Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

This game has made me toxic

LT;DR at the bottom.

In League of Legends, every possible result ends up in the victim being punished by Riot.

Scenario: You get into a game with a toxic player. This person is being toxic by either being rude or purposely hindering gameplay (going afk, dying on purpose, taking buffs when they're not supposed to or building something weird because "it's lost anyways").

You can choose to ignore them but that wont stop them from diving the enemy team or tower by themselves at lvl 5. Punishment: No fun because you're losing for dumb reasons.
    You can try to surrender but 90% of the time there will be at least 2 red votes. Punishment: No fun and you're FORCED to keep playing or YOU get reported.
    You can try to go afk but then you won't be able to report them and they will in fact report YOU. Punishment: Getting chat restricted/banned and the toxic person gets off free.

The only result that isn't directly negative towards the victim is /ignoring all the toxic players and then lose the match because they're still ruining it for you. Since fun > everything else this makes for a very poor option, even though it's the only one that won't get YOU in trouble.

TL;DR: There is no method of avoiding toxic players that doesn't severely punish the player. This results in players themselves becoming toxic due to them feeling powerless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try to socialize with non toxic players so you can queue as a group later.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffer the Consequences View Post
    Yeah this is a good one. Sadly I don't have that many friends who play League when I'm on .
    There should still be some way of getting out of un-fun games in random queue though. Dota2 has AI that takes over the champ, why not League? The League AI for doombots 5 was mechanically pretty good and should suffice imo.
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped playing LoL because literally 3/5 games I played someone DC or AFK. Never once went a single day without multiple games like this. It's sickening. I just gave up because most of my friends on my list and I are never available at same times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to a team game that bases your skill off a queue that is called solo queue. If you want to play a game that doesn't require you to play with others then play something like Starcraft or a fighting game. Also I disagree with them getting off scott free in terms of chat restrictions, I hate chat restrictions. Whenever I've had them it's the worst thing ever, I'm unable bar the ping system to explain very specific things that I need to tell my teammates.

I will admit I was quite the dick to certain players on my teams because they would do the same thing over and over again and expect better results with each time having a bigger disadvantage than the previous attempt due to numbers snowballing for the enemy. I said things like, "Look I get you like to dive into the fed enemy bot lane but it's not working out and it's making you look like a retard who doesn't know his left from right". Never did I say stuff like, "get cancer", as I feel that has no basis on what was actually happening. I'd always exactly what I saw was going wrong but after them doing it over and over again I'd always end it with an insult. More recently I've stopped doing that as chat restriction is a pain in the ass when you see things that your team doesn't or that something needs to be pointed out that a ping may not fully perceive what you saw.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2015-01-12 at 07:07 PM.
    Hey everyone

Welcome to mobas. Please enjoy your stay.

But on a serious note, yes every player becomes "toxic". The difference is how the players react to it.

-Do i get annoyed when there's a feeder/afk in my team? Fuck yes.
    -Do i start abusing other people in chat when im angry? no

Just learn to stay calm, and grow a thicker skin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Yeah this is a good one. Sadly I don't have that many friends who play League when I'm on .
    There should still be some way of getting out of un-fun games in random queue though. Dota2 has AI that takes over the champ, why not League? The League AI for doombots 5 was mechanically pretty good and should suffice imo.
    They really should do this, and perhaps they will in the future - I don't know. As you say DOTA2 does it - so does heroes of the storm. I suppose if the bot is too easy then it'll get farmed for kills and potentially be even worse than an AFKer in base, if a bot is too good then it potentially gives the team an advantage. I think the league AI has problems with team fighting and choosing lanes to be honest, maybe why they haven't done it... but it is strange that other mobas have it successfully implemented but league hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffer the Consequences View Post
    this. i found many friends i can play with by adding them to friends after games

Also ARAM is the best way (for me at least) to get away from those ranked losing streak
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear blaming other things when you're at fault is the best way to resolving a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    I hear blaming other things when you're at fault is the best way to resolving a problem.
    Wow, it's almost like you ignored every point that I've made in my post and just picked up #28 from your book of generic comments.
    The problem is that the game doesn't give you any tools to deal with toxic people except not playing.

