Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    That wasn't my point though. My point is that war is holding us back in the grand scheme of things.

Surely you don't want to argue that working together would be much better? Of course that is not going to happen for a long time (if at all). But the fact is that humanity has strange priorities.
    Socially it holds us back, technologically it can drive us. I would argue that mutually working together is the best solution in all cases but like you said, that doesn't happen so as it stands you have the scientists who are pushing theories and discussion but don't necessarily have the funding and the military who has the funding to test some things.

10+ Year Old Account

I like my biology here and there ;D
    Well he seems more content to lambast muslims over twitter than do any actual science, so... I don't really chalk him up with anyone of merit. I'd say Bill Nye the science guy was a better candidate for your "venerable scientist" list.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu Oshino View Post
    Socially it holds us back, technologically it can drive us. I would argue that mutually working together is the best solution in all cases but like you said, that doesn't happen so as it stands you have the scientists who are pushing theories and discussion but don't necessarily have the funding and the military who has the funding to test some things.
    It only only lets us drive out of fear and ignorance. And we are starting to see a shift. We know that Communism isn't the greatest threat of mankind anymore (well some do), but rather changes that happen on our planet and in the universe. And now the driving force is the economy and survival of our race. It is sad that curiosity isn't amongst the big reasons but oh well, people doubted the use of electricity.......

Space agencies still don't have the funding they need to get us off this planet anytime soon, they still don't have any good system that will alert us if a meteorite is heading our way. I don't mind the developments of weapons, that is not the bulk of the cost. Using them is, and they cost much more than money.

There is an almost infinite amount of energy and rare resources in our solar system. And I am glad even private enterprises are pushing to get those. But the path has to be cleared by science and exploration.
    Last edited by mmoc0d8e6c2903; 2014-05-16 at 10:56 PM.

Deleted
    It only only lets us drive out of fear and ignorance. And we are starting to see a shift. We know that Communism isn't the greatest threat of mankind anymore (well some do), but rather changes that happen on our planet and in the universe. And now the driving force is the economy and survival of our race. It is sad that curiosity isn't amongst the big reasons but oh well, people doubted the use of electricity.......

Space agencies still don't have the funding they need to get us off this planet anytime soon, they still don't have any good system that will alert us if a meteorite is heading our way. I don't mind the developments of weapons, that is not the bulk of the cost. Using them is, and they cost much more than money.
    This will sound harsh but if in war we are (in this case) placing the value on the intellect of those who are being killed then in the overall development of technology very little is lost all in all, the bulk of people who are killed in war are normally foot-soldiers, not nuclear physicists or particle physicists; they are normally captured.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well he seems more content to lambast muslims over twitter than do any actual science, so... I don't really chalk him up with anyone of merit. I'd say Bill Nye the science guy was a better candidate for your "venerable scientist" list.
    Point taken, he is still a brilliant scientist but probably not the best spokesman for the science community.......people could grow a thicker skin but oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point taken, he is still a brilliant scientist but probably not the best spokesman for the science community.......people could grow a thicker skin but oh well.
    Or he could do things actually pertinent to... science...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu Oshino View Post
    This will sound harsh but if in war we are (in this case) placing the value on the intellect of those who are being killed then in the overall development of technology very little is lost all in all, the bulk of people who are killed in war are normally foot-soldiers, not nuclear physicists or particle physicists; they are normally captured.
    But there lies the problem. A lot of civillians died during WW1, WW2 and pretty much any conflict before and after. A lot of those civillians that died were children. Nobody can know what would have become of them.

This is all hypothetical anyway. I am a cynic, I doubt that much will change until we get a clear threat for the masses. Much bigger than our involvment in climate change. And that is a huge threat.