Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Yes, Atheists are even MORE Distrusted than We Thought

A large majority of Protestants (71%) – including 82% of white evangelical Protestants – say they would be less likely to support a candidate who does not believe in God. Catholics would view an absence of belief in God less negatively (48% less likely), while only about a quarter (24%) of the religiously unaffiliated say they would be less likely to favor a candidate who does not believe in God.

A candidate’s identification as an evangelical Christian or Catholic would not matter to most Americans. About one-in-five (21%) would be more likely to support an evangelical Christian; 17% would be less likely and 58% say this wouldn’t be a factor. However, most white evangelical Protestants (58%) say they would be more likely to support a candidate who shares their faith.

A substantial majority of the public (81%) say it would not matter to them if a presidential candidate is Catholic. Among Catholics, 23% would be more likely to support a Catholic candidate, while 72% say it wouldn’t matter.

There is a sizable partisan divide in views of a candidate’s religion. For Republicans, a candidate being an evangelical Christian is a net positive (36% more likely, 5% less likely); for Democrats, more say it would decrease (27%) than increase (12%) their chances of supporting a candidate.

And while 70% of Republicans say they would be less likely to support a candidate who does not believe in God, Democrats are more ambivalent: 42% say they would be less likely to support an atheist, while 49% say it wouldn’t matter to them.

I find it hard to believe my secular bubble is this thick, but I guess it is. I can't imagine that the vast majority of people in Chicago would not vote for an atheist but then again I wouldn't be THAT surprised since looking at the results of this sad, depressing poll. We're a secular country and people would rather trust someone who cheats on their partner than someone who doesn't believe in religion.

Looks like I won't be President anytime soon

Mod note: Please be respectful towards the general off-topic rules about not discussing religion; this discussion is perfectly fine as long as everyone stays in the area of the study itself rather than the related religious components
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2014-05-20 at 03:07 AM.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    They'll take the one who has never held officer over the atheist. lol
    I laughed too.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, most of these things...someone would be multiple of them. Not just one. So sure, someone might think being an Atheist is a big negative. Then again, the combination of a number of other "negative" traits might be a lot more detrimental.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

They'll take the one who has never held office over the atheist. lol
    Which seems overblown as well. One would think being a freshman would mean you've been penetrated less by the corporate lobby.

15+ Year Old Account
    I laughed at some of the things even some people voted "More likely to vote for". Even if it's only 2%, some people would be MORE LIKELY to vote for a president if he had an extramarital affair.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Which seems overblown as well. One would think being a freshman would mean you've been penetrated less by the corporate lobby.
    Right. If anything, I would be more likely to vote for someone who has never held office if the person is otherwise intelligent and capable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I laughed at some of the things even some people voted "More likely to vote for". Even if it's only 2%, some people would be MORE LIKELY to vote for a president if he had an extramarital affair.
    Dat North Korea

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Americans fear what they don't understand, news at 11.

Brb, sacrificing aborted fetuses to Satan in exchange for drugs, sex and violence.

I genuinely hope something is wrong with these data, this is just sad

15+ Year Old Account
    On the bright side, almost half of those surveyed wouldn't view a candidate negatively for his or her lack of theism.

Not going to win any elections that way, but that's a lot of people who don't hate you (and me).

I've resigned myself to the dumbest parts of our country having contempt for me. I wish that'd fix itself, but I'm not counting on it, and I don't live around these idiots, so I try not to get too wound up about it.

The presidency isn't a place for fucking noobs.
    Just get qualified people and delegate.

Shock horror, the religious have deep seeded mistrust in anything and anyone that questions their beliefs. An atheist in a position of power is basically a big fuck you apparently.

Personally I'd be much more likely to vote for an atheist. I'd rather a politician's number one responsibility to be the people, not some deity. I'd rather a persons morality to be shaped through life experiences, not set to a predetermined list of rules.

All this means is that you need to "find Jesus" a few years before you run for office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Wait, so people dislike atheists more than gays by an almost 2:1 margin? Why haven't I heard anything about a War on Atheism? Where's the cries for equality? Where is the anti-discrimination campaign? Where is Hollywood on this issue?

Way to get carried through Looking For Office.

But seriously, I wouldn't want to vote for someone who has never held any office on at least the state level.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, my third party candidates might not have. Whatever.
    The only thing you really have to look for, is somebody who realizes they don't have all the answers and can take advice from qualified individuals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The only thing you really have to look for, is somebody who realizes they don't have all the answers and can take advice from qualified individuals.
    Channeling Tywin Lannister there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's too bad there's no age group differential in that report.

I'm sure that "less likely to support" number would be smaller among people under 35. You just have to wait until all the old folk die off, then maybe you'll get your shot, Great Oak.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They provided a lot of the material in our science books at least.
    My science books (before college) prepared me to defend myself against the lies of the evolutionary biologists, and geologists, and archaeologists, and anthropologists, and climatologists, and...you get the idea.

They didn't prepare me very well, but the section of the population contributing the lion's share of that "less likely to vote for an atheist" percentage is very prepared to discount science's take on things.

eta: maybe not the lion's share, but "White Evangelical" did downvote the atheist candidate the most strongly, with 82% against (And strangely, 2% for. I don't know those people, but I would be interested in having a conversation with them.).
    Last edited by Mnevis; 2014-05-20 at 03:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Channeling Tywin Lannister there?
    or Lincoln! Although he did hold office briefly...

10+ Year Old Account
    Tied with gay/lesbian and both only a step up from extramarital affair, and pot smoker is trusted a little more (someone who is presently stoned would be more trustworthy than I am??)...well that's flattery for ya.

In all seriousness though, can't say I'm much surprised, but the one that irks me is that business executive is trusted so much more than us atheist sorts AND so many others. REALLY?
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-05-20 at 03:42 AM.