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    I stopped playing LoL because literally 3/5 games I played someone DC or AFK. Never once went a single day without multiple games like this. It's sickening. I just gave up because most of my friends on my list and I are never available at same times.
    Stopped playing MOBAs a couple months ago and this was one of the major reasons. Doesn't matter whether it was LoL, Dota, Smite, or even that terrible DC Comics one with a victorian batman. Join game...someone D/Cs or goes AFK so you will carry them...ain't nobody got time for that.
    Happy new year to all, and to all a good night!

10+ Year Old Account
    The toxicity is especially real in mobas it seems. There is no compassion for people who don't play uber mlg and know everything about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

this is going to be a problem in any and every online game ever. If there's forced player interaction, you cant avoid this, you just have to make the best of bad situations. Or not play if it's too much for you.

I don't play LoL but a short experience with HoTS made me decide that I'm not going to play it unless I can queue with at least a couple of friends. Even in random BGs in WoW, the experience is immeasurably improved if you're not in with total randoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

In my opinion, the biggest problem MOBAs have, is that you can't do anything about who you team up with. Take a game like WoW; if you get a shit player in your group you can just remove them, if you get a shit group you can just leave.

In MOBAs, you can't do anything. You get teamed with a troll who tells you all in champion select that he's deliberately going to lose the game to lower his MMR, or somehing retarded like that? Leave the game and get punished for it, or don't leave and almost certainly take a loss. In either case you get fucked. Same shit if the game has started. You have some troll trolling, and you can't do anything about it. You can't remove them from the game. You can't even leave the game before it's over. So you're fucked again.

The solution to this is obvious: VERY harsh punishments for this sort of behaviour. Permanent ranked bans; segregation to griefer-only player pools; that sort of thing.

Riot doesn't seem to want to do that though, for some reason, so if you play LoL you're kind of fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    this is going to be a problem in any and every online game ever. If there's forced player interaction, you cant avoid this, you just have to make the best of bad situations. Or not play if it's too much for you.
    True, but you can mitigate it. Riot just doesn't want to, for whatever reason.

The only result that isn't directly negative towards the victim is /ignoring all the toxic players and then lose the match because they're still ruining it for you. Since fun > everything else this makes for a very poor option, even though it's the only one that won't get YOU in trouble.
    You have to remember that most Trolls just aren't interested in dialog, they either want to vent their hatred to an audience, or to ruin the game for everyone else. Muting deals with the first kind easilly enough, but ignoring players is just one step you can take.
    In my experience, the method that's proven most effective at dealing with the second kind of Troll is to try get the rest of your team to join in with them. I know that sounds very counter productive, but them insisting on playing AP Garen mid, or whatever it is they're trying to do, is far less effective when everyone else is doing something equally silly too. Show them that you're going to have fun no matter how much they try to ruin it for you. Think of it as a chance to do something you would never normally be able to get away with in a game and have everyone else be cool with it if you can get them on board.

Dota2 has AI that takes over the champ, why not League? The League AI for doombots 5 was mechanically pretty good and should suffice imo.
    This is only for Limited Pick mode, which has a very small pool of Heroes to pick from and is intended to ease new players into the game. Dota doesn't even have AI for most of their Heroes, so extending this to the rest of the game would take lots of work. Furthermore, the Dota bots even on their most difficult settings are still a pushover for good players and are going to end up just feeding. You'd be better off playing 4v5 most of the time.
    The opposite could be true too. If the player skill is low, having someone DC and ending up with a bot that's far better than any of the Human players in the game would probably result in people actively encouraging other players to leave the game so they could get a win. Its an idea with some merit to it to be sure, but its got just as many flaws too which could easily result in it making things worse rather than better.

