Page 1 of 2
LastLast

anyone ever notice how people online almost always seem to try to "1up" each other?

I notice this all the time and I hate it. IE: here's basically a guild chat I saw today between 2 guildies

-woot I just got HK!

-gratz...I already got him on 5 chars :P

-Cool, Yeah this actually my 7th time getting him.

-mmm, well if you count my other legacy I've gotten him close to 20 times.

:|

And it's not like they are just random dumb butts on fleet, this was a guild officer and another long time member :S I'm getting older in real life and it seems like people can be a lot more douchey online :S I used to be super social in online games but nowadays I find myself turning off guild and general chat more and more :S lol

It's the prevailing attitude in online gaming these days. No one can be happy for you, or understand your enthusiasm. Happened to me when I maxed out my first and only Legacy. I made the mistake of patting myself on the back in chat, because I was excited I finally did it. Insert 3 jerks saying "Good job noob, I've maxxed out 3 or more legacies."

I also just turn my chats off 85% of the time, It makes for a more rewarding and immersive experience for me.

Deleted
    Well that's gaming community these days, it's everywhere.
    You only find maturity in older games that the "kids" don't know about or have forgotten about.
    Why I still play UT2004 because the community there is so much better, atleast on the server I'm on but that might be because the average age is 40.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I find SWTOR community to be better in this regard than that in other online games. I often see someone ask in general chat some really basic question, like "Hey guys, anyone knows what alacrity is?", and people are very helpful, they will explain everything, they will always help with directions. At least it is so on European servers.

Compare it to, say, WoW. "Hey guys, what spec is the best for Mage for leveling?". "Haha, spec for lvling, omg NUB".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Actually, I find SWTOR community to be better in this regard than that in other online games. I often see someone ask in general chat some really basic question, like "Hey guys, anyone knows what alacrity is?", and people are very helpful, they will explain everything, they will always help with directions. At least it is so on European servers.

Compare it to, say, WoW. "Hey guys, what spec is the best for Mage for leveling?". "Haha, spec for lvling, omg NUB".
    You propably don't play on ToFN then ^^
    When you join solo que for ranked on ToFN slightly undergeared or as a weaker class you instantly get people crying about it even if you're a better player.
    And so it goes with most things really, if someone tries to ask a serious question it's either ignored or a couple of people will throw out random things.

It is pretty hilarious at times especially with the pvp part when you prove them wrong but other times you're like "ugh here we go again..."
    Main factor is what the OP says, that people always wanna feel superior or they just think that they are superior.
    Good thing that in this game gear and fotm class isn't always everything in pvp atleast, skill can make up for a lot of it.

It's like that almost everywhere. Can't say that I like it, and I also can't say I'm not guilty of doing this at least once.

Deleted
    Other MMOs are better! psych...

It's not just in the Gaming Community, it's Human nature to be competitive and try and be better then our peers. Everyone, regardless of being in games or business, is trying to get one up on each other.

Not that its any different in "real life."

This has been happening since the dawn of competition.

The one up.

It just seems more prevalent now cause only cause more and more people are crammed into areas with better communication between each other.

It's nothing new and not going away.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    It's not just in the Gaming Community, it's Human nature to be competitive and try and be better then our peers. Everyone, regardless of being in games or business, is trying to get one up on each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Not that its any different in "real life."
    Idk about that - my friends and family genuinely seem to want me to succeed and are happy for me (well at least they don't try to 1up me every time something good happens to me). They say guilds are supposed to be like your gaming family :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    True. Everytime my friend says something he's accomplished the idea of 1upping him comes to mind, but I always hold myself because I don't want to be a freaking douche.

In your example though OP, if it's two long time guild members, most likely it's just them teasing each other, not really trying to outdo them, I'm guilty of doing that myself, but I never actually consider myself better than them.

This was the only part that older BC-cultures had on us. All one-upsmanship was about guys comparing weiners, or who had the most gold/biggest armies, and you couldn't fake any of it. :P

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Hey OP, nice thread! I've already got five more like it.

In all seriousness, yeah, it happens. Has for a long time. Unfortunately it is unlikely to go away any time soon.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who is satisfied with 1-upping people? I'm too busy 7-upping people.
    BAD WOLF

If you are inteligent you know there is nothing to compete for in games and you act accordingly. But you need dem brainz boi.

I've noticed this even more than you have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Who is satisfied with 1-upping people? I'm too busy 7-upping people.
    I remember when I used to 7-Up people. I've been Surging people more lately.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hugsvanitypets View Post
    I've noticed this even more than you have.
    Ooh nice. An even better one than I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I remember when I used to 7-Up people. I've been Surging people more lately.
    Eww. Surge is gross. It's all about the Josta. Bring it back Coke, you jerks.
    BAD WOLF