Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Optical Drive with this build?

Hello

So here's the build I have been told is what I should get. I mentioned this to a friend and he said I need an optical drive. First thing, I am not sure what an Optical Drives does and second do I need one? Or is it not worth getting one. Sorry I'm sure this sounds really dumb but I'd rather look dumb now than hand over all the parts for someone to put it together and ask why I don't have one.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hn89

Thanks for the help!
    It's like picking between two block's nacking your wife.- G nev

10+ Year Old Account
    Optical Drive = CD/DVD drive

Personally, I don't get them anymore. The last time I used one was years ago. Most things can be done/installed online, over network, or on flash drive.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Thank you once again. However my question for that is how would I install windows 8.1 than? Or is that something the IT guy who is putting it together will know how to do. He works for a large company so he knows what hes doing. This is just info for me

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like having at least one optical drive, just in case you want to open an old CD/DVD with something that you forgot you had on it.

I personally prefer windows 7 over 8/8.1 and I would also get 240gb SSD since its like $50 more but doubles the size of a hard drive that will go down fairly quick even if you just use it for OS and few softwares.

Edit: Most of the stores use their flash drives or external CD/DVD drives if they need to install something without a computer having an optical drive.

The only reason I see to not have one is if you're doing a custom build (not assembly) and want to prioritize space and aesthetics. Otherwise, it's a one time $20 purchase that lets you be a bit more versatile.

Deleted
    Since your paying 140bucks for a mobo why don't you get a Z97 at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Since your paying 140bucks for a mobo why don't you get a Z97 at least?
    I don't know what this means. Is it something that would make a big difference I am new to custom rigs

- - - Updated - - -

Would you be willing to had the 240g bg SSD to this so I can order everything. I am not sure what to do. I dont want to add the wrong part.

Thanks!

Deleted
    Z87 are the 4generation motherboards, mostly used with i5/i7 k to overclock. The new ones that are already available replacing those Z87 are the Z97.

I believe Electroso was referring to Crucial M500 240GB ssd.

Z87 are the 4generation motherboards, mostly used with i5/i7 k to overclock. The new ones that are already available replacing those Z87 are the Z97.

I believe Electroso was referring to Crucial M500 240GB ssd.
    I'm sorry for the huge inconvenince but can you add those to the parts list and re link it. I do not want to take the chance on doing it and some how ordering the wrong parts. Im not trying to be lazy I'm just trying to make sure not to make a 200 dollar mistake!

Deleted
    Personally I would get <$100 Z87 board. IMO SLI/Crossfire or extreme overclocking are the only reasons one should get expensive motherboard. Even the basic boards have plenty enough connectors and features for average user.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggsy View Post
    I'm sorry for the huge inconvenince but can you add those to the parts list and re link it. I do not want to take the chance on doing it and some how ordering the wrong parts. Im not trying to be lazy I'm just trying to make sure not to make a 200 dollar mistake!
    Sure this is the build you linked + 240gb ssd instead of 120gb (click on the PCPartPicker part list):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($75.60 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.23 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1076.68
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-24 11:07 EDT-0400)

As a sidenote if you will, with a few adjustments with same money better setup:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.23 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($279.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1068.07
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-24 11:08 EDT-0400)

Also in a week there will be new i5 proccessors coming out, which probably means you could get a new one with same money or get this same one you just picked cheaper.

I used a DVD player from my old desktop (late 2006) externally to install Windows on my current desktop and removed the drive after it was done. There is very little reason to have one permanently, with everything being downloadable.

They aren't expensive, but if you have an old one lying around somewhere, use that instead and save some money.

Sure this is the build you linked + 240gb ssd instead of 120gb (click on the PCPartPicker part list):

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($75.60 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1076.68
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-24 11:07 EDT-0400)

As a sidenote if you will, with a few adjustments with same money better setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($279.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1068.07
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-24 11:08 EDT-0400)

Also in a week there will be new i5 proccessors coming out, which probably means you could get a new one with same money or get this same one you just picked cheaper.
    I bought the second build you made, me being dumb I didnt look at anything. The motherboard does not have any reviews on any website ive seen. Why is that?

I would say definitely get an optical drive of some kind. If you think you may watch blueray movies on your system, get a bluray drive, if not, you can get a DVD writer for ~20-30$. There are still many things you will need an optical drive for, like any software or games you buy in store, windows reinstall etc.

Yeah I'm going to be getting a dvd player...im reallt hoping this second build is a good option. Or sell I just spent alot of money on something that wont work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought the second build you made, me being dumb I didnt look at anything. The motherboard does not have any reviews on any website ive seen. Why is that?
    New, as in very new.

Deleted
    As Remilia said is brand new stuff, Z97 boards, you won't find many consumer reviews? Is there something wrong with it, you dont like it?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you did the right thing. Don't worry about the build you got, these guys are good

I have the Corsair 200R case, love it.

You can get a dvd drive later if you want, they are easy to install, and pretty cheap. You can even get an external USB one that you just connect when you want.

As Remilia said is brand new stuff, Z97 boards, you won't find many consumer reviews? Is there something wrong with it, you dont like it?
    I havent gotten anything in yet should be here tomorrow or Friday. I wasnt trying to be rude, your help has been great. The only thing I was worried about is why there wasn't any reviews. I was not aware that they are that new no one has given a review on them. I took it as no one buys them. My apologize! I am really looking forward to getting this thing running.

On a side note my friend got the top build, a week before and said that the CPU cooler does not fit the CPU so he used the stock. Will this be a problem?

Once again thank you very one for the HUGE help!

Deleted
    On a side note my friend got the top build, a week before and said that the CPU cooler does not fit the CPU so he used the stock. Will this be a problem?
    No reason it wouldn't fit. Either case is big enough (200R and HAF-912) and the CPU heatsink also fits LGA1150 which the i5-4670k is.