If anything, the one thing LoL could probably consider lifting from Dota is dividing up the gold a DCed player earned with the rest of their team. Its not ideal of course, but it does help make up for the handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Its always going to be a problem on some level, often for a variety of reasons, which just makes coming up with a solution for it that much harder as you need to target specific player groups rather than address the problem as a whole. Steps can be taking to help prevent these issues, such as muting people, but eliminating them entirely is nearly impossible.
    Making the most of bad situations is good and well, but a lot of problems could be avoided all together if people learned how to communicate with each other without being dicks about it. Unfortunately the chances of that ever happening are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Where u low level? Because once yo get to max teams get a lot more consistent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't play LoL but a short experience with HoTS made me decide that I'm not going to play it unless I can queue with at least a couple of friends. Even in random BGs in WoW, the experience is immeasurably improved if you're not in with total randoms.
    In normals and ranked 5v5 you can queue with a premade team. You can also do the same in hots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    The toxicity is especially real in mobas it seems. There is no compassion for people who don't play uber mlg and know everything about everything.
    In normals just mute them but if come into ranked and don't know lane match ups or how to build your champion they have every reason to be mad because its a team based game. League is a game balanced around everyone on your team contributing and when someone isn't and they do everything possible to make sure the game is a lose. Its not hard to see why people rage but its also not an excuse for them to be toxic.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2015-01-21 at 02:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WATT?!
    R u srs?
    Pls someone respond to this because if controlling left players is gone from dota then it's one of the worst fucking things they could implement in a game (while the best thing would be return of fucking ring when you can lock leaver up so he won't be killed by double zeus ult)
    - - - Updated - - -

LT;DR at the bottom.

In League of Legends, every possible result ends up in the victim being punished by Riot.

Scenario: You get into a game with a toxic player. This person is being toxic by either being rude or purposely hindering gameplay (going afk, dying on purpose, taking buffs when they're not supposed to or building something weird because "it's lost anyways").

You can choose to ignore them but that wont stop them from diving the enemy team or tower by themselves at lvl 5. Punishment: No fun because you're losing for dumb reasons.
    You can try to surrender but 90% of the time there will be at least 2 red votes. Punishment: No fun and you're FORCED to keep playing or YOU get reported.
    You can try to go afk but then you won't be able to report them and they will in fact report YOU. Punishment: Getting chat restricted/banned and the toxic person gets off free.

TL;DR: There is no method of avoiding toxic players that doesn't severely punish the player. This results in players themselves becoming toxic due to them feeling powerless.
    Being rude itself is not toxic, "dying on purpose" is usually very subjective thing (maybe he was too distracted to see this Hourglass on enemy Lysandra and dived her tower), taking buffs "when they're not supposed" is subjective thing too, junglers take first blue and/or first red - then it's basically FFA on buffs, not many junglers need buffs anyways, building "something weird" is subjective too.

Off course if i see on tribunal people who yell at their team constantly without any reasons ("OMG YOU FUCKING SCRUBS STOP DYING NOOBS" is toxic "OMG STOP SOLOING" is not), while having mobility boots + 5 zeals and rocking 0/40/0 and 150 CS i would say that he fits in your scenario, otherwise - you are just trying to call bad players - toxic players, they are often not.

You can utilize him as meat shield and sneak bunch of kills/assists, this is basically the best thing you can do, but in 1 out of 100 situations talking him down will work too. Games are not supposed to be fun, especially competitive, LoL is competitive game (even if you don't consider as one), playing 4v6 is very competitive and hard, and if you manage to stagnate the game to 60 minutes where you all have 6 slots it becomes very easy to win by catching people off guard. If you want to have fun in LoL, play with friends or make them, it doesn't takes 900/900 friendship skill to make some friends to play LoL. Also, losing can be fun too, even when someone feeds enemy out of proportions (we've won a game where we just 4 man pushed top lane while enemy was too busy taking dragon and pushing bot lane, they had 17 kills Vayne)

Surrendering is opposite of fun, so you either have no fun, or have no fun, and i'm probably one of these 2 red votes in your games. And no, you still can leave and take penalty, it's a thing, you know, getting punished for leaving. You can say that you are FORCED to keep playing because you have to go in 20 minutes but for some stupid reason you thought that it's a good idea to go ranked now.

Why exactly you want to go AFK if you already spending time in game? Why don't, you know, just play it and report bad guy afterwards? Toxic player will be punished exactly the same as you for the same things 0 being toxic (yes, responding to toxicity by toxicity is toxic, so for 3 other guys on your team, you two will look exactly the same)

Again, the game is not supposed to be fun, especially ranked games (if you are talking about normals, then i don't get it, why are you so upset about losses?), having fun from the game is like car exhaust, it's side effect, main effect is the feel of accomplishment from achieving something (say, platinum rankings).

And you literally cannot remove idiots from internet, so just suck it up and keep playing. That's the way how it works, it's like saying "i want to eat junk food every day in enormous amounts but not to get fat!".

And one more thing - if you, in response of someone intentionally (which your subjective opinion, you don't even know if the guy with 6 deaths on top doing this intentionally or was horribly missmatched or counterpicked by fucking Gnar into Rene) ruining the game (spamming surrender also falls in this category, and spamming pings because they bloat the map and distract from the game) start AFKing, feeding, raging, etc (be toxic) you become one of them (toxic players) in eyes of 9 other people playing this round, they will instantly think that you do this every single match (and be honest, when you see someone intentionally feeding like running towards enemy Nexus whole game, you think that they do this every single game), so you are probably not better than they are, since it's impossible to play many games without people interpreting your actions as toxic.

TL;DR: you can't tell if the person is toxic, or is he just have a bad game by a single match, that's why we have report system, by responding by toxicity to toxicity you only increase the degree of a problem, leave it to riot to determine if the person is worth banning (and if you ever stepped into tribunal - you'll see that really toxic players are much worse than almost anything you had in your games).
    The game is not supposed to be fun, especially ranked, to have fun from a game you have to meet certain conditions, and meeting them in ranked is almost impossible because you can't be sure about people you get in your/enemy team.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guru Laghima View Post
    Welcome to a team game that bases your skill off a queue that is called solo queue. If you want to play a game that doesn't require you to play with others then play something like Starcraft or a fighting game. Also I disagree with them getting off scott free in terms of chat restrictions, I hate chat restrictions. Whenever I've had them it's the worst thing ever, I'm unable bar the ping system to explain very specific things that I need to tell my teammates.

I will admit I was quite the dick to certain players on my teams because they would do the same thing over and over again and expect better results with each time having a bigger disadvantage than the previous attempt due to numbers snowballing for the enemy. I said things like, "Look I get you like to dive into the fed enemy bot lane but it's not working out and it's making you look like a retard who doesn't know his left from right". Never did I say stuff like, "get cancer", as I feel that has no basis on what was actually happening. I'd always exactly what I saw was going wrong but after them doing it over and over again I'd always end it with an insult. More recently I've stopped doing that as chat restriction is a pain in the ass when you see things that your team doesn't or that something needs to be pointed out that a ping may not fully perceive what you saw.
    That's why you never go down to toxic player level, you will both get penalty, instead of only him getting penalty because you were too dumb to get provoked by his actions, har har
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2015-01-21 at 06:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Again, the game is not supposed to be fun, especially ranked games (if you are talking about normals, then i don't get it, why are you so upset about losses?), having fun from the game is like car exhaust, it's side effect
    What the hell am i reading ?

10+ Year Old Account
    WATT?!
    R u srs?
    Pls someone respond to this because if controlling left players is gone from dota then it's one of the worst fucking things they could implement in a game

Iirc, only in some co-op games and not in ranked.