Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm starting to feel good with the world. Had a good week, nothing strange or unusual happened. BAM! this. This is why we cant be happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    After crossing that line getting the trust back is impossible. Faking sanity is easier then curing insanity.
    Yeah, much better to fake being insane and spend the rest of your life in a mental hospital...... Did you think this through?

They should either lock her in an institute for the next 5 years or move her down to LA's china town and make her work there for minimum wage for the next 5 years. The message to not be a cunt should sink in during that time frame.
    When work feels overwhelming, remember that you're going to die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummbles View Post
    They should either lock her in an institute for the next 5 years or move her down to LA's china town and make her work there for minimum wage for the next 5 years. The message to not be a cunt should sink in during that time frame.
    Give her a paying job as punishment? Thats a new one I must admit.

Minimum wage really doesn't pay much, it'd work out.
    When work feels overwhelming, remember that you're going to die.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    She's clearly mentally-disturbed. There's no way you could do something like this being perfectly sane. Seems like she needs treatment more than anything.

Article doesn't say much about how badly the little girl was hurt. Hope she recovers well.
    I disagree, people who think their behavior is acceptable are in the right frame of mind, it's just not one we agree with. Too often do we attribute racism and behavior towards visible minorities as a mental problem when in reality what these kinds of people do is in their minds right and justified. Just because they are doing something we don't like doesn't make them mentally ill, odds are they were raised intolerant. You can't not be racist though, everyone dislikes someone of another background for some reason or another.

Deleted
    Millions of people in the USA are desperate for jobs, even a minimum wage one. A guaranteed job for 5 years is no punishment at all.

She's clearly suffering from some form of Mental Breakdown / Condition. No-one in their right mind would ever consider beating a child of four. Her lack of empathy also makes that more likely, but I'd hate to see her get off without facing serious punishment by potentially abusing that angle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I disagree, people who think their behavior is acceptable are in the right frame of mind, it's just not one we agree with. Too often do we attribute racism and behavior towards visible minorities as a mental problem when in reality what these kinds of people do is in their minds right and justified. Just because they are doing something we don't like doesn't make them mentally ill, odds are they were raised intolerant. You can't not be racist though, everyone dislikes someone of another background for some reason or another.
    Racism may not be considered a sign of mental health but beating a 4 year old with a crowbar for seemingly no reason is a pretty good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    She's clearly mentally-disturbed. There's no way you could do something like this being perfectly sane. Seems like she needs treatment more than anything.

Article doesn't say much about how badly the little girl was hurt. Hope she recovers well.
    Why are you liberals this way? You guys support not giving medication to mentally disturbed people against their will, while after they hurt someone, then you guys want to help them? Why can not you support helping them before they even reach this stage?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Racism may not be considered a sign of mental health but beating a 4 year old with a crowbar for seemingly no reason is a pretty good sign.
    But so are many other crimes of similar nature, including murder. Yet we treat each one differently for some reason. And I think psychiatric assessments are a stupid way of determining whether someone murders or does harm for a thrill or whether they do it because they believe it's right and justified.

What bollocks, lots of mentally ill people get better and go on to be productive members of society, people like you just used to stick them in sanitariums and charge people money to laugh and mock them.
    Let me guess, you learned that from promotionals or from books. You did not actually interact with any mentally ill people. From someone who actually worked in the field, mentally ill patients need LIFE TIME of support. Medication alone does not do it. They need to people solid foundation, so they don't relapse. They need to take their medication despite side effects, one of the most common side effect being sexual disfunction. Thus, a lot of people forgo taking their meds. And you can not force them either to take it, until they hurt someone. They need to have constant monitoring to see changes in their behavior, often time drugs stop working because body gets used to it. Medication is a magic bullet. It is not that people take medication, and become a contributing member of society. It takes a lot of work, often they fail multiple times.

10+ Year Old Account
    It pays some. Enough to sustain you if you're smart and you're willing to take a lot of cuts, and understand the risks of having your life fall apart if you have any medical or legal issues whatsoever (and it isn't like minimum wage jobs generally have a greater risk of things like burns, illness, and other perosnal injuries which can be devestating).

