Thread: Upgrading my PC

Deleted

Upgrading my PC

Hello everyone!
    This is my first post here on MMO Champion, but I have been visiting this site regularly for WoW news and such. Now, on to why I'm here!

My computer is from 2012 with a couple of older components. I want to upgrade my computer to make it quieter and faster. It doesn't have to run games at the highest graphics option but I want it to be able to handle games on a higher than normal setting.
    My budget is somewhere around 700$

My current setup is:
    AMD Radeon 7900 HD Series
    8GB RAM
    AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor
    XFX Pro Series 850W Black Edition PSU
    1 TB Sata HD
    CM Storm Enforcer Case (The walls are lined with sound dampening rubber)
    Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Motherboard
    Not sure about the fans, but there is:
    one small in the back
    one big in the front
    one on the CPU

Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by mmoc2bb64f30be; 2014-05-24 at 06:43 PM.

Deleted
    That's still a seriously good PC you have there. For the most cost effective upgrade you'll want to reuse the RAM, GPU, HDD, PSU and case. I would upgrade the CPU (and thus the motherboard if you go intel), and buy an SSD. Voila, a seriously good PC for nowhere near your budget. Get a better graphics card if you must, but you really don't need it from what you said your goal was.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by explosion987 View Post
    That's still a seriously good PC you have there. For the most cost effective upgrade you'll want to reuse the RAM, GPU, HDD, PSU and case. I would upgrade the CPU (and thus the motherboard if you go intel), and buy an SSD. Voila, a seriously good PC for nowhere near your budget. Get a better graphics card if you must, but you really don't need it from what you said your goal was.
    Thank you for the quick response!
    Do you have any suggestions of how to deal with the sound situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmiser View Post
    Thank you for the quick response!
    Do you have any suggestions of how to deal with the sound situation?
    Depends on where the sound is coming from, and what that sound is. If it's the fans, you can buy some replacements that may be quieter. You can try a drop of oil(you can use WD40 if you have nothing else) if you're using a ball bearing fan, just remove the sticker and the cap, that's always worked for me if I had some kind of strange sound in a new fan, or with an older fan.

Another option is to just use one of those noise cancelling headsets and put some music on.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-05-24 at 11:17 PM.

How loud are your fans that you can't deal with them? Like one guy said, you may just need some new case fans. Since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming your cpu fan is stock, so that shouldn't be too loud, unless your shit is dusty and running hot. What about your GPU, though? You shouldn't discount its fans.
    Last edited by gooftastic; 2014-05-24 at 11:15 PM.

Deleted
    Reference cooler on HD 7900 is the most likely source of noise. You could connect the case fans to motherboard and use bios options to undervolt them for less noise.

Deleted
    More fans, with a target temp setting, should knock the noise down. You'll ideally want to get from the same manufacturer, primarily for aesthetic reasons. My recommendations would be one of these three:

Bitfenix Spectre
    Corsair AF (Quiet)
    Noctua S12A FLX

You can also get Static Pressure fans from Corsair. You should be able to undervolt these for improved noise reduction, should the case fans be the issue.