Legendary cloak and 5.4.8 and pre-upgrade

If you were to buy a new legendary cloak today, would it come 2/4 pre-upgraded or 4/4 pre-upgraded? Trying to figure out if I can game the system by not spending valor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    If you were to buy a new legendary cloak today, would it come 2/4 pre-upgraded or 4/4 pre-upgraded? Trying to figure out if I can game the system by not spending valor.

If pre-5.4.8 a new cloak was received at 0/2, and 5.4.8 adds two more upgrade levels, then logic dictates a new cloak would be 0/4 as Blizzard is offering further upgrades, not 2 free upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    If pre-5.4.8 a new cloak was received at 0/2, and 5.4.8 adds two more upgrade levels, then logic dictates a new cloak would be 0/4 as Blizzard is offering further upgrades, not 2 free upgrades.
    This is wrong. Pre-5.4.8 cloaks came pre-upgraded 2/2. I just bought a new cloak 2 weeks ago for challenge modes because I'm too lazy to regem/reforge/re-enchant, and it came 2/2.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    He means if his epic was 2/2 does he get a 4/4 Legendary. The answer is no as the system will only recognize the upgrade on the prior item and since you can't upgrade the epic to a 4/4 then the best you can do is get a 2/4 Legendary and upgrade it the rest of the way.

So no...no gaming the valor :P

This is wrong. Pre-5.4.8 cloaks came pre-upgraded 2/2. I just bought a new cloak 2 weeks ago for challenge modes because I'm too lazy to regem/reforge/re-enchant, and it came 2/2.
    Cloaks come pre-upgraded ONLY if you have the epic upgraded. If you bought the same cloak (ie another spell dps and you had spell dps) it'll still come upgraded. If you bought another type it wouldn't come upgraded unless you upgraded the epic version. I tried that when I bought the healing and tank after having melee dps upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Cloaks come pre-upgraded ONLY if you have the epic upgraded. If you bought the same cloak (ie another spell dps and you had spell dps) it'll still come upgraded. If you bought another type it wouldn't come upgraded unless you upgraded the epic version. I tried that when I bought the healing and tank after having melee dps upgraded.
    The second melee dps cloak I did not upgrade the epic version (0/2). I applied the legendary item to it, and it magically turned 2/2 and legendary. Also I got the tank cloak on the same toon some time ago before that with the same scenario. I bought the epic version 0/2, immediately bought the legendary item and applied it, and it magically turned 2/2.

Point is, at no point, did I -ever- upgrade any of the epic versions of the cloak with valor points, and in every scenario when upgraded to legendary, I got a free 2/2. So I'm asking if I did the same exact thing today, would I get a 2/4 or a 4/4 after turning it legendary.

And since the epic cloak is from 5.3, they don't have the ability to be upgraded 4x. Only 5.4 items can do 4 upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by jrch5618 View Post
    And since the epic cloak is from 5.3, they don't have the ability to be upgraded 4x. Only 5.4 items can do 4 upgrades.
    This isn't what I am asking and is off topic. Please read the post before yours.

- - - Updated - - -

So nobody really knows, and only way to find out is spend the gold.

well idk about "buying a new one" but i literally got my cloak today and it came 2/4
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    well idk about "buying a new one" but i literally got my cloak today and it came 2/4
    That's exactly what I needed to know. I don't know why that was so hard for everyone else to answer. Thank you.

That's exactly what I needed to know. I don't know why that was so hard for everyone else to answer. Thank you.
    probably same reason why you made this thread.

Likely because nobody has a damn clue until someone who's actually done it, does it.

[/FONT]
    incorrect... i did not upgrade the epic cloak ... the legendary cloak came 2/2 upgraded.

He means if his epic was 2/2 does he get a 4/4 Legendary. The answer is no as the system will only recognize the upgrade on the prior item and since you can't upgrade the epic to a 4/4 then the best you can do is get a 2/4 Legendary and upgrade it the rest of the way.

So no...no gaming the valor :P

Everything you said is completely wrong but anyways to answer the OP's question no this does not work I bought an extra one to see and only received 2/4.

10+ Year Old Account
    The second melee dps cloak I did not upgrade the epic version (0/2). I applied the legendary item to it, and it magically turned 2/2 and legendary. Also I got the tank cloak on the same toon some time ago before that with the same scenario. I bought the epic version 0/2, immediately bought the legendary item and applied it, and it magically turned 2/2.

Point is, at no point, did I -ever- upgrade any of the epic versions of the cloak with valor points, and in every scenario when upgraded to legendary, I got a free 2/2. So I'm asking if I did the same exact thing today, would I get a 2/4 or a 4/4 after turning it legendary.
    No, we get that we all got the free upgrade when going from epic to legendary cloak. What we are saying is that the quest gives you a legendary that has two upgrades. The buff gives the legendary cape two more upgrade, lets call them slots. 2/2 and 2/4 are the same, because two upgrades on a 2/2 and a 2/4 are both 608 ilvl. So, since they didn't say they are buffing legendary cloaks, but instead giving them more upgrade potential, turning in the final quest of the chain would get you the same ilvl 608 cape, but instead of having both upgrade slots filled, you still have two more slots open.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just got my cloak today after the last set of runestones and it came upgraded 2/4.
    It did not come with 4/4.

Maybe that helps.

Ye be quite welcome : )
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM