but it's for a greater purpose imo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Mirandese, or none.

Now serious, most european countries have more then one language. We look at the UK and we see gaelic, scots and others, we look at Spain and they have Basque, catalunian, galician... Why should we eliminate so much culture? These languages are part of the local populations identity, let it be like they are, we should be working on protecting these languages, not eliminate a lot more of national languages.

Still, the need for a language with more range exist, i think that English can fulfill that role, but at the cust of eleminating national, or local languages.
    Again, the "federation" language would still be taught. I would never suggest eliminating native languages.

In fact, a federalized Europe could even make it easier for smaller languages to survive, like Breton, which could be taught in schools by creating a Breton state.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    When only 3% of the population are at home speakers, why make all publications in both languages? It's literally a waste of millions to do it.

And teaching it as a mandatory subject from some misplaced sense of patriotism also creates needless expense. If it were voluntary, then 99% of schools would still offer it is a subject, but it'd at least acknowledge the fact we maintain simply to hold onto a false effigy of what being "Irish" is.
    Publications shouldn't be made for both languages, I agree.
    And the whole 'mandatory' versus 'Voluntary' thing: Frysian is a mandatory language for 1 year. After which it becomes voluntary. There's always a middle road. I don't know if you're an Irish speaker, Silas, so we might come from two completely different sides.

Deleted
    Nty to being in a union with coward countries like Sweden that sat out both World Wars, and emerged from them with its economy completely in tact. Sweden made money trading with Hitler’s Germany and providing the Nazi war machine with war materials, even while its fellow Scandinavian nations were being overrun, brutalized and devastated.
    You do know Sweden also fed Britain war infomation too right?