But then, I'm 100% in favor of the government setting up programs to employ employable people rather than utilizing social security in every instance.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    There's nothing about being racist that makes you compulsively assault people. There are plenty of people who just demand you boot all of the nonwhites from the US in a completely legal fashion.
    There are people all over the world like that though, not just America. I can safely say there are a large number of Canadians who would like nothing more then to have a lot of non whites deported because they feel they are ruining our country for significant reasons, me being one of them. That kind of thinking probably happens in many other countries to be honest. I think a lot of people don't want to feel like a minority in their home land.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    But so are many other crimes of similar nature, including murder. Yet we treat each one differently for some reason. And I think psychiatric assessments are a stupid way of determining whether someone murders or does harm for a thrill or whether they do it because they believe it's right and justified.
    This is why we pay a lot of money for very clever people to make up our laws, experts spend years debating before implementing such serious laws and the punishments and processes involved. Left up to the common man to decide we would just hang them from the nearest tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It really shows the state of our civilization doesn't it?

People read something that upset them, so the first thing they do is whatever moral acrobatics it takes to make them comfortable killing somebody.
    And people like you are too idealistic. It is people like you who support not treating someone without their consent. Ignoring the fact, their mind itself is compromised, they can't give consent.

- - - Updated - - -

This is why we pay a lot of money for very clever people to make up our laws, experts spend years debating before implementing such serious laws and the punishments and processes involved. Left up to the common man to decide we would just hang them from the nearest tree.
    And they would be wrong, why? It is not like we are having population crisis, or that person is extremely valuable to society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    And people like you are too idealistic. It is people like you who support not treating someone without their consent. Ignoring the fact, their mind itself is compromised, they can't give consent.

- - - Updated - - -

And they would be wrong, why? It is not like we are having population crisis, or that person is extremely valuable to society.
    Just pray you don't have a really bad day and it all goes to shit, you will eat those words.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    How horrible. I never understand how people want to hurt children.
    Not to disagree but I never understood why people think something happening to a child is so much worse than it happening to an adult.

Just pray you don't have a really bad day and it all goes to shit, you will eat those words.
    That is the thing. Normal people who have very bad day, can cope. The mentally ill people CAN NOT. They are like glass dolls. They need life time of support system along with medication for them to continue life like an average joe. In today's work hectic schedule, this is a luxary. You believe, someone would take meds, and automaticly become contributing member of society. Here is the thing, majority clients of psych wards, are repeat patients, they come back again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Let me guess, you learned that from promotionals or from books. You did not actually interact with any mentally ill people. From someone who actually worked in the field, mentally ill patients need LIFE TIME of support.
    Depends on what kind of mentally ill you're talking about. Having social anxiety disorder is a far, far cry from schizophrenia complicated with dementia. Just toss them an antidepressant or a benzo and make sure that its working well.

Medication alone does not do it. They need to people solid foundation, so they don't relapse. They need to take their medication despite side effects, one of the most common side effect being sexual disfunction.
    Having worked with mentally ill people a considerable amount, as well as a great deal with developmentally disabled people working part time at an institute that works to employ the developmentally disabled and allow them to have some measure of financial independence, I most definitely agree with this. But nonpharmacologic therapy and advisory is far more important than throwing drugs at them.

Thus, a lot of people forgo taking their meds. And you can not force them either to take it, until they hurt someone.
    Not all types of mental illness are violent. To quote a psychiatrist I know with a highly refractory patient, "there's nothing wrong with a little hallucinogenic schizophrenia as long as they're blissfully staying in their heads and not harming themselves or others."

They need to have constant monitoring to see changes in their behavior, often time drugs stop working because body gets used to it. Medication is a magic bullet. It is not that people take medication, and become a contributing member of society. It takes a lot of work, often they fail multiple times.
    The ultimate goal in treating a mentally ill patient is to allow sustained independence. Get them to the point where they can operate their own lives, while allowing enough monitoring to ensure that their treatment is being maintained while not treating them like a patient in a psych ward. The ultimate objective most definitely is to allow them to become contributing members of society.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2014-05-18 at 03:55 PM.