Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question about "profanity"

Reminder: I am just listing some words for clarity sake, this is not a troll post or something like that.

Hi guys, I am not a native english speaker so I wonder how much "weight" some words have.

For example, about the word "f*ck", in my country, the translated word is a very rude word. I mean, you can use it with friends of yours or with people very familiar to you, but I think there's no way you can use it in forums without getting banned (in my country). Still, it sounds like the word "f*ck", in english, is kinda accepted and not 100% punishable on forums and so on. So the question is, have words like "f*ck" a lighter meaning than I think (in english), or are they as bad as in my country but moderators (in every forum, I am not talking about mmo) just ignore/bypass them because they are "commonly accepted"?

Another question. It sounds like "nouns" are way less punished than "verbs". For example, the phrase "You are cr@p" seems not as offensive as "I cr@p on you", based on bans made on several forums (like wow official forum, based on what I heard). The same can be said for the word "f*ck". "No f*ck was given by Bob" and "F*ck you". In both cases there's a subject, so the subject should be consired "offended" anyway. What am I missing? Why verbs carry more weight than nouns?

Thank you for your answers.

Swearing is fun! Godfuckingdammit.

Without knowing what "fuck" means in your language, hard to say
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see any difference from using one swear word over another
    Saying 'your a jackass' will get the same reaction from me as saying 'your a fag'
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    I have no idea why the word "Cunt" is so controversial. I have done nothing different from calling you a vagina.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu Oshino View Post
    I have no idea why the word "Cunt" is so controversial. I have done nothing different from calling you a vagina.
    Never understood either really, but its certainly a strong one usually, definitely in the upper echelon.

Power Word: Cunt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Never understood either really, but its certainly a strong one usually, definitely in the upper echelon.

Power Word: Cunt
    It's really easy to say with a love of venom too. Got a real crunchy sound to it.

It's really easy to say with a love of venom too. Got a real crunchy sound to it.
    It's versatile, you can yell it like an insane person, or whisper it under your breath and it's awesome in both ways!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Swearing is fun! Godfuckingdammit.

Without knowing what "fuck" means in your language, hard to say
    Well I think it has the same meaning. You can never use it with people you do not know, or with your teachers, for example. What I don't get is that even if "f*ck" is considered offensive, you can't get banned for saying it.

I really don't see any difference from using one swear word over another
    Saying 'your a jackass' will get the same reaction from me as saying 'your a fag'
    Me too, so there's no difference between nouns and verbs? But why verbs bring to more bans than nouns?

10+ Year Old Account
    Words like fuck depends a lot on the context, while certainly colourful it can also be used in sentences not intended to insult anyone as well, its still swearing though.

15+ Year Old Account
    For me I feel the translated version of the word to my language is a lot weaker than the English version. Actually I think all words are weaker in my language (Swedish) than it is in English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    For example, the phrase "You are cr@p" seems not as offensive as "I cr@p on you", based on bans made on several forums (like wow official forum, based on what I heard).
    If someone said "I crap on you", it sounds like they want you to partake in some dodgy German film. Eww.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Words like fuck depends a lot on the context, while certainly colourful it can also be used in sentences not intended to insult anyone as well, its still swearing though.
    Yeah I know but, for example, what about "You are cr@p" and "I cr@p on you"? I know they have different meanings, but aren't they equally offensive? I would feel offended in both cases, and if I was a moderator I think I would ban in both cases or not ban in both cases. It looks like "nouns" are more accepted, maybe they are more accepted if, as you say, they do not insult anyone but it's just swearing? So nouns which refer to anyone are equally offensive as verbs?

So, in general, based on the context, we can say some swear words are "commonly accepted" and "not bannable", right? At the same time, if nouns do not offend anyone in particular are "commonly accepted" and "not bannable" but if they refer to someone as verbs do, they carry the same weight, right?
    Last edited by Seneca; 2014-05-21 at 06:25 PM.

fuck is the most common swear word but not really the most vulgar - cunt and cocksucker take that cake i believe ;p

it's different in different countries, the most common swear word here in poland, kurwa (whore), is also the most vulgar (together with 'chuj' - dick). in general, english curses when translated directly sound silly - it's all about the context.

as for using profanities on forums, well the ones I frequent tolerate swearing as long as you don't attack other users.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    This, pretty much. Fuck has many uses and most of them aren't insulting. It's often used for emphasis or almost as punctuation. It's considered crass to use in front of polite company or children, yes. Of course, if I say "go fuck yourself" to someone, that's still an insult.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Criss de calice de tabarnac d'osti de sacrament

Ostie de tabarnac

Mon tabarnac jva te décalisser la yeule, calice

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    Yeah I know but, for example, what about "You are cr@p" and "I cr@p on you"?
    'you are crap' is a weird example. what's the context? as in 'you are crap at this game'? that's not particularly offensive. 'i crap on you' has different meaning and can actually be quite offensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's controversial because you're told it is. It's the bad word and has a stigma attached. It's quite silly. Cunt is one of my favourite words

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Because calling someone a cunt means that all they're good for is a hole to have sex with.
    For some that might be complimentary in comparison to actual sentiment I hold about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cunt can actually be used affectionately in slang, or sarcastically.

I've always used "cunt" in a more literal sense...as like a "quality" juxtaposition between a "cunt" and a "pussy." Just by virtue of how it sounds. A "Pussy" is neat, prim and tidy, fragile in a sense. A "cunt" however, is a beastly, unkempt, roast beef nightmare of the worst sort.