Bear Trap... so BORING... how about...

So as a Survival hunter, and I hope I speak for ALL survival hunters, I play my spec because I enjoy

CONTROLLING ALL THE THINGS

Seriously, there is no better feeling then controlling a fight and not letting the team break your line in situations say like... the mid of Eye of the Storm... the Flag Room of WSG, etc...

Bear trap is boring... a boring ability for an already pretty BORING spec. How about...

- A turret that fires shots at whatever target you critically strike. It could fire nets, or maybe FIRE, or maybe BADGERS. It could EXPLODE when people try to kill it!

- A channeled flame-thrower ability. (For 3 seconds, you fire a jet of flame 4 yards in front of you, dealing X damage to all affected targets, and X damage for 6 seconds afterwords. While burning, movement speed is slowed by X%

- Detonation Mines - 3 Charges. Place a mine within 40 yards that, when detonated, explodes dealing X damage to all targets within X yards. If 2 or more traps are detonated at the same time, all targets affected by the mines also burn for X damage over 6 seconds. (Could be affected by explosive trap glyph)

- - - Updated - - -

or maybe i'm just excited about wildstar...

Or how about a literal bear trap, one that when sprung releases 5-6 bears to maul the player/NPC that tripped the trap.

But yeah, as is it does sound a little odd.

Those abilities sound like a new class altogether. I know General Discussions was asking for a Tinker for damn near forever. I think the abilities you listed would go much better in that class, thematically, than hunters.

But they do sound like fun.

As for me, I can't say whether bear trap is boring or not yet. If it puts big, pretty yellow numbers on my screen, I'll like it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Or how about a literal bear trap, one that when sprung releases 5-6 bears to maul the player/NPC that tripped the trap.
    When I first heard about it, this is what I thought it was. I thought Snake Trap turned into Bear Trap for Survival, or with a talent, or something. Would be so awesome.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

I just think survival is the spec that comes closest to FILLING the sort of... mechanic... tinker kind of roll. I mean he uses traps, and explosives... sounds like a demolitions guy to me.

I think I've figured it out! Bear trap is a second stampede, upon activation, the target is smothered in delicious honey, and multiple bears emerge from the wilderness, mauling the target. New stampede on a 30 sec cooldown, other classes will shiver in fear for the almighty BM burst grows and grows

srsly tho, have you actually tested it on closed alpha? How can you call it boring? It's just throwing a trap at a target every 30 sec / 1 min or whatever the cd will be. Nothing wrong with a little new variation in the rotation. It's not like you have to backflip through hoops and do a handstand just to use bestial wrath. How is it any different than other classes, like a destro lock placing down rain of fire?

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    I just think survival is the spec that comes closest to FILLING the sort of... mechanic... tinker kind of roll. I mean he uses traps, and explosives... sounds like a demolitions guy to me.
    Explosive trap and Explosive Shot are the only abilities I can think of that are explosives and every hunter spec gets explosive trap. I think it's kind of a moot point. If you want a demolition guy, go for a goblin or goblin engineering as a profession to toss bombs.

I think that hunters have the "tinker" roll because we're the only one that uses traps. That's unique compared to every other class.

The first time bear trap got tested it was a root/bleed. I suspect it'll be the same. In other words, SV is getting another CC in a time when CC is being cut down. Shh, don't complain.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
    The first time bear trap got tested it was a root/bleed. I suspect it'll be the same. In other words, SV is getting another CC in a time when CC is being cut down. Shh, don't complain.
    It's going to be used as a CD not a CC for bosses...

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    So as a Survival hunter, and I hope I speak for ALL survival hunters, I play my spec because I enjoy

CONTROLLING ALL THE THINGS

Seriously, there is no better feeling then controlling a fight and not letting the team break your line in situations say like... the mid of Eye of the Storm... the Flag Room of WSG, etc...

Bear trap is boring... a boring ability for an already pretty BORING spec. How about...

- A turret that fires shots at whatever target you critically strike. It could fire nets, or maybe FIRE, or maybe BADGERS. It could EXPLODE when people try to kill it!

- A channeled flame-thrower ability. (For 3 seconds, you fire a jet of flame 4 yards in front of you, dealing X damage to all affected targets, and X damage for 6 seconds afterwords. While burning, movement speed is slowed by X%

- Detonation Mines - 3 Charges. Place a mine within 40 yards that, when detonated, explodes dealing X damage to all targets within X yards. If 2 or more traps are detonated at the same time, all targets affected by the mines also burn for X damage over 6 seconds. (Could be affected by explosive trap glyph)

- - - Updated - - -

or maybe i'm just excited about wildstar...
    Yeah, that stuff doesn't sound very Hunter-ish. Sounds more tech-based.

Bear Trap fits the Hunter class, and the Survival spec. I'm glad they're finally bringing it to the Hunter class.

Would rather they just buff snake trap. If it ends up being a root + bleed trap it will likely be useless in PvE. As for PvP bleeds are always nice since they can't be dispelled but survival is a weak PVP spec. They would need to do more than just give it another trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

But yeah, as is it does sound a little odd.
    That would be incredible.

Survival is seeming really uninteresting to me. I'm thinking marksman and BM is gonna be the 2 specs of choice for WoD
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Al long as it isn't a rotational ability using point and click I'm ok with it, there was a reason why explosive never made it into single target rotation (not pratical).

EDIT: Seems like it is a dps CD like stanpede, damn point and click.
    Last edited by mmoce2532cddcf; 2014-05-18 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lufi View Post
    Al long as it isn't a rotational ability using point and click I'm ok with it, there was a reason why explosive never made it into single target rotation (not pratical).

EDIT: Seems like it is a dps CD like stanpede, damn point and click.
    where is the source? I'm not doubting you. I'd just like to see it for myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue I have with bear trap is that it feels PVPish (presuming it stays a root+bleed). The root will be useless in PVE aside from soloing since it breaks on damage and in group PVE it's not likely you will be the only one damaging a mob (hell, even in PVP how often will the SV hunter be the only one damaging the player??). It might be nice on large elites in raids, but unless the bleed can be spread it's useless on large trash packs. Bosses will probably be immune to the root, so whether it is useful there is dependent on the bleed damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    im just wondering what it is going to do before I decide its dumb or anything.
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Recent tweet verifies it's a root and a "very large bleed". Also says we might use it like a CD cooldown, which once I gave it some thought makes damn good sense. Keep in mind that the same time we found out about bear trap, we were also told that MM is getting rapid fire back. It's just dps CD parity; BM gets bestial wrath, MM gets rapid fire, and SV will have bear trap. It's not like the cooldown on traps is so short you'll be using it rotationally.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
    Recent tweet verifies it's a root and a "very large bleed". Also says we might use it like a CD cooldown, which once I gave it some thought makes damn good sense. Keep in mind that the same time we found out about bear trap, we were also told that MM is getting rapid fire back. It's just dps CD parity; BM gets bestial wrath, MM gets rapid fire, and SV will have bear trap. It's not like the cooldown on traps is so short you'll be using it rotationally.
    More like BM gets to keep Focus Fire, which is kind of a CD they COULD have cut if they really went rambo on CDs.