Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How can i teach my cat fetch?

My cat has this ball she loves to chase. She is a Siamese and is fairly smart. I am wandering how I can train her to bring the ball back. She will chase it until i stop running after her and throwing it again.

Deleted
    It depends on the cat.

Some are more willing to be taught than others. My cat taught herself. We threw things for her to chase and she would bring them back to us. Maybe she thought they were her "kills" and she wanted to bring us food. Cats often bring their kills home.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Throw away cat

2. Buy dog(retriever)

3. ?????

4. Profit

10+ Year Old Account
    Try mice with a rattle toy in them. My girlfriend's cat will NOT fetch a ball, but she sure as hell will fetch a mouse and bring it to you. Great way to keep the cat active, while also not having to do terribly much to play with them.

Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    1. Throw away cat

2. Buy dog(retriever)

3. ?????

4. Profit
    Going to have to agree.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    1. Throw away cat

2. Buy dog(retriever)

3. ?????

4. Profit
    1. buy dog

2. throw cat

3. dog trained to fetch

4. cat useful for the last time

5. profit
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need a polydactyl cat:

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

You don't have the right to tell a cat how to behave, it is not your property. Just because you are stronger doesn't mean you can control cats.

I AM A STRONG INDEPENDENT CAT WHO NEEDS NO MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    You don't have the right to tell a cat how to behave, it is not your property. Just because you are stronger doesn't mean you can control cats.

With a dog avatar...

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    With a dog avatar...
    And an owl in the name. This is madness!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post

Go home dog, you are drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you can teach cats anything, you can only allow them to momentarily convince you that you have.

One of my cats plays fetch, but she more or less taught herself.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

My friends cat only fetches pennies. They have a change jar on their living room table and if you throw a penny the cat will fetch it and return it to someone, not always the person who threw it. The funny thing is I guess it either can't see silver change or just doesn't like it because it will only fetch pennies. Oh and no idea if they taught it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't think you can teach cats anything, you can only allow them to momentarily convince you that you have.

One of my cats plays fetch, but she more or less taught herself.
    You can condition them, not really teach them. (example, mine immediately appears if I get out the can opener. I have no idea how she knows that's what I got out of the drawer, but boom, there she is.)

As for fetch, some cats will. Most won't. Cats are cats. They're just going to do their thing while being cats. You can't do anything about a cat being a cat.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

mine chased the ball around till it stopped then go into the pounce position and wait for me to throw it again

Deleted
    Cats arent in it for you, they are in it for themselves!

taught some of our cat's to come to get on the window tablet if they wanted in, worked like a charm but it might have been because they get something out of it, ie get inside to their food

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    My cat has this ball she loves to chase. She is a Siamese and is fairly smart. I am wandering how I can train her to bring the ball back. She will chase it until i stop running after her and throwing it again.
    Cats don't care about pleasing you or care about what you think of them like a dog does.
    If a cat fetches, they're a very unique exception to the rule and may be mimicing a dog if you have one in the family. But yeah, cats don't do fetching.

The way I taught my cat (and she still doesn't do it every time, but that's all to do with what mood she's in) was by placing the ball at my feet for a while before picking it up and throwing it. If you keep this up they associate the ball being near your feet with the fact it's about to get thrown.

Make sure to have treats in your pocket (having a bag or tub never works as they're noisy and get the cats attention far too easily) if/when she starts to bring the ball back, or rolling it back to you offer a treat and pet them, say good girl and all that jazz. Then throw the ball again.

Do this every day two or three times (make sure you're not giving out too many treats!)

Eventually it happens more and more often, this is when you start getting less generous with treats, begin to only give them out when she brings it back to you as opposed to her rolling it your way.

I'd say you're looking at a few weeks for each phase though it can be less or more, some cats are far less stubborn than others. Eventually you won't need to give treats at all and a simple fuss will suffice to show she's doing it right.

Whatever you do, don't cave too often and fetch the ball all the time, when you do have to remember to put it at your feet before you throw it again and make sure she knows it's there. You can accompany this with saying something like "Go fetch" before you pick up the ball and throw it. Soon just the words will make her understand and lo and behold you now have a cat that plays fetch.

If the ball isn't working toy mice work, IKEA do these soft toys that my cat will "hunt" for me and she leaves them outside my door as if she's gone and made a kill (despite her being a house cat she somehow knows what mice are? lol) so she often fetches that as I throw it around for her, along with hiding it in places around the house for her to sniff out

Good luck!

Admit it, you only want to copy that cat! (mute it before watching)