Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The US Constitution doesn't apply in the Bahamas.
    I'm not arguing that the Bahamians have rights under the US Constitution. I was making a broader point about why unrestricted wiretapping is a breach of privacy laws in most of the Western world.

Sure, the NSA might not actually be breaking those laws, because they're breaking other laws involving espionage instead, but that isn't exactly a defense, since those latter laws are the more serious ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post
    Don't they just close their eyes and poke at a map?
    Not far from the truth, the US drone-striked a random funeral for god's sake in the Middle-East. Of course we've killed hundreds of civilians with drones so nothing new. Sorry for going off topic, back to point the NSA has done far more harm than good.

This is news? We already know the NSA is recording everything... There should be no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    They were caught spying on random American citizens, domestically and abroad. Unless I see some drone strikes or arrests (which they definitely would publicize to combat the Snowden incident) in the US and in the Bahamas that point seems very irrelevant.
    Well at least some of their blanket surveillance must be working for the Drone strikes to be killing militant leaders. It may not be the same thing as looking for terrorists in the US (or tax evaders in the Bahamas for that matter) but they clearly have the skills to narrow down on targets using just this kind of surveillance and with that said I am willing to make the reach.

I kind of think the Western world was galvanized by the 9/11 attacks. There's no way we're going to let our guard down entirely from something like that again, so unless there is a change into an entirely neutral non-governmental agency monitoring all of the calls on Earth and things like that it is going to stay this way.
    Call me Cassandra

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyael View Post
    Well at least some of their blanket surveillance must be working for the Drone strikes to be killing militant leaders. It may not be the same thing as looking for terrorists in the US (or tax evaders in the Bahamas for that matter) but they clearly have the skills to narrow down on targets using just this kind of surveillance and with that said I am willing to make the reach.

I kind of think the Western world was galvanized by the 9/11 attacks. There's no way we're going to let our guard down entirely from something like that again, so unless there is a change into an entirely neutral non-governmental agency monitoring all of the calls on Earth and things like that it is going to stay this way.
    So basically, Word Wide North Korea?

We should really just bill our citizens on their phone bills like Germany did.

Except neutral, so not caring about anything but violent attacks.
    Call me Cassandra

10+ Year Old Account
    No way that could go wrong.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You don't think it's criminal?

Why would it be criminal for a spy agency to.... spy? I mean what did we create them for if not to spy?

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Why would it be criminal for a spy agency to.... spy? I mean what did we create them for if not to spy?
    We created them to spy on perceived threats, not to spy on everyone waiting for a threat to appear.

Spy agencies spy on other countries, yes. I'm sure lots of countries spy, but not to the extent the NSA and US have taken it to. They're making the people of their own country, the people of other countries and their governments incredibly pissed off because the point of spying was never to spy on the people, unless we're talking terrorists. Now everyone is a potential terrorist.

Deleted
    Do you actually believe "terrorists" would casually talk about their plans on the phone?
    If anyone would be planing such actions they would surely use some encrypted chat client or at the very least speak in some kind of code.
    In my opinion NSA is there ONLY to spy on their own citizens.

And I bet they don't do anything with the information unless it's some kind of national threat. There's so many thieves and thefts in the bahamas, especially when it comes to boats. In the bahamas the smart people refuse to buy a boat with a yamaha motor on the back of it because they know it'll be stolen eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the thefts involve an inside man. You know what this will change? Nothing.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Calling for the dismantling of something for doing its job and not affecting anyone but criminals is like calling for the police force to be abolished because they gave you a ticket.
    But, but hating on the NSA is the cool thing to do at the moment.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Don't transmit shit through the air unsecured and expect people won't tap it.

Pretty sure Germans said the same thing in the 30's.

NSA is today's SS. I could care less what they do outside the US but when they start doing crap INSIDE the US then I have a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    But, but hating on the NSA is the cool thing to do at the moment.

No.. Hating on the NSA is the logical thing to do at the moment?
    I think you must be delusional , The reason people are care about the NSA at the moment is because what they are doing is very wrong.

But sure , freedom and all that. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    There is no question at this point, the NSA needs to be dismantled.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/a...-call-bahamas/
    100% true.

And then reincorporated under a new name where it does not officially exist.

The stupidest thing the NSA ever did was going public. That goes for the NRO too.

Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    Pretty sure Germans said the same thing in the 30's.

NSA is today's SS. I could care less what they do outside the US but when they start doing crap INSIDE the US then I have a problem.
    There's the Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    I think you must be delusional , The reason people are care about the NSA at the moment is because what they are doing is very wrong.
    Not even remotely, but we'll also never stop.

I mean do people honestly expect the world's foremost technological power to not use cutting edge technology to spy on a scale no one else can match? To abuse our unique position to suit our own ends? Give me a break.