Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Giving a trophy has nothing to do with qualifications. You got an A, or a degree, or whatever the goal was. Suggesting that you wouldn't have even tried without the promise of some trophy on top of that makes me sad in the face.
    I stated I'd have settled for great, simply because it's better than average and about 20-25 hours less work a week.

I wouldn't have competed with the curve simply for my own need to prove myself to myself, I'm aware of my limitations and abilities. But there were tangible benefits, so it made it worthwhile to sacrifice a ridiculous amount of my time.

A good bit of the point behind of this kind of thing is to promote competition, which (in theory) results in higher performance. In practice, the outcome can be zero sum or even detrimental, depending on the character and upbringing of the students.

Healthy competition is just not something everybody is able to understand or abide by, unfortunately. Everyonce in a while you'll hear a story about narcissistic parents trying to neuter any environment where their child *might* be perceived as "inferior".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not getting the reward despite working as hard as you can.

Negative punishment.
    "Being punished by not getting an award" is a pretty victimized way of looking at others getting awards for doing better than you did.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted

Negative punishment.
    People aren't made equal...deal with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "Being punished by not getting an award" is a pretty victimized way of looking at others getting awards for doing better than you did.
    Pretty much.

Deleted

Negative punishment.
    Did you read my description?

Students got recognized for a variety of factors, from personal improvement, exemplary improvements, displaying a good character etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking away a positive stimulus (i.e. the promise of reward) is by definition negative punishment.

So psychologically it could be argued that rewards like that are actually counterproductive to the desired goal of getting everyone to excel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    People aren't made equal...deal with it.
    I am. By recommending solutions that are not in fact based off pop psychology or a priori reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Taking away a positive stimulus (i.e. the promise of reward) is by definition negative punishment.

So psychologically it could be argued that rewards like that are actually counterproductive to the desired goal of getting everyone to excel.

- - - Updated - - -

I am. By recommending solutions that are not in fact based off pop psychology or a priori reasoning.
    It could be argued, quite poorly.

Positive reinforcement is a key method of promoting continued excellence.

You threw out your awards in protest?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    Think this is relevant
    Yeah! this video and especially the "violent people think very highly of themselves!" -line was the first thing that came to mind while reading the OP
    I've no idea what to write here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    It could be argued, quite poorly.

Positive reinforcement is a key method of promoting continued excellence.
    Of which encouraging competition is not, in fact, a necessarily good example.

You threw out your awards in protest?
    No, I just rarely attended any award ceremonies even if I was receiving them.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    They aren't taking away a positive stimulus because it isn't naturally "given" to all the students only to have a group of them deprived of it.

By your logic, giving a dog a treat when they sit on command only serves to make every second of the day in which you aren't giving him a treat "negative punishment."
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2014-05-21 at 10:32 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

As a person who has seen others surpass me on almost every level I never had issues with others getting some special attention as long as these people don't act like asshats about it.

Someone who puts in extra effort deserves to be awarded more, it's simple as that. And if you happen to be born lucky that you good at what you do with no effort then good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    They aren't taking away a positive stimulus because it isn't naturally "given" to the student only to have a group of them deprived of it.

By your logic, giving a dog a treat when they sit on command only serves to make every second of the day in which you aren't giving him a treat "negative punishment."
    It would go some way towards explaining why random reinforcement tends to be the most effective when cultivating specific behaviors.

And no, my entire point that reducing academic achievement to a binary state of conditioning is self-defeating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Well we should be trying to make everyone a winner instead of just further honoring those who would already be winners...
    This comment is pretty pointless, the year is over so there is nothing to be done. The school and the students themselves had all year to make them all/themselves "winners". I don't see why you can't strive to make as many good and successful students while still honoring those with some extra skill/effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    For inventing the word Wow-ification alone you should be banned from receiving any award for 10 years regardless.

Otherwise, the award/trophy hype should really be stopped.
    Back to the roots..... Awards for sports competitions, and only 1, 2, 3 place receive a prize.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    This comment is pretty pointless, the year is over so there is nothing to be done. The school and the students themselves had all year to make them all/themselves "winners". I don't see why you can't strive to make as many good and successful students while still honoring those with some extra skill/effort.
    Because it takes attention away from the pursuit of excellence itself.

You're essentially trying to apply the principles of educating a dog to educating a human.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would go some way towards explaining why random reinforcement tends to be the most effective when cultivating specific behaviors.
    That's not really addressing what I said.

And no, my entire point that reducing academic achievement to a binary state of conditioning is self-defeating.
    ...except it very literally isn't pass/fail. Maybe if the system existed in which students that got 95% and up got an award, and that was the only way in which they could learn of what their grade was, and no one else was ever told what grade they got and only knew that it was below the threshold, then that would be the case. But frankly, it isn't. You KNOW what grade you get. Some students get something saying "gee that grade is really neat." That someone naturally assumes that "all other grades are therefore inferior and you suck" would speak to deep psychological problems that need addressing.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...except it very literally isn't pass/fail. Maybe if the system existed in which students that got 95% and up got an award, and that was the only way in which they could learn of what their grade was, and everyone else was never told what grade they got and only knew that it was below the threshold, then that would be the case. But frankly, it isn't. You KNOW what grade you get. Some students get something saying "gee that grade is really neat." That someone naturally assumes that "all other grades are therefore inferior and you suck" would speak to deep psychological problems that need addressing.
    We're talking about awards here, not grades.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're talking about awards here, not grades.
    Well the funny thing is, awards in the education system are usually based on grades. They don't exist as separate entities. The awards are usually "this person got this grade."
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the funny thing is, awards are usually based on grades. They don't exist as separate entities.
    And the devil is in the distinction.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the devil is in the distinction.
    There isn't any palpable distinction, because people usually get awards for their grades